335i..8 months on

gangzoom

Yep, youd drive straight past these two without even looking ..........

As for the other pics I posted, none of them are M3's, all three are just wheels and lowering, thats not major modification.

If they're not M3s they've gone to a lot of trouble to change the front wings and bonnet. I could be wrong but i've never seen those Bulged/Vented bonnets on any other 3 series.

DB

Fair play, the sites claimed they were 335's though. Either way they look bloody good to me eye :cloud9:

Agreed, nicely understated but not boring. Actually had a deposit on a 335i coupe before the zed but chickened out at the last minute as it would have meant borrowing. Pretty good decision as I got made redundant about a fortnight later :lol:

DB

Cheers for the comments about the car!! Still if it wasn't for me wanting 4 seats I think I would be in a 370Z now :teeth:

I also don't get why people modify a 3 series? Most people buy one as it has four seats, four doors, a big boot and is great car to cart the family around in. But why they spend thousands of pounds trying to make it a car it's not? Gangzoom has already spent £22k which could have bought:

http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/3688883.htm

M3/Impreza/Evo were all none starters, the wife hated the bonnet vents and refused to even sit in it. My wife drives the 335i quite often (she refused to drive the Z because it was too flash), and I don't think she would like the kind of attention a M3 would attract....the next closest thing I could find that she was happy to drive was a £35K+ Golf R, which is basically a very very expensive Golf GTI but with 4 wheel drive :lol:

As much as I hate the way most people buy BMW for the brand image, I have to say BMW do seem to know how to make good drivers cars....just a shame most owners simply don't appreciate how good they are as driving machines :surrender:

As much as I hate the way most people buy BMW for the brand image, I have to say BMW do seem to know how to make good drivers cars....just a shame most owners simply don't appreciate how good they are as driving machines :surrender:

We had the 200SX Owners Club staff meet this weekend, there were 25 of us there I think. One person came in a 200SX, a bit more than half turned up in or own BMW's.

Likewise with Driftworks, the Europe's leading drift company and one of the best teams in the world. These guys think nothing of rocking out in 700hp S15's, Skylines, Toyota Chasers, beautifully prepped AE86's and the like .......... and they all now drive BMW's.

Sad as it is to say, BMW's really are the best cars in the world. :)

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the thread resurrection, but I saw a 335 coupe today and remembered how much I liked the look of them when they first came out.

How does the Beemer handle compared with the Zed. Is it better or worse at going round corners than the Zed?

Cheers

Ed

How does the Beemer handle compared with the Zed. Is it better or worse at going round corners than the Zed?

Hard to answer in a straight forwards way. Stock without a LSD the 335 really struggles for traction, in 2nd gear unless the road is slickly smooth the traction control would kick in. On your average poorly surfaced B road its almost impossible to really enjoy the car because of the lack of traction. Hence I got a LSD fitted to mine almost as soon as I bought it, and now the car behaves the way it's suppose to.

In terms of pure grip I think the 2 are very similar. The 335s damping isn't as good as the Z's, but that might be down to the runflat tyres. Overall I'm very impressed by the 335, and cannot really fault it's handling.

But in terms of driving "fun", I find my self actually taking the 335i for longer drives than I did with the Z!! Only difference been the 335 can carry 4 adults and all their luggage :D Take one for a test drive you wouldn't be disappointed.

I loved my Z but have to say I love the 335i even more, despite there been a 320D around every street corner :lol: Theres also a ridiculous amount of tunning options for the 335 most of which is not that expensive, mainly thanks to the Americans who seem to love trying to push the N54 engine as much as possible (there's a video of one on YouTube out dragging a Lambo :wacko: ). Have to say its going to be very hard for me not to buy another BMW as my next car!!

Hard to answer in a straight forwards way. Stock without a LSD the 335 really struggles for traction, in 2nd gear unless the road is slickly smooth the traction control would kick in. On your average poorly surfaced B road its almost impossible to really enjoy the car because of the lack of traction. Hence I got a LSD fitted to mine almost as soon as I bought it, and now the car behaves the way it's suppose to.

In terms of pure grip I think the 2 are very similar. The 335s damping isn't as good as the Z's, but that might be down to the runflat tyres. Overall I'm very impressed by the 335, and cannot really fault it's handling.

But in terms of driving "fun", I find my self actually taking the 335i for longer drives than I did with the Z!! Only difference been the 335 can carry 4 adults and all their luggage :D Take one for a test drive you wouldn't be disappointed.

I loved my Z but have to say I love the 335i even more, despite there been a 320D around every street corner :lol: Theres also a ridiculous amount of tunning options for the 335 most of which is not that expensive, mainly thanks to the Americans who seem to love trying to push the N54 engine as much as possible (there's a video of one on YouTube out dragging a Lambo :wacko: ). Have to say its going to be very hard for me not to buy another BMW as my next car!!

Interesting. Coupe or convertible? Or the hard top which folds into the boot (what's the name for that)?

Dont own a 335 but have driven one hard on a fair few occasions, and personally thought it was a little soft for my taste, certainly more so than my Zed is/was. Lovely car, very fast in a straight line (when it got traction ;)) but less involving than a 350 for me in the coreners - the one I used to drive was bone stock though. :)

Dont own a 335 but have driven one hard on a fair few occasions, and personally thought it was a little soft for my taste, certainly more so than my Zed is/was. Lovely car, very fast in a straight line (when it got traction ;)) but less involving than a 350 for me in the coreners - the one I used to drive was bone stock though. :)

The 335 is probably less sharp when really pushed, but Birds BMW who have developed their own suspension package (EVO gave their 335 demonstrator 5 stars) actually uses softer spring than the stock M sport setup, instead they uprated the Antiroll bars and changed the dampers to dial out some the inherent understeer BMW built into the stock car..currently I'm saving up for their kit, but it comes in at £2.5k installed :headhurt:

Its hard to compare the two cars directly, one is a dedicated sports car the other a 4 door family saloon which is built on the same platform as a 316i. For anyone wanting to move on from the Z into something more practical the 335i is a fab choice, and i guaranteed you wouldn't regret buying one :D

Mine is going on a rolling road soon, just waiting for some aftermarket air intakes to turn up...will post the results when its done :)

Definitely keep us posted, its a car that Ive often considered buying for the missus ......... and then like yourself throwing a few G's at to make it REALLY fast and stealing it back from her :D

Good to hear Birds are still in busienss too, the Hartge BMW's are :cloud9:

Agreed, this has been a really interesting thread to read, please keep the updates coming :)

I love stuff like this, reading about real-life ownership of other cars. Can kind of make you almost feel like you own the same thing at times.