Fitting of Berk HFC

rhys1344

I have just got my Berk HFC... And need to fit them,

I took it to longlife and they quoted me £50 each side (£100) + any extra time needed to drill out broken studs in the flanges, repair flanges and if it doesnt fit right they said they might need to cut the berk hfc pipe and re-weld it... now, I just paid a lot of money for these things and don't like the idea of them cutting and re-welding them.. or am I just being too cautious?

Are they likely to not fit straight in.. and is it likely that bolts and studs will need drilling out? surely just getting the bolt head off / snapping them, then a whack with a hammer will push them out of the flange wont it?

The Berks shouldn't need cutting :scare: they are an exact swap for the normal cats, I would go somewhere else, also £100+ seems steep. There will almost certainly have to cut the bolts unless you are very lucky but even then that is steep :surrender:

+1, no need to cut the cats, £50 - £60 about right price.

Needless to say I ran a mile!!

Struggling to find a good price, cheapest I have fond is £72 (inc vat)

every one else has no idea what a 350Z is, and that if the bolts snap they will need drilling out.. is this right?

There must be someone near you that knows what they are doing. Garages change cats all the time, it's not a mammoth job by any means.

Put a post up asking for a decent garage near your area :thumbs:

Ha, yeah I have been calling around and even telling them that it's not exactly a hard job, I just cant do it due to lack of tools!! I don't see what is so daunting about it, 3 garages even said that they wouldnt take on the job!

Ha, yeah I have been calling around and even telling them that it's not exactly a hard job, I just cant do it due to lack of tools!! I don't see what is so daunting about it, 3 garages even said that they wouldnt take on the job!

They are probly just worried about fecking it up!

Like Chris said post up your rough area and I am positive someone will recommend a garage not too far :thumbs:

If a Stud breaks then yes it would need drilling out or removing However ......

AFAIK The top has 3 studs/bolts and the bottom has 2. Both the bottom "studs" are part of the old CAT so if they break you only need them repaired if you refit them, they are replaced with a nut and bolt when Berks go on.

2 of the top "studs" again are connected to the CAT so same applies. The third "stud" is part of the manifold end and is the one you really dont want a problem with, if it snaps then you would drill it out and replace with a nut and bolt.

I have done 4 sets of Berks and the next one I have to cut and weld will be the first! They are a good fit mate :thumbs:

Fitted my Berks myself and some of the original cat bolts are a swine to reach and undo. A friend of mine works at a national garage chain and was able to let me use their ramps for the job (cost me a slab of lager). One of the bolts was a pig and thankfully one of the mechanics raided his toolkit and helped me remove the offending bolt. This was underneath the car and perhaps it's better to attack some of the bolts from above? Anyway, £50 is a good price to swap the cats for berks :thumbs:

This was underneath the car and perhaps it's better to attack some of the bolts from above? Anyway, £50 is a good price to swap the cats for berks :thumbs:

Yes the top bolts are easily accessible from the engine bay with a few extensions on a 14mm socket after moving the centre intake pipe, a 10mm & an 8mm hose clip.

I think Glrnet has pictures from a set we did last week ;)

• 2 months later...

Old thread but meh, figured this would be the best place to post.

I have some used Decats which i was planning on fitting myself as soon as i can scrounge a monster/load of extensions. i have gaskets and spacers but i don't have any new bolts. i was going to use the original bolts but after reading this i think i should get some new ones.

Does anyone know the size of the bolts/set screws i would need?