Unrealistic Expectations?

Paddy78

Firstly, hello all.

I am looking at buying a 350Z in the very near future. I went to a dealers today to look at a black facelift (56) GT which was advertised for just under £10k. I had high hopes that this was going to be the one!

It wasn't and I was so disappointed by the condition that I walked away before even driving it (Or even looking inside). Rays were scuffed and starting to bubble, few scratches and lots of stone chips on the bonnet, including one on the corner edge which had started to rust.

My question is; am I expecting too much from a car of this age? What would you consider reasonable wear for a 6 to 8 year old car?

Cheers,

Paddy

Hey mate, no I felt the same but at the moment dealers are just trying to see what they can get away with. I went to see about 10 Zeds and travelled well over 1000 miles altogether to find the right one.

I went to look at an 04 with 46k on the clock for 9k and it was scuffed to hell both inside and out.

I ended up getting an 07 with 46.5k on the clock for 10k in just about mint condition bar some minor curbing on the rays.

Plenty of nice examples out there in amongst the rubbish.

Firstly, hello all.

I am looking at buying a 350Z in the very near future. I went to a dealers today to look at a black facelift (56) GT which was advertised for just under £10k. I had high hopes that this was going to be the one!

It wasn't and I was so disappointed by the condition that I walked away before even driving it (Or even looking inside). Rays were scuffed and starting to bubble, few scratches and lots of stone chips on the bonnet, including one on the corner edge which had started to rust.

My question is; am I expecting too much from a car of this age? What would you consider reasonable wear for a 6 to 8 year old car?

Cheers,

Paddy

As above, there are many nice examples out there. There will be some cars on here that are of that age that are in almost perfect condition. The front ends are quite prone to chipping, so depending on mileage, expect to possibly see some form of road rash or a few chips to the front. Rusting damage anywhere would not be acceptable though.

There may well be some bubbling of the alloys, it can be fairly common unfortunately, but by no means should it be extensive across all four corners.

I think there are enough 350Z's around for you to be choosy... so be patient.

Personally I wouldn't let a small amount of bubbling on the alloys or a few stone chips up front put me off an otherwise good car - you could always have them refurbished relatively cheaply??

But if the car was generally not presented well and your gut said no I think you have done the right thing by walking away.

Keep looking and best of luck.

Thanks for all the comments and advice. I will definitely keep any eye on the Z's for sale on the forums (part of the reason for joining).

I will keep looking for the right one and will hopefully post back with a success soon. :thumbs:

Paddy