£3000

taffyjason

I have up to £3000 to spend on toys for my Zed,

So far i was thinking adding a japspeed Y pipe, race manifolds plus Berk HFC's, then eventually an Revup re-map.

Also got a clutch change due, plus thinking a new double DIN head unit.

That lot with fitting should be best part of 12-1300 squids ( minus the re-map )

what else should i go for?

Oh yeah the clicky axle fix too, although my garage says refilling the CV joint with grease should do the job, for now at least.

Another concern is the probable duff diff, which im told is way cheaper to replace than fix, for which ive gotten a quote of £300 for a low mileage replacement.

Phew, adds up when you type it up...any suggestions for other things would be most welcome

12-1300 including clutch & double din?

Manifolds are atleast an 8 hour job a a garage that knows the Z ;) I paid £400 just to get mine fitted so I can't see all that coming into your budget if it does include the clutch & headunit :surrender:

well im being conservative, hence the 3k limit, but clutch plus labour ive been told is 480, with me supplying the £260 clutch kit from G-reddy (spelling?), the headunit i'll fit myself, but i got the JVC KW-AVX640 for £200, just trying to find which extra's i need for steering wheel controls,

Berks i can get for £350 with import tax and 2 hours fitting, obviously more if i get the manifolds, but i'll get the bits each at a time then plump for one fitting session

so far talking to my garage he can do that way within budget, hence asking for other ideas :)

It doesn't even work if you exclude the clutch and head unit.

The berks are ~£350 and the japspeed will be what £150 at a good price?

That leaves you £700 for manifolds. None of the top level headers I've heard of are anything like that cheap, and as Ian said it's an engine-out job so labour is huge. I'd also be shocked if you made more than 5bhp from headers with stock cams.

Edit: realised i didn't actually give any advice there at all. I spent about 3 grand on my Zed after i bought it and got Berks+Milltek, plenum spacer, upRev remap, DBA front disks Ferrodo pads and braided lines all round. So obviously that would be my vote for a 3 grand Zed spend :thumbs:

DB

It doesn't even work if you exclude the clutch and head unit.

The berks are ~£350 and the japspeed will be what £150 at a good price?

That leaves you £700 for manifolds. None of the top level headers I've heard of are anything like that cheap, and as Ian said it's an engine-out job so labour is huge. I'd also be shocked if you made more than 5bhp from headers with stock cams.

DB

Its not an engine out job either ;) Its just a lot easier if you do it that way.

Can be done with the engine is situ, just a bit fiddly/tight.

Has your garage ever worked on a 350Z? He may say that he can do it within budgets but that will soon change once he sees whats involved in fitting headers :lol:

IMO they are worth the outlay if you can get a good set of headers at a good price & a guaranteed fitting cost. My car gained 12hp on an untuned engine after fitting headers. I only did it though because I got some DC headers stupidly cheap :teeth:

well the garage also competes in motorsport, they are also the Norfolk area Ferrari servicers, so he's good with his hands-on, ive been under the car with him (no jokes there) and he says he's happy to tackle the headers, but he suggested not to bother unless i was going for the Berks too, i dont mind going over the 3k budget, its just an aim

My aim, with optimism and plenty of pocket money, is to get it to M3 power range, i dont like M3's giving me crap on the few dual-carriage ways we have here!! you wouldn't believe the crap i get from Porsche drivers too!

So....long term plan, to at least **** off early 2000 911's off, but also bloody M3 drivers!!

im sure some of you can identify with this!

well the garage also competes in motorsport, they are also the Norfolk area Ferrari servicers, so he's good with his hands-on, ive been under the car with him (no jokes there) and he says he's happy to tackle the headers, but he suggested not to bother unless i was going for the Berks too, i dont mind going over the 3k budget, its just an aim

My aim, with optimism and plenty of pocket money, is to get it to M3 power range, i dont like M3's giving me crap on the few dual-carriage ways we have here!! you wouldn't believe the crap i get from Porsche drivers too!

So....long term plan, to at least **** off early 2000 911's off, but also bloody M3 drivers!!

im sure some of you can identify with this!

Hats off to you mate if that's your aim. I've done a LOT of research on the N/A options for the VQ35 because it's probably the route i'm going with mine in the future. basically from my research if you build and balance the bottom end and port the plenum and cylinder heads to bump the rev limit up to about 7500, then go with fairly agressive cams, headers, a 3.9 FD and a very good tune then you MIGHT be able to keep up with an M3. and by that point you could have bought a vortech twice over.

DB

If your changing clutch you'll new a new flywheel also.

Budget 1k for clutch.

I'm not going to get into the , I want my car faster than an m3 911 etc. people need to go to a track and actually see what the differences really are and I think you may be surprised. Stop reading paper stats on cars etc.

A clutch, flywheel, hfc's, headers, plenum spacer will kill that 3k budget including labour. I don't even want to add up the bills for my car for this sort of carryon which if I could go back now I would have saved up an extra few k and just supercharged it.

yes i totally agree with you, NA gains are way more expensive then FI,

I am looking at supercharging to mild levels, but when i look at that, it then means clutch upgrades, which makes me think, shall i get a stage 2 clutch now while i upgrade and suffer some drive-ability!

M3's only use a 3.4, i have a 3.5 why isnt it better? lol....bloody french engines :D if only it had a VTEC type arrangement, that would stuff those M3's

But for now, im aiming for 320 on the flywheel as a starter, plus replacing the bloody awful head unit, the skipping is ruining my driving fun!

You might want to change the oil pump to rev to 7,500 as well :)

I got Stillen ceramic headers for around the £650 mark, Lot of debate on how much good they do! - I think 370 headers are a good option but you need the 370 Berks to go with them.

(this may not be true I never followed up on it)

They are a PITA with the engine out! I'd hate to do them on!!

If you want to beat M3's and 911 keep saving and stick a vortech on there - but it's not just the power its the supporting mods that kill the budget - you don't want to go that fast on stock brakes and suspension (well I don't).

add a 0 to your budget and you should be in the 911 range :lol: I hope to be :thumbs:

Remember alot of the criteria about a car competing against another car is down to the driver :thumbs:

320 is optimistic. I have rev up 300ps and spent alot and only made 305.5 at the fly.

Thats why I need a bigger better Zed - I'd be in a mini if I could actually drive :lol:

lol, its frustrating isnt it?

If i add a '0' to the budget, might as well get a 911,

I really like the 350z, ive seen more M3's, 911's, Cayman's than ive seen 350z's, maybe that's why they try to take us on or **** us off,

Ive had a 3 series coupe before, i loved the handling, but didnt feel special, the 350z looks special but handles a little too heavy for my liking, the gear change is a bug bear, but im willing to persist and see if i can improve without silly money, i still like the looks i get in the car (not at me of course, just the car) as it has that rarely seen appeal...

So i'd like to do the car justice and get it to beat its realistic NA rivals,

So plan is to make sure stock items are sorted, oils, belts, brakes etc which ive done, now is the more pricey parts, intake, exhaust, remap...i dont want to fold and go FI...we shall see, this is on a realistic income, so hope i can shed some light

I currently have a japspeed k2 exhaust to mid-pipe and everything else stock, rolling road gives me 259Bhp at the wheel

just an update, someone PM'd me suggesting i shouldnt sound like im 'right about everything', im not sure where this came from, but if that's how i come across i apologise, im very grateful for any advice given to me, that's why im here, to learn from fellow 350-ers

Another one thats cost over £30k, but will beat M3s, 911s and DB9s B)

DSC_3653.jpg

DSC_3415.jpg

If theres one piece of advice I can offer to anyone who wants to go FI at some point, it is not to waste money on NA mods. Save the cash, go straight for FI - Its cheaper :lol:

yes i totally agree with you, NA gains are way more expensive then FI,

I am looking at supercharging to mild levels, but when i look at that, it then means clutch upgrades, which makes me think, shall i get a stage 2 clutch now while i upgrade and suffer some drive-ability!

M3's only use a 3.4, i have a 3.5 why isnt it better? lol....bloody french engines :D if only it had a VTEC type arrangement, that would stuff those M3's

But for now, im aiming for 320 on the flywheel as a starter, plus replacing the bloody awful head unit, the skipping is ruining my driving fun!

M3's are 3.2. 3k IMO wont get you anywhere near as fast as an M3. They are faster, I dont mean to sound like Im saying your idea is stupid but Ive spent the money. Im happy with what Ive got and its all been done on the cheap :lol: but Im happy with it as thats what I wanted. If I wanted to beat m3's and 911's then 1, Id be unhappy as id still be slower, 2 I would be just as much out of pocket.

I love the Z for the way it drives not its speed. :thumbs:

Also Ian is it faster than an m5 or e55amg? Do you see what Im getting at there is always someone faster than you. :lol:

thanks guys, all advice appreciated,

My present course is to get the basics sorted, then looking at FI, i think Supercharger as i'd like instant power, my best friend has a Supra with 20k of mods and is running at 550bhp, .....im not trying to match him, but just to be able to have loads of in-gear power, i do like the power and sound i have now, but it somtimes takes a few cog drops to match a bloody TDi ...which have surprising in gear whoomph,

the more i research the more i agree with you, 4k or so without fitting for vortech seems the way,

but i still wanna replace that crappy stock head unit! ..... just getting into my fave overtaking point, Slipknot egging me on, then it skips and gives me 70mph of nothing and slows me down, booooo

thanks guys, all advice appreciated,

My present course is to get the basics sorted, then looking at FI, i think Supercharger as i'd like instant power, my best friend has a Supra with 20k of mods and is running at 550bhp, .....im not trying to match him, but just to be able to have loads of in-gear power, i do like the power and sound i have now, but it somtimes takes a few cog drops to match a bloody TDi ...which have surprising in gear whoomph,

The only basics you need to sort are big bollocks and big brakes. :thumbs:

If you are prepared to drive on the limit, you'll be able to keep up with most of the M3s, 911s, Caymans. You might even catch up with £40k GT2s and overtake a 370Z..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_f222otgpbw&list=UU4DDF1Q6InWXkVKscz1ij7w&index=2&feature=plcp

Have a look at below to see what you're going to get for your money. My car has had £2k spent on it to get 30 extra horses. Keyser's car at the time was nearer £10k spent on it to get 350hp ish (Chris, correct me if I'm wrong)

Pick what you prefer.............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm01EKqxanc&feature=related

the more i research the more i agree with you, 4k or so without fitting for vortech seems the way,

but i still wanna replace that crappy stock head unit! ..... just getting into my fave overtaking point, Slipknot egging me on, then it skips and gives me 70mph of nothing and slows me down, booooo

Sounds like a safe HU - you only want to go over 70 on the track ;)

Never have music on when on track - you want to hear and feel the car not dance :lol:

Another one thats cost over £30k, but will beat M3s, 911s and DB9s B)

DSC_3653.jpg

DSC_3415.jpg

If theres one piece of advice I can offer to anyone who wants to go FI at some point, it is not to waste money on NA mods. Save the cash, go straight for FI - Its cheaper :lol:

very tasty !