Replacement Subwoofer

stonehenge

Just thought I'd post a modification to show an option to improve the sound of the Bose system on the 370Z and liberate some valuable boot space at the same time. Since there's no spare or space saver in the UK, the boot space below the carpet is filled with polystyrene and a rather feeble plastic Bose subwoofer that in other markets sits within the spare wheel. There's virtually no sound proofing of the body shell in the boot space which doesn't help with the tyre roar from the OEM Bridgestones. I've removed all the polystyrene spacer material (it just lays on the boot floor) and the Bose subwoofer. I've had the entire space sound proofed, and then a 200W RMS JL Audio amplifier and 10" JL Audio subwoofer fitted in a custom MDF & resin lined enclosure. There is a space to hold the compressor and associated bits for optimistic roadside puncture repair opportunities out of sight. The whole thing is carpeted in black and a metal grill protects the speaker cone. The original plastic boot floor and carpets then lay over the whole thing to give a completely standard look when the extra space isn't required. The work was carried out by Absolute Audio in Amesbury, Wiltshire. It's very high quality work with no modifications to the car - everything can easily be returned to standard if required. Highly recommended if you are looking for some decent bass lines. Nice side benefits are reduced road noise from the rear and extra space for those longer road trips.

Neat looking job there, and as you say it can easily be returned to 'standard' if necessary. :thumbs:

I went the opposite route in wanting a spare wheel and not being worried about the Bose quality (it is hardly ever used).

As the car is built to carry spacesavers in other countries where it is mandatory simple job of fitting a 350 spacesaver in the location with the subwoofer inside the wheel. Only issue is need for spacers on the front so the 350 spacesaver fits over the larger calipers, but as I run with spacers anyway...... Jack and brace courtesy of ZMANALEX.

I have kept the compressor in the car as I find it is quite good for topping the tyres up and more reliable than local garages where the pumps are often not working :doh:

spacesaver.jpg

That looks a top quality job. Where do you put the tools now and how much did it cost?

oh and welcome to the forum!

Thanks! :)

The tools (such as they are) fit in a space between the sub enclosure and the recess up to the back lights, so they are completely out of sight. The compressor is held in place with velcro and the other bits and pieces slot in next to it. There's space for an aerosol tyre repair can too or something about that size. I'll send you a PM with the costs (not cheap).

Neat looking job there, and as you say it can easily be returned to 'standard' if necessary. :thumbs:

I went the opposite route in wanting a spare wheel and not being worried about the Bose quality (it is hardly ever used).

As the car is built to carry spacesavers in other countries where it is mandatory simple job of fitting a 350 spacesaver in the location with the subwoofer inside the wheel. Only issue is need for spacers on the front so the 350 spacesaver fits over the larger calipers, but as I run with spacers anyway...... Jack and brace courtesy of ZMANALEX.

I have kept the compressor in the car as I find it is quite good for topping the tyres up and more reliable than local garages where the pumps are often not working :doh:

spacesaver.jpg

Good thinking, especially with having spacers already. I must admit I thought it could do with spacers. Maybe a job for the summer.....

How did you run the amp mate?

+1 - got me thinking now

The JL amplifier accepts inputs from speaker cables as well as direct phono connections. We decided to take the feed wires into the Bose to keep as close to standard as possible. Many people fit a correction unit to correct the EQ on Bose units as they (Bose) process the sound quite heavily. For my purposes this has worked fine.