Help Choosing New Car (with snow ability)

Rubber

Good news - we are closing in the purchase of a new house :)

Bad news - it's in a rural location so the Zed has to go :( (Car will all be up for sale in a couple of months :dry: )

The new car will have to perform the following functions:

1) Be able to carve through 2 to 3 feet of snow (therefore needs some clearance)

2) Cost less than £7,500

3) Economy <30 mpg combined and good running costs

4) Be able to lug some stuff around like bags of cement and a couple of dogs!

It doesn't need to be pretty or go through sticky fields. I just need the 4x4 capability for the snow.

I'm thinking the watered down 4x4's will tick all the boxes here. As much as I have probably criticised these cars when I see people driving around the city I think they make sense now :blush:

I'm thinking Nissan X-Trail or Toyota RAV4 D-4D but also the Freelander.

The Subaru Outback is also an option I suppose.

What do you think - am I missing something or will these cars cover what I need?

Cheers,

Chris

My Mum is on her second newer shape CRV. Faultless in the snow, even the real deep stuff. Both me and my Dad drove it last year when my freelander wasn't working (big hint here....) and his winter shogun was unavailable. Brilliant thing all year round with loads of space etc. Early ones must be about that money.

My dad said it was ace in the snow and he's owned Legacys, Range Rovers, Shoguns and an RX and used them all in the winter.

Go out to Dunecht 4X4 for a look. See what you like.

Good call on the CR-V Stew. I think I must have relegated them on the basis that they are petrol but a quick check shows the difference in fuel cost between a diesel X-Trail (40 mpg) and a petrol CR-V (31.5 mpg) is only £200 per year more for the CR-V. However, it is a Honda so I assume it won't break? Good looking too in my eyes B)

I've worked my way through Suzuki, Mazda, Toyota and Nissan so just Honda to go. I always thought my next car would be a Civic FD2 though, not a CR-V :surrender:

The CRV is actually ace.

My Mum had the first new style customer car in the UK. Dad said this year he'd buy her an ML. She looked and decided she'd be aswell with a 2011 top spec CRV! :lol::lol:

It's based on an accord so has plenty room.

I have a Navara, pre 2007 should easily get over 30 mpg. My post 07 gets less, waaaay less. :blush:

Just looked at Autotrader and plenty of CR-Vs around. This looks good:http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202441573203/sort/pricedesc/usedcars/transmission/manual/price-to/8000/maximum-mileage/up_to_80000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_7_years_old/model/cr-v/make/honda/page/1/radius/200/postcode/ab116fn?logcode=p

Slightly above budget but then I will be selling in the Summer - when sports car prices are at thier max and 4x4 should be at their minimum :teeth: I suppose any time from May onwards makes sense?

Warrior and Navara are cool but too big I think. I don't think my wife would thank me for one of those as she has only been driving a few months and she will have to drive it from time to time!

Chris

Warrior and Navara are cool but too big I think. I don't think my wife would thank me for one of those as she has only been driving a few months and she will have to drive it from time to time!

Navaras are HUGE. I mean properly huge. 2ft longer than a range rover (and multi storey car parking spaces) so she certainly wouldn't thank you!

My Missus drives mine, I once found a Toyota Aygo in the tyre treads though. :lol::lol::lol:

Later style CRV is far superior - http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p

Ya, it looks a lot better and the interior is nicer. That's the diesel as well which I was going to ask about - seems to have great mpg and a reasonable turn of speed (for an old diesel anyway!)

Very high mileage on that car though. I know the diesel engines can take a lot more miles but would a 130,000 mile plus car feel very 'loose'? Would all the bushes etc. be knackered? I suppose it depends on what the car was used for but unless you buy from someone you know this can be hard to determine...

Don;t know if you noticed but if you scroll to the last picture of that car there is a Zed at that garage too ;)

How good are HRVs in snow? They're a bit more lightweight but will be cheaper on fuel and maintainance and still look good

HRV would be good too I reckon and must be dirt cheap to run :D May be a bit small though - need to have a look at one in the flesh me thinks. Not a very common sight on the roads around Aberdeen.

Ya, it looks a lot better and the interior is nicer. That's the diesel as well which I was going to ask about - seems to have great mpg and a reasonable turn of speed (for an old diesel anyway!)

Very high mileage on that car though. I know the diesel engines can take a lot more miles but would a 130,000 mile plus car feel very 'loose'? Would all the bushes etc. be knackered? I suppose it depends on what the car was used for but unless you buy from someone you know this can be hard to determine...

Don;t know if you noticed but if you scroll to the last picture of that car there is a Zed at that garage too ;)

I just picked a random cheap one as an example! :) Didn't even look at it really.

How good are HRVs in snow? They're a bit more lightweight but will be cheaper on fuel and maintainance and still look good

HRV would be good too I reckon and must be dirt cheap to run :D May be a bit small though - need to have a look at one in the flesh me thinks. Not a very common sight on the roads around Aberdeen.

Thats cos it not an audi :lol:;)

So true! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

+1 on the new shape CRV - I have one

didn't put a foot wrong in the snow and we average 36mpg (oil burner) and thats town stop/start driving as well - not exactly a quick car (not meant to be I suppose)

Interestingly I counted 6 this morning on the way to and from the supermarket! Just goes to show that if you're not interested in a type of car then you may not notice it! I had previously landed all 'stupid' 4x4s into the same bracket but it's interesteding now that I look closer.

:lol: Not sure the 5.7L engine could make my 30+ mpg!!! From the stats it looks worse than the Zed! Interior looks quite plush though...

Chris

I bought new an Isuzu Rodeo twin cab (four doors) in 2004. It can tow 3.5tonne. The pickup area which has a Carryboy cover has a loading of half a ton. Eight years later, 120K on the clock, I have yet to change a bulb, original clutch. It has been used for towing horse boxes, driven in the Alps and other mountain areas with deep snow and just trundles along. 2 wheel drive, press a button 4 wheel drive, press a button low ratio 4WD. The Isuzu has air cond, very comfortable and also very economic in terms of fuel. Engine is a 3 litre turbo charged and without hauling tons does about 40MPG in old money. Downside is the spare tyre (full size) that is held under the rear of the chassis - not good. I moved it to the pickup area. Thoroughly recommend it. Service interval is yearly or 12000. :thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

Mike