Floaty feeling on the steering? whats normal?

MDMetal

Hey guys another issue! (think im cursed!) My steering has been feeling light recently and its bugging me. I had some new tyres today Falken 452's on, bridgestone potenze 50a's off (worn down + puncture) went for a drive tonight (yes new tyres and slightly wet roads) but I couldnt feel a bit of difference at all, the car felt a little more planted but the steering still felt light and floaty.

Bit more detail, its most apparant at lower speeds, high speed feels a bit tighter, going into most corners pushing the wheel feels quite effortless like theres no resistance, on a flat surface with slight undulations the floatyness comes and goes, holding the wheel straight you can sometimes feel the weight shift on and off, if you start weaving there feels like a 5 degree dead zone before you get any real resistance, the car still responds within this deadzone but feels light, it doesnt feel like i have to turn it 5 degrees before it does anything. Parrel park it alot and that feels fine but on some 90 degree turns it feels like Im turning the wheel more than im used it.

So question is whats up? Is its a)cant spot an difference on new tyres in the wet and I should wait for a nice day before I say I cant feel the difference b)Theres some steering issue and its masking the feedback id be getting otherwise c)im over thinking everything and looking for problems!

Ive read up on similar posts and lots of people saying wheel alignment, how quickly does it fall out of alignment? I couldnt say one day it felt fine and the next it doesnt but it feels subtly different over the past 2 months would this indicate some sort of bush/linkage issue rather than something like a pothole knocking a wheel out?

Its a bit of a mystery!

You've changed from decent tyres with a stiff sidewall to cheaper tyres with a floppy sidewall, this will make a huge difference to feeling. Try pumping the pressures up 2-3 psi, see if that helps, but don't expect the crisp handling you had on the Bridgestones. :thumbs:

I think thats normal with the Falkens for the first few hundred miles :thumbs: Mine were exactly the same.

Its the release agent and they have to bed in a bit, from my experience. My normal drive to work felt very odd just after they were fitted.

Give it some miles and report back :thumbs: