Has anyone been to Sinagapore F1 night race?

ashyk36

Its a great event,with great people. I went in 2009,and really enjoyed the spectacle. Though it is very hot there. Though to be honest,iv not been to a race yet that hasnt had a great atmosphere. Singapore is good though. Was lucky to stay in the Swiss Hotel Stanford,with a view and balcony overlooking half the track. The noise of the safety and medical was just insane,and at the time they were running the Aston Vantage cup thing,though they wernt a patch on the AMG's.

Thinking about going to the F1 Singapore night race later on this year.

Just wondering has anyone been?

Was it worth while event going too?

Where did you book?

How much do I expect to pay?

Thank you in advance

Yes, went a couple of years ago with a group of mates.

it was a great event to go to if you're a f1 fan! so close to the track, great atmosphere etc. However its VERY warm!

flew with singapore airlines on an a380 (economy), normally fly first, but I had NO complaints what so ever about singapore airlines economy, loads of space and great food.

my accomodation was sorted out by someone I know that lives in Singapore and I wouldn't reccomend it to anyone to be honest! You will pay a premium for hotels and accomodation when the nightrace is on, so if you're just wanting to go to Singapore and not fussed about the F1, I would reccomend going at a different time.

One thing that will amaze you,is the sheer rumbling of the ground as they go past. It never ceases to amaze me,i love it. One thing you see at Singapore that you miss at most races,is the flames out the exhausts. Hopefully this year with them so high on the body work,they will be more noticeable. I know what you mean though,i would love to hear the scream of the old v12 and V10 F1 cars,so when we go turbo in 2 years,it will sound totally different,though im sure no less intoxicating. And im sure there will be lots of flames etc with them! :yahoo:

You mean the engines Beavis?

Estelle works for an international aerospace company that makes alot of bulkheads,interior structures ands seats for Airbus.

Working in NDT,i work with people that have worked in Aerospace etc,and will never forget being told that low cost airlines like Ryan Air,Easy Jet etc,are cheap for a reason.....

Im not saying they are unsafe,only that the inspection procedure maybe isnt as intense as a company like BA etc.

Estelle works for an international aerospace company that makes alot of bulkheads,interior structures ands seats for Airbus.

Working in NDT,i work with people that have worked in Aerospace etc,and will never forget being told that low cost airlines like Ryan Air,Easy Jet etc,are cheap for a reason.....

Im not saying they are unsafe,only that the inspection procedure maybe isnt as intense as a company like BA etc.

Engines and all A380's are been checked after cracks have been found already in some of the wings! Not mega serious they say but i find it surprising that they have found cracks in such a young aircraft already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16649334

Engines and all A380's are been checked after cracks have been found already in some of the wings! Not mega serious they say but i find it surprising that they have found cracks in such a young aircraft already.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-16649334

Typical, the only part made in Britain starts to fall off after a few weeks :doh:

DB

To be honest,you will find most aircraft will have defects in their primary and secondary structures. Its probably because its such a high profile aircraft that people are making more of a meal of it. I would feel safer flying on an A380,than i did on the 747 i flew to Thailand on! That thing didnt even have screens in the head rests,only projector screens on the bulkheads,thats how old it was!

Yep, we are going - as a rather nice stopover on our way to see family in Oz.

And by a Singapore A380 - providing Beavis does does not put the mockers on it :headhurt::lol:

Hotel booked -Marina Mandarin (one we have used several times before) overlooking the track.

Just sorting out track tickets/passes :ninja::teeth:

Once in a lifetime thing with the cost - but hey, you only live once :D

As Daryl says, its a special place and you can get very close to the track and can't wait to hear/see the exhaust action :yahoo:

To be honest,you will find most aircraft will have defects in their primary and secondary structures. Its probably because its such a high profile aircraft that people are making more of a meal of it. I would feel safer flying on an A380,than i did on the 747 i flew to Thailand on! That thing didnt even have screens in the head rests,only projector screens on the bulkheads,thats how old it was!

New 747-800 Intercontinental FTW though, a million times better looking than the 380

5443057497_294ab868d9_o.jpg

5443057641_5b50508c06_o.jpg

Attended the race back in 2009, thoroughly enjoyed myself and considered it a much better all round experience than Silverstone, which is the only other GP I've been to albeit on several occasions. Had a grand stand seat just above the tunnel which worked out $150/£75 at the time.

Unfortunately can't offer much assistance on accomodation and travel as I was already out in Singapore on secondment at the time, although would echoe the comments above regarding Singapore Airlines, always great service, although I do not miss the 19 hour flight from Singapore to Newark which had to do several times whilst out there.

The official site is here:

http://www.singaporegp.sg/index.php

But I also found a blog about the 2010 race which gives some good detail about best viewing etc -worth a read ;)

I attended my first Singapore GP in 2010 and am poised to return for the 2011 race. I did an extensive write up on Trip Advisor in the form a List of tips on how to get the most from the event (rather than a simple review) http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail ... _Prix.html

and I reproduce it here where it hopefully be of use to a greater number of fans…

1. Introduction

http://www.singaporegp.sg/

The First Singapore Formula 1 Grand Prix was held in 2008 at the Marina Bay Street Circuit. It was the first and only Grand Prix to be held entirely at night under a flood lid track. Singapore is due to hold the race till the 2012 event. There is no announcement yet if Singapore will hold a Grand Prix after this date. At the moment the Singapore Tourism Board /Government foots 60% of the bill to hold the event. In addition to worldwide TV exposure Singapore receives around 40000 overseas visitors for the event. As the event is held in the evenings over 3 days, it is entirely practical to use the mornings and afternoons for sightseeing and shopping or any other regular visitor activity and watch the racing in the evenings.

The 2011 Singapore Grand Prix is due to be held on September 23.24 and 25th.

(This List was last updated 28th Nov 2010)

2. Accommodation

Singapore Accommodation

To recover some of the costs to hold the event the Government imposes a ‘F1 Levy’ on hotel rooms during the 4 days of the event (Thurs-Sunday). Currently hotels designated as ‘Trackside’ are charged 30% of their room revenue as a levy. All other Tourist hotels are charged 20%. Hence, the prices of accommodation during this period reflect this extra charge the hotels have to bear as well as price rise due to demand. When should you book your rooms? Early!- especially for the Trackside hotels that are occupied by the race teams and officials, and hospitality guests. A lot of hotels block out the Grand Prix dates to early reservation and only release these rooms once other hotels release their rooms and prices. Other offer for a cheaper price initially and then raise the rates as rooms get taken up.

In 2010 and early reservation at the start of the year would have cost you S$400 per night to stay at the 5* Trackside Pan Pacific hotel (used by Ferrari and Lotus), this gradually raised to nearly S$1000 per night closer to the event. The Ibis in Bencoolen (walking distance to the track) was less than S$200 per night if booked early. In Orchard Road (3 stops or about 6min on the MRT)the 5* Royal Plaza on Scotts and the Mandarin Orchard Hotel consistently had the best rates. For those on a budget the Hotel 81 and Fragrance Chains offer good value. Though some of these are in seedier/more colourful (but very safe) parts of town, F1 fans seem to be the majority of the customers during this period. In the last 3 years prices have dropped in the 2 weeks before the event as Hotel try to fill their remaining rooms. For last minute deals please check the Online Hotel room consolidators like Agoda, Asia Best Hotel, Wotif and Asia Travel. Click on the link (labled Singapore,Singapore) below the title to brings up a TripAdvisor thread on F1 Accomadation.

Currently (Oct2010) you can book rooms for 2011 at the very popular 4*Traders Hotel on Orchard Road for only S$225+tax per night (this is pretty much the regular off peak rate). ***** Nov 2010**** The 5* Mandarin Orchard is available for S$199+ Tax for the whole Race Weekend.

3. Tickets

Tickets prices are normally made known in late January and normally go on sale in early March for the race in September. They can be bought online from the Official Singapore F1 website, the Singapore Ticketing agent SISTIC or from a range of authorised ticket agents worldwide (in your local currency), which will be listed on the Singapore F1 website.

As per other Grand Prix events around the world, there is a significant discount (nearly 20%) for purchasing your tickets early during the ‘Early Bird’ period. Tickets are either for a seat in the Grandstands (with a view of Big screens so you can follow the race) or for ‘Walkabout’ / General Access tickets – will allow you access to the Circuit park but no access to any Grandstands (unlike European GPs where there is free seating on the Friday). All Grandstand tickets are sold as 3 day tickets only. Initially all Walkabout tickets are also for 3days only but with a month or 2 to the race the organisers normally release individual day tickets for those who can only attend a single day. A small number of tickets are reserved to be sold on the day at ticket booths located next to the entry gates. You receive a different ticket for each day and the tickets are transferable so different people can attend on different days. This also make it easier to swap your Friday or Sunday tickets with like minded fans so you see the action from different Grandstands and vantage points (I got to see the action from Esplande and Stamford Grandstands as well as my ticketed seat in Turn2). Tickets permit entry and re-entry as many times as you like throughout the day (the circuit normally opens at 3pm and closes at 1am).

One of the advantages of the Marina Bay Circuit is it is right in the centre of the city, walking distance to numerous MRT stations, Shopping malls, food and beverage establishment and hotels. This makes popping and in an out of the circuit after the support races and in-between sessions a practicality. There is a lot of off track entertainment and concerts put on throughout the day when there is no action on track however.

If buying online direct from the Official Singapore F1 website you get to choose the Block within the grandstand as well as the grandstand itself. Front rows are very popular (you cant choose rows, first come first served, the ticketing system at previous events have released the lower rows first) You get very close to the cars, there’s no one tall infront of you and there is a hand rail in front of you to place a camera atop – there is however slightly less leg room. You can choose to have the Tickets mailed to you internationally (they seem to get sent out in July) or collected from a Post office in Singapore (from August) or the Ticket collection centre next to the Track when you arrive in Singapore (this is the option I choose travelling from the UK – for 2010 it was located at the convention centre of the SwissOtel the Stamford Hotel)

4. What ticket to buy?

Grandstands – Grandstands seats generally give the best views, you get a seat and even the lowest seats are well above ground level giving you bigger field of view. Grandstand seats are also in front of big screens (with commentary that you can actually hear) so you can follow the race. The price of the Grandstands generally reflect the view you get. Bay Grandstand has the worst physical seats, cramped and less comfortable than those found in the temporary stands. However for only $80 or more than Walkabout tickets, they are very good value. The lower rows of the Esplanade Waterfront Grand stand allow you to get very close to the cars at a slow part of the circuit. In faster parts of the track it generally better to sit further away to allow you to follow the cars. The Sun normally sets just before 7pm. It becomes bearable (for me ) to sit out in the sun from around 6pm. The Stamford, Connaught and Esplanade Grandstands gets the most shade as they face East and the setting sun is behind you. The Stamford Grandstand also has a hospitality block build above the grandstand that block out the direct sun much earlier in the day.

The only covered seats are part of Hospitality packages (comes with meals, free bar, indoor air-conditioned area etc), the cheapest being the Green Room package. Pit Grandstand Tickets, together with Turn 1 and Turn 2 are the top price tickets and give a view of the cars lining up for the start of the race as well a view of the pits from seats. Turn 1 Bloack A4-6 seats give close quarter views of the Turn 1, 2 and 3 – and are amongst the best seats in the house.

Walkabout ? These ticket give you free access to all parts of the circuit park included within the Zones on your ticket but no access to the Grandstands. There are bleachers set up at strategic points where you can see the race. Whilst there are public big screens where you can also watch the race. There arent normally any in front of the bleachers (you can hire a Kangaroo TV handheld unit to follow the race though). Public commentary can be heard throughout the circuit. Some of the Walkabout viewing platforms and areas get you closer to the cars than any of the grandstands and afford excellent views. The bleachers next to Turn 1/2 are particularly good, as well as viewing areas next to Turn 11/12

5. Free Views?

Though the organisers do a good job of screening off fences and overpasses, as this is a street Circuit there some public areas that overlook the track where you can catch some live action for gratis. If you bring a small stool with you can get a reasonable view over the barrier from numerous points (though as your often close to the track along a straight, the cars are gone in a flash. Naturally the trackside hotels, especially those with balconies provide a view if you’re a guest there. The best free view I found is from the outdoor balcony area of the Foodloft food court at the Marina Square Mall, which overlooks. Turn 16 and 17. Personally I think this view is better than what you would get from most of the Bay Grandstand. So get there early, get some cheap tasty food and get a table on the balcony.

6. Zones

The Circuit is dived into Zones. For 2010 The Pit, Turn 1,2 and 3 Grandstands are located in Zone 1. All other grandstand are located in Zone 4 (except Bay Grandstand which is located in Zone 3). Ticket holders to Zone one (and premier Walkabout Ticket holders) can access all zones and use any of the 10 entry points around the circuit. Ticket holders to Zone 4 (and regular Walkabout ticket holders) can access Zone 4 only. Bay grandstand is the only thing in Zone 3 and Bay Grandstand ticket holders can access Zone 4 as well. In 2010, The Singapore Flyer was located in Zone 2 and was only accessible to ticket holder with Zone 1 access who were able to get unlimited free rides throughout the day and night.

7. Entertainment

The entertainment schedule is usually known by June or July. For 2010 the headlining acts were confirmed rather late.The 2 main entertainment stages are the one in the Padang (the big open field with the circuit located in Zone 4 and the Village stage located in Zone 1. There is secondary entertainment held in the floating platform and in the Paddock lifestyle area accessible only to those of the Formula 1 Paddock Club. Entertainment of one sort or another is virtually continuous from 4pm when there is no activity on the track. Maria Carey performed after the end of the race on Sunday at the Padang Stage. There is no additional charge for any of the entertainment laid out within the circuit.

8. Food and Beverage

There are numerous F&B stall set up in the Padang and a significant amount in Zone1. Zone 1 has a more premium feel to its F&B establishments with more exclusive units. Zone 4 houses the Hawker village with the cheapest food. Expect to pay roughly twice what it would cost in a food Court. $4 for 500ml bottle of soft drink, $10 for a big plastic mug of beer (no glass allowed in the Circuit), $7 for a bowl of Laksa & $10 for 6 sticks of satay in plastic cup. Between the Esplanade water front Grandstand and the Esplanade Theatres is the food gem of the circuit park – The Glutons Bay Hawker centre. This is a regular popular hawker centre that finds itself ring fenced within the circuit for the 3 day race weekend. Food here is better and cheaper than anywhere else on the circuit – you pay regular everyday prices in general. Of course there are many malls containing food courts and fast food outlets as well as other restaurants literally with 2min in any direction around the circuit park. There are numerous entry/exit gates to allow you to get to food and drink just as quick as it would be to walk to the Food stalls within the circuit park. These malls also provide welcome free air-conditioning and respite in between track activity.

9. After parties and other Off circuit Entertainment

There numerous post race parties that regular ticket holder can access with the purchase of the appropriate ticket including the official Amber Lounge event often frequented by the drivers themselves. Lots of clubs, bars and restaurants in Clark Quay offer promotions and discounts for ticket holders.

10. Transport

Raffles Place, City Hall, Esplanade, Promenade and Nicoll Highway MRT station are close to various gates around the circuit. This must be the eaiest GP to get to from your Hotel on the Calender (no need to camp out at the circuit) Last train times are extended till after 1am across the network for the race weekend for those not staying within walking distance. Most of the Orchard road hotels are with 30min walk once you have left the circuit, if you rather not take the train. Leaving the circuit is very easy even with the crowds, by heading towards the nearest gate and MRT station. Leaving your Grandstand seat to arriving at an Orchard Road Hotel by MRT should take around 30min or so. The track is opened up to the public after the race on Sunday so you can take the scenic route back, rather than the designated walking route. Taxis are also readily available, however there is location surcharge of $5 for the 3 race days. Singapore is a small Island and the MRT trains are quick so even if you are staying at the furthest hotel from the circuit (Crown Plaza at Changi Aiport) you are no more than 35-40min by public transport from one of the entry gates to the Circuit

11. Photography

I am not a photographer and don’t have any gear more advanced than a Compact Super zoom camera. I did take plenty of pictures but these were to remind me of the event rather than have great close up pictures of the cars. It’s dark and the cars move pretty fast. You will need a wide aperture and fast shutter speed. Try and shoot cars at a slower corner to allow longer shutter speeds. Some of the walkabout viewing platforms are great for this. The fencing is a hindrance with auto focus cameras choosing to focus on the fencing rather than the cars further away- manual focus if you camera has that option. Tripod/monopods are not allowed to be used in the Grandstands. If you are in the first row of the Grandstand there is a hand rail in front of you which is a nice sturdy place to rest a camera while zooming and shooting through the fence without any camera shake. On the Friday when the Grandstands are not as busy you will be able to find unoccupied seats so you shoot from different vantage points. In most parts of the circuit you need to be above row 13 or 14 to be able to see completely over the safety fence. The safety fence does not affect viewing the race much but affects photography.

12. Circuit Changes

There is some talk that there will be some significant changes made to the circuit for 2011 to reduce the number of turns and speed up the race. This may mean some grandstands disappearing and some new ones appearing. There is talk of removing the now infamous ‘bus stop’ stadium section (Bay Grandstand) and altering T7 to go around the War memorial (removing 2 corners from the circuit and enhancing overtaking possibilities).

Thinking about going to the F1 Singapore night race later on this year.

Just wondering has anyone been?

Was it worth while event going too?

Where did you book?

How much do I expect to pay?

Thank you in advance

My wife got me some tickets for my 30'th, so don't know how much the tickets cost, apparently the same price as Silverstone GP tickets (she bought me those too for a previous birthday :p )

I've been to Singapore once before, the city is clean and safe. Theres plenty of shopping to be done, and Maylasia is just over the border (the last I went I drove from Kula Lumpar to Singapore). The atmosphere for the night race looks just amazing really cannot wait :yahoo:

I've booked some accommodation already, £70 a night small 3* hotel from Thursday to Monday. Flights into Singapore for that week seems be a £200 more expensive that normal, so I'm planning to stop by some where a week before, either HongKong or Kula Lumpar.

The cost in total isn't going to be cheap, I reckon £2.5-3K in total for me and the wife (Flights, Tickets, Accommodation, Food, Spending money). Probably add another £500-800 to that if stopping over somewhere on the way.