Focus ST > 350z

y3Lo

Personally my 2 penneth focus v zed no comparison but it all depends on what you want. The zed to me looks and sounds awesome is reliable and v comfortable. Its a lardy beast and tbh is significantly under powered. (i know there are things that can be done but it really isnt a racer. As others have said its a tourer and a damn good one at that. It might not make you grin as hard as many other performance cars (particularly jap ones) but it does hold a lot of pluses. Me I miss my evo and sprint scoob but I dont miss the lack of refinement, reliability and the lack of class and soul.

So if you are after fast road driving with some track stuff and you want the car to make you grin from ear to ear from the sheer drivability/quickness of the car buy a jap turbo car i.e subaru,evo,liner. If you want a 2 seater roadster with comfort,looks,reliability and an engine noise to die for then get a zed. By the way if your comparing anything to a focus st then any of these with the addition of a decent bimmer.

Id take a s2000,rex,zed, bmw z4 and prob a dc5 for a test drive and see which one you like.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL! despite the differing opinions on this thread, i am finding it very useful for info/opinions on some of the more mundane FWD cars, as i am selling my Skyline 350GT (four seat 350Z :p ) in order to economise, and will be buying a said mundane FWD petrol or preferably diesel, as a replacement, and as i have only ever owned mad powered or unusual jap RWD cars for the last 15 odd years,

I have literally had no experience of modern normal every day FWD cars, other than the wifes old Seat, so finding a suitable replacement is going to be hard, it had been said to me, to get a Focus ST among others, which is what drew me to start reading this thread.

I have no idea where to start, obviously i will need to get some test drives in, but experience's and opinions on what might be considered a reasonably sporty feeling diesel or petrol, as i have noticed that some of the new engines are pretty frugal compared with the VQ.

I have been looking at cars like, Volvo C30 R design, Honda Civic CTDI, Alfa Brera, 159, and obviously BMW 330 and 320D for obvious reasons, and the Focus, any other experience's/opinions welcome, but i don't want to start another stone throwing session ;)

"Good" handling family sized FWD cars for me include the Mondeo's, older Focuses, 159's and Breras for sure (and you can just stare at them when they are parked), I havent driven a C30 or a Civic so cant really comment. Focus and Mondeo ST's (particularly diesel ones) are pretty difficult to beat as an all round package TBH, quick, good to drive, comfortable and reliable :)

"Good" handling family sized FWD cars for me include the Mondeo's, older Focuses, 159's and Breras for sure (and you can just stare at them when they are parked), I havent driven a C30 or a Civic so cant really comment. Focus and Mondeo ST's (particularly diesel ones) are pretty difficult to beat as an all round package TBH, quick, good to drive, comfortable and reliable :)

Does that comment mean that the Alfa's are unreliable then?

Does that comment mean that the Alfa's are unreliable then?

My business partner had a 159 for 3 years from new, the only problem it had was one of the light clusters stopped working but that was an easy fix, other than that it was very good. Quite juicy on the 1.9TD, the 2.4TD is the one to go for though as its fairly quick and sounds like a V6 too, although Ive heard good things about the 1750 engine too :)