20 Inch Rims

ArsenalMoh

Hi Guys,

Was hoping for some advice on the issue that is tyre sizes.

I've read a lot of info through the search function, but if you just don't get it...you just don't get it.

Basically, I want to put 20 inch wheels on the Zed...but need to know exactly what I should be going for in terms of width and profile etc.

The 2 tools I'm using to try and figure this out are:

http://www.tiresizecalculator.info/

http://www.alloywheelworld.co.uk/page.php/tyrecalc

So what I need to know is any issues that would arise specifically with 20" wheels? I have read a lot about 19's but not 20's.

Also, if I was to go for some 20's, then what tyres would minimise the difference in 'rolling radius'?

I'm thinking of 255/35/20

In that tyre size....I'd have the following options :

VREDESTEIN's - £190

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s340p124 ... 97Y_XL_TL_

or

FALKEN's - £176

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m63b0s340p991 ... 97Y_XL_TL_

I'm obviously going for same width on the rears and fronts...what is the benefit or need to increase the width on the rears? Does it actually make much difference?

Thanks for all your help in advance

Original tyre size is 225 45 18 front and 245 45 18 back.

The traction control expects for the rear tyre to be larger and so can kick in when just travelling normally, as it thinks the rear wheel is going too fast. There have been people with the same size tyre and some have problems and others don't, but if I was buying fresh rubber I'd stagger them properly.

I think I'd be looking at 255 30 20 front and 285 30 20 rear but someone else which actually runs 20s should be along to advise. Personally I think 20s look too big when I've seen them but that's just my opinion.

Between the falken and the vreds I'd choose the vreds if there is only a £15 difference.

I should think that the 20's will ruin the ride and handling, which would be a shame. Nissan designed the car to use wider tyres at the rear to provide grip for the grunt of the V6 - presumably they used a narrower front to make it easier to turn the front wheels and prevent tramlining. The tcs would probably be confused by the new weird geometry too....

Cheers Gudzy,

Using the 2 tools I copied in to my OP, I think it minimises any impact if I go 285 / 30 / 20 at the rear with 255 / 35 / 20 at the front.

Having a different profile shouldn't be an issue I'm guessing?

Also...if they look too big, then they look good! That's the way I see it anyway.

I was just concerned that 20" might not fit without something needing to be done to whell arches or something.

I run 20" wheels on mine at the moment. Previously, I was running the non ray alloys, and calculated that if I used certain tyres, there would be literally hardly any difference in rolling radius, so went with it.

Have no problems at all, currently have 225/35/20 on the front and 255/35/20 on the back.

20s7rmc.jpg

Am considering swapping them for something different though, so if your interested in 20s let me know....

Ric...love them and I think 20's look brilliant on it.

I would want black and silver rims though, so am looking at something like this....

http://www.alloywheelworld.co.uk/produc ... k-polished

I haven't decided on what I want yet, so will keep searching.

What tyres did you go for and how much did they set you back if you don't mind me asking?

Also, the only other thing I don't get, is that tyre width comes in like 225mm/235mm/245mm etc....but when you're getting alloys, the width is just 7.5"/8/9 etc.

So how are you meant to know what tyres will fit what rims based on widths?

standard size is 225width on an 8" rim, and then 245 width on an 8.5" Rim, 255 would fit a 9", or a 9.5 with a bit of stretch

I think a 275 or a 285 would need at least a 10"

where was that site that had a whole load of pics of zeds, along with their rim tyre and offset values?

My Jag run's 20" BBS split rims, before you think about tyres you need to know your wheel widths

mine are 9" front and 10" rear, so i run 285 30 20 on the rear and 255 35 20 on the front. but you won't know if thats right with you as the zeds rolling radius is possibly different from the jag.

and as for if they look too big then they are right isn't always the best rule of thumb. i saw 20" on an MR2 and it looked like a rollerskate.

think you might be alright on the zed though

Man...this is so confusing!

Firstly, what the hell is an offset!? (In very very simple terms please!)

There's so many things to think about here!

The reason I mentioned 285 / 30 / 20 at the rear with 255 / 35 / 20 at the front is because it minimises the impact on the speedo and minimises the difference in diameter.

But it seems like to get them tyres, I'm going to need 10" wide rims...so am I better off selecting the alloys that I want and then trying to put tyres on after that to minimise any difference in diameter and incorrect speedo?

How important is it that diameter is kept the same?

Offset is how far out of or how far into the arch the wheel will sit.

http://cornerbalance.wordpress.com/2008 ... xecution/#

On this car (the pics have been pimped many times) it runs 8.5 x 20 and a 10 x 20 rim with offset of 25. The tyres are 245/30 and 285/30.

The wheels could do with coming out a fraction but no arch work is required the way it is.

Best thing to do is choose the wheel you want, find the best size and tyre combo and make them work. The Zed was designed with a staggered fitment so best keep that in mind.

OK, I'm finally starting to make some sense of this.

I'm going to work with these combinations of tyres if I get 20" rims:

Front - 225/35/20

Rear - 245/35/20

These tyres will both fit 20" rims with a width of between 8" - 9"

Front - 235/35/20

Rear - 255/35/20

These tyres will both fit 20" rims with a width of between 8.5" - 9.5"

Front - 245/30/20

Rear - 275/30/20

These tyres will both fit 20" rims with a width of between 9" - 9.5"

Unless I'm still not getting it, this all makes sense to me as realistic options that will fit the tyre, keep the staggered set up and minimise any speedo and diameter impact!

This....proved very useful!

http://www.alloywheels.com/Tyre_Calculator

pick your wheels first, no point worry about tyres yet until you know what they're going on. I'd be more worried about getting the right offset, you don't want to have to stack wheels out on spacers to fill the arches and you don't want them sticking out miles madmax style.

if i remember rightly you want wheels with offsets in the low 20's for offset.

they also need to be able to clear your calipers.

once you have picked your wheels just use a tyre calculator to work out the right tyre to fit with the rolling radius.

i kind of feel your making more of an issue of picking tyres when its actually fairly straight forward and your not focusing on the slightly harder job of actually getting a wheel to fit.

also with 20's the wheel is going to be a lot heavier i would actually say you don't want to buy cheap wheels as they are going to weigh a ton and that you actually want to buy decent wheels to keep the weight down.

i think the ones stew has are axis pentas and they are lovely wheels. B2 autodesign does axis wheels as well as others, and they'll know what fits the zed.

pick your wheels first, no point worry about tyres yet until you know what they're going on. I'd be more worried about getting the right offset, you don't want to have to stack wheels out on spacers to fill the arches and you don't want them sticking out miles madmax style.

if i remember rightly you want wheels with offsets in the low 20's for offset.

they also need to be able to clear your calipers.

once you have picked your wheels just use a tyre calculator to work out the right tyre to fit with the rolling radius.

i kind of feel your making more of an issue of picking tyres when its actually fairly straight forward and your not focusing on the slightly harder job of actually getting a wheel to fit.

also with 20's the wheel is going to be a lot heavier i would actually say you don't want to buy cheap wheels as they are going to weigh a ton and that you actually want to buy decent wheels to keep the weight down.

i think the ones stew has are axis pentas and they are lovely wheels. B2 autodesign does axis wheels as well as others, and they'll know what fits the zed.

They aren't Axis Pentas although a very similar style. Mine are MUCH lighter and much rarer!. Still heavy compared to Rays though! :lol::lol::lol:

They aren't Axis Pentas although a very similar style. Mine are MUCH lighter and much rarer!. Still heavy compared to Rays though! :lol::lol::lol:

am intrigued, always loved your wheels, what are they?

also might be worth mentioning the ride on 20" will be a lot harder, stew will be able to tell you from experience what his ride is like.

mine is not uncomfortable, but my suspension and ride comfort is softer than the zed as standard. the zed is a firm ride on stock springs.