Superchip for a Fabia 1.9 TDI?

chrisgunton

My 2001 Fabia is my daily drive for work (60miles a day). It's fairly quick being a 1.9 TDI but a little extra oomph would be nice, or improved MPG (already gets 55mpg).

I was offered a re-map by a local garage for £300 - which is supposed to result in 30bhp extra and a 12% increase in economy.

I have also been offered a "superchip" from a friend who used it on his Golf. Don't know a price yet though, or if it would even be compatible.

I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this. Does remapping and superchipping really make much of a difference?

A remap on a diesel can get you great power results.

I seem to recall that UpRev on a Juke diesel can get circa 50bhp more.

Falcon Performance do a power/eco tune. Give Steve a call there to chat through it. :thumbs:

There's a chip on my Audi A3, it's a 1.9 TDi, possibly the same engine, it's an ASZ PD engine. The chip was on it when I bought it, no idea what difference it makes over the standard output (apparently pushes it from 130bhp to 160bhp) but if I was to go for chipping or mapping I'd personally chose to have it mapped.

AMD Essex are just over the Dartford bridge, nearer £400 for a remap but they really know their stuff and they specialize in VAG cars :thumbs:

AMD have a very good rep from what I remember on the Cupra forums. More expensive than plug and play chips but I think they remap akin to UpRev on a Zed.

I have a tuning box on my 1.3cdti Corsa(10 plate), £75 on ebay. Best thing I have ever got, been running it for 6 months and what a difference.

I have to remind myself to take if out when it goes in for a service, takes 2minutes to unplug it.

If the connectors are the same then give it ago, but make sure the ignition if totally off. :thumbs:

My only issue is with spending a small fortune on a seriously uncool car (teal exterior with tan interior!).

Would a 2nd hand "chip" make a difference? Would his Golf one be compatible with the Fabia?

They are tailored to the engine so unless it was for a 1.9 TDI with exactly the spec of your Fabia you could do more damage than good :surrender:

I see what you mean about spending money on the car, maybe a £399 remap is ott, you could try a tuning box although I haven't seen them as cheap as £75.... but at least then when you part company with the car you have something saleable to get some pennies back :thumbs:

There you go :thumbs::thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-1 ... 35b329584a

My only issue is with spending a small fortune on a seriously uncool car (teal exterior with tan interior!).

Would a 2nd hand "chip" make a difference? Would his Golf one be compatible with the Fabia?

They are tailored to the engine so unless it was for a 1.9 TDI with exactly the spec of your Fabia you could do more damage than good :surrender:

I see what you mean about spending money on the car, maybe a £399 remap is ott, you could try a tuning box although I haven't seen them as cheap as £75.... but at least then when you part company with the car you have something saleable to get some pennies back :thumbs:

There you go :thumbs::thumbs:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Skoda-Fabia-1 ... 35b329584a

That looks like a good bet, I very much doubt it is as effective as a full remap but then for £80 you can't complain... :thumbs: