How to make your zed feel 4 times as quick!

rabbitstew

Yes it was exactly as you described but it hasn't happened since. It's obviously mechanical as the jerky action when it finally closed on that occasion seemed to indicate that something was sticking as it freed up suddenly with a jerk and hasn't happened again. I do believe that having happened once though it's only a matter of time. Don't believe it's the elastic bits as their function happens much earlier in the hood retraction. Just realsied that I've hijacked the OP's thread. Appreciate your posting separately if you find the issue. Cheers!

"Only downer was that my roof struggled to go down properly. It got to the very last stage when the folded roof goes into the storage compartment, just before the plastic lid comes down and it just wouldnt go in. It was as if it was stuck. A few open/close open/close`s and it jolted down okay. Its as if something was sticking on it. I`ll have to try and investigate a bit more when I get some spare time"

Would you please post if you are able to find the reason for the "sticking" in the hood retraction action when you have the time. Mine did this once and not since but would be very interested to hear your findings and corrective action.

Cheers and happy top down days ahead!

Will do. Its as if the mechanism is getting caught on something. You can see the motor has enough torque and is trying to pull the roof down, but its not having it. Its had to see when you look, so i`ll have to enlist an assistant to operate the mechanism whilst i look at the roof. Will see if i can do that this weekend.

Strange how yours only did it once, then now is okay though!

Hey !! wow !! this is exactly what my roof does too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its worse in the cold, can take 15 times to shut! i think its the main motor thats letting it down- loses power? needs a refurb!? this is what i have been told.... i have learnt to live with it and when i put the roof down i just pray it goes down, usually takes 3 /4 times to be honest, which yes is highly embarrasing if my friends are present! or anyone realy watching and laughing :blush::doh::doh:

but exactly how you described it - thats what mine does - she was spot on in the summer months! i think perhaps the cold doesnt help?!

"Only downer was that my roof struggled to go down properly. It got to the very last stage when the folded roof goes into the storage compartment, just before the plastic lid comes down and it just wouldnt go in. It was as if it was stuck. A few open/close open/close`s and it jolted down okay. Its as if something was sticking on it. I`ll have to try and investigate a bit more when I get some spare time"

Would you please post if you are able to find the reason for the "sticking" in the hood retraction action when you have the time. Mine did this once and not since but would be very interested to hear your findings and corrective action.

Cheers and happy top down days ahead!

Will do. Its as if the mechanism is getting caught on something. You can see the motor has enough torque and is trying to pull the roof down, but its not having it. Its had to see when you look, so i`ll have to enlist an assistant to operate the mechanism whilst i look at the roof. Will see if i can do that this weekend.

Strange how yours only did it once, then now is okay though!

its a fairly common roadster roof issue perhaps? as the only 4 people i have spoken to really with them have had this ! but sadly no one has got to the bottom of it. I have had a few garages have a look, noen knew what was wrong, and once the roof has worked its impossible to then tell what could be getting jammed! Some nice helpful z owners at the kent meet last month had a look for me, and saw my roof doing this... they said it could be one of the motors... seems to need that final push to get the roof down. I have also had some friends give my roof a gentle push and it goes down in that final stage.... kinda clicks into where its meant to :blush::doh: its something i would love to fix, im waiting to see how she is when its warmer outside as in the warmer weather i never had any issues

Mine is always garaged, drag it out weekends for a tinker and a blast but shut away most of the time. Glad the weather is getting better so as I can use her for the commute a couple of days a week.......BBC Weather website, where would I be without it.

Gives the Honda a rest, the old workhorse has to deal with everything. :teeth:

• 2 weeks later...

Well being as it was a nice weekend I thought id have a look at the roof and see why it was a bit sticky last time I used it. Sods law, I couldnt get it to go wrong at all this weekend. Up & down perfectly fine and smooth. It was noticeably warmer though, so I can only assume it was the cold weather.

Whilst it was nice I also cleaned the hood using some AutoGlym convertible roof cleaner & retreated / sealed it with the AutoGlym stuff which comes in the same kit. Have to say it was a nice easy process and the hood now looks brand spanking new!!!

Just read the first page of this and noticed a lot of you take the car off the road then tax and mot it when you're read to use it again.

I did the same recently for a short spell. But did you know if you SORN a car and the MOT runs out while its off the road, you are not allowed to drive the car to the MOT station. The car is not for driving on public road if SORN until it is re taxed regardless of where you are taking it. Luckily I had a week left on mine so could re tax it on-line then go MOT it.

I never knew this until I spoke in quite some detail about it with my MOT inspector. If it needs an MOT and is SORN you need to trailer it to the test centre.

Just read the first page of this and noticed a lot of you take the car off the road then tax and mot it when you're read to use it again.

I did the same recently for a short spell. But did you know if you SORN a car and the MOT runs out while its off the road, you are not allowed to drive the car to the MOT station. The car is not for driving on public road if SORN until it is re taxed regardless of where you are taking it. Luckily I had a week left on mine so could re tax it on-line then go MOT it.

I never knew this until I spoke in quite some detail about it with my MOT inspector. If it needs an MOT and is SORN you need to trailer it to the test centre.

Is that really correct? Ive always understood that you were allowed to drive a vehicle to the MOT test centre for a prebooked appointment if you had no road tax. Ive been doing it for years with my motorbikes.

Is that really correct? Ive always understood that you were allowed to drive a vehicle to the MOT test centre for a prebooked appointment if you had no road tax. Ive been doing it for years with my motorbikes.

Looks like I was correct:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/Ow ... /DG_069671

"You can drive your vehicle to and from a pre-arranged test at an MOT test station as long as you have adequate insurance cover."

There was, at some time, some ambiguity about whether a car declared SORN constituted as untaxed or not. I can't for the life of me find it now, but there used to be something on direct.gov (I think) which stated something along the lines of SORN being a form of free tax for off-road non-usage (or something as equally nonsensical...) which meant the car had to be re-taxed for on-road actual-usage before you could drive it on the road.

I think this has since been addressed by someone with an ounce of sense who just happened to be passing through VOSA one day and is no longer the case though.

There is a possibility that I imagined all or some of these events of course and I reserve the right to be wrong.