tt 3.2 dsg versus 350z

zebedee8

Hi

i am currently thinking about changing my tt for 350z,has anyone changed from tt to z.

how does the zed differ from tt regards to performance handling build quality etc,

i like the fact z has bose,brembo, because tt standard headunit and breaks are poor.

any comments good or bad greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

zeb.

Hi

i am currently thinking about changing my tt for 350z,has anyone changed from tt to z.

how does the zed differ from tt regards to performance handling build quality etc,

i like the fact z has bose,brembo, because tt standard headunit and breaks are poor.

any comments good or bad greatly appreciated.

many thanks.

zeb.

We've got the new shape TT with the 3.2 lump in it (pretty rare as they stopped making them fairly quickly) and a zed, so this is coming from experience of driving both a lot over time.

In terms of things like the interior, panels, aircon, steering wheel and all that jazz, TT wins hands down. Absolutely fab quality, all the knobs work very well and feel solid, aircon is fast and very comfortable, road noise is low in comparison. Note: the sound system in the Audi is tonnes better than the Bose in the zed (although I am pretty sure it is also made by Bose).

In most other aspects, I very much prefer the zed. The ride, speed, power and all that stuff puts a smile on your face that doesn't exist when you're driving a TT. At the same time it's rear-wheel drive and has the looks in comparison to what is predominantly front-wheel drive (the 4-wheel drive system hardly ever kicks in in reality) and looks like a TT.

If you want a powerful car that is fun and exciting, the zed is for you. If you want something to go to the shops in, keeps its value, blahdiblah blah blah, keep the TT. Despite the power and engine being somewhat similar, the feel is completely different. The TT's engine is set in perpendicularly within the bay to predominantly drive the front wheels and the layout is almost a straight-six (very narrow angle) which feels very different to drive than a genuine V6 motor.

I've driven a TTRS on track and although it's a great car I prefer the 350Z for it's handling characteristics. I'd guess that the TTRS is the best handling TT that Audi have marketed so far and it's great fun but was too neutral in the corners for my taste. I'd guess lesser TT's would display similar or worse (ie understeer) characteristics.

The Audi will be a nicer environment to sit in but the Zed will put a smile on your face if you're a keen driver ;)

A big lump in the front of a FWD car isn't usually a nice recipe.......

I've driven a TTRS on track and although it's a great car I prefer the 350Z for it's handling characteristics. I'd guess that the TTRS is the best handling TT that Audi have marketed so far and it's great fun but was too neutral in the corners for my taste.

The Audi will be a nicer environment to sit in but the Zed will put a smile on your face if you're a keen driver ;)

cheers leroy :thumbs:

I've driven a TTRS on track and although it's a great car I prefer the 350Z for it's handling characteristics. I'd guess that the TTRS is the best handling TT that Audi have marketed so far and it's great fun but was too neutral in the corners for my taste. I'd guess lesser TT's would display similar or worse (ie understeer) characteristics.

3.2 TT's are 4wd no?

3.2 TT's are 4wd no?

They are an Audi version of 4wd which means it is front-wheel drive 95% of the time with 4wd coming on for sharp acceleration or cornering. I've also had a TTS for 2 weeks at one point and in all honesty other than the flappy paddles it felt no different to the 3.2 version - if anything was less tourquey.

I'd love a 3.2 DSG TT, they make such a wonderful noise :cloud9: Nissan could really learn from Audi on that front.

I'd love to drive a TTRS at some point, as with a few tweaks they're monstrously capable cars, but I don't think I'd ever own one. At £30K second hand though, they're the veritable bargain.

To answer the OP's question, I think I'd stick with the TT.

You know I love you all really sweetheart :cloud9::lol:

What I meant was that it's not really that much of a change in real terms of what you get from a car, and the Audi is a nicer place to be on the inside and arguably is a better screwed together car. Performance is going to be nigh-on the same due to the DSG negating the extra power from the Zed, and you've got the +2 on the rear seats as well. It's a sideways move rather than an up or down one, and unless you're really desperate it's not a move I'd make. I would go the other way though, bizarrely.

You know I love you all really sweetheart :cloud9::lol:

What I meant was that it's not really that much of a change in real terms of what you get from a car, and the Audi is a nicer place to be on the inside and arguably is a better screwed together car. Performance is going to be nigh-on the same due to the DSG negating the extra power from the Zed, and you've got the +2 on the rear seats as well. It's a sideways move rather than an up or down one, and unless you're really desperate it's not a move I'd make. I would go the other way though, bizarrely.

1. The +2 is a very very very dubious +2, especially on Mk1 models. Our supposedly roomier new shape one will not fit any adult in the back comfortably (i.e. journey has to be < 10 miles).

2. Numbers might say one thing, but in reality, the performance is miles apart. I have owned both for a long time and can vouch for that. The 350z wins hands down in everything on this front including the smile factor.

3. Audi's interior, road noise and all that jazz is far far better than the zed. It is also far more practical with a comparatively decent boot and all the small things (e.g. accessible glove box).

All in all it depends on what the OP wants out of their car really.

Agreed on the +2 thing, much the same as the 911. I use mine strictly as extra storage space, I guess the same would be said of the TT. At least you have that option though, no chance in the Zed!

Interesting on the performance being so far apart, I'd have expected them to be fairly close when pushing on on a B-road blast. In my experience comparing twin-clutch cars to single-clutch, the ability to swap cogs so quickly makes up a lot in terms of pushing away any power disadvantage. I guess that must very much depend on the cars being tested, though.

Dunno, not sure if I'd spend serious cash on a move if there wasn't a huge change. Moving from an Elise to a Zed I get, or going from a Zed to an Impreza, but going from one front-engine coupe to another? Not sure, really not.

That said, if I was in the mood for a change and wanted something fun with equivalent or cheaper running costs, I'd definitely be looking at the Zed :thumbs:

It was tongue in cheek Ekona, 'sideways' being the operative word ;)

Bugger, missed that one! :doh::lol:

I guess it depends on what you mean by fun. On a track I'd be happy to spend all day sideways in a Zed, but on the road I'd rather drive the DSG TT and relax in comfier surroundings. I don't think either are bad cars, but if it's one with more personality he's after then a 350 wins hands-down.