Rear parking sensors?

douglasr

• 2 weeks later...

Car was in the garage today to have the sensors looked at. They said they had been disconnected because as soon as they reconnected them, there was a constant beep when reverse was selected. They tried the reset instructions, but that didn't make any difference. They reckon that the paint on the sensor has confused the sensors and I need a replacement set.

Now, looking at the 'Z' brochure, if, for that sake of argument, the sensor is 2p sized, the inner 1p sized centre section appears to be a clear or white mesh - on my car, this is gunmetal like the outer part of the sensor. Does this sound right. I wonder if the owner has just applied some paint to the sensor to match it, or, the bumper has been scratched and repainted. I'll be calling the salesman in the morning to ask him to give the previous owner a call.

Car was in the garage today to have the sensors looked at. They said they had been disconnected because as soon as they reconnected them, there was a constant beep when reverse was selected. They tried the reset instructions, but that didn't make any difference. They reckon that the paint on the sensor has confused the sensors and I need a replacement set.

Now, looking at the 'Z' brochure, if, for that sake of argument, the sensor is 2p sized, the inner 1p sized centre section appears to be a clear or white mesh - on my car, this is gunmetal like the outer part of the sensor. Does this sound right. I wonder if the owner has just applied some paint to the sensor to match it, or, the bumper has been scratched and repainted. I'll be calling the salesman in the morning to ask him to give the previous owner a call.

my sensors are painted and work lovley........... :thumbs:

i think you are only supposed to apply a very (VERY) thin layer of paint, and perhaps even the type of paint used might be important...

Maybe previous customer fitted himself ( or even dealer did it... and then decided to colour match them himself with a can of halfords spray paint can...

The ones on mine are fully painted too - blue on the inner and outer.

Never heard of them being mesh on the inside before, perhaps they are aftermarket jobs, or there is a faulty sensor.

Id make sure that the dealer replaced them with propper jobs, and not anything like those god awful black lugs you see on some cars that have had them fitted aftermarket.

Phoned the dealer and asked them to make sure they were painted. I dont want them left as black. He warned me that this "may" be the reason they dont work very well, but I mentioned that there are other owners that have painted sensors that work fine.

Thanks for the replies.

I took my vectra to main dealer today for it's service while i was there i was looking at some rear sensors which are hidden behind the number plate,not sure how these work but would look a lot neater,price on the box £170.

max.

I became a world level expert on nissan supplied parking sensors last year :D

There seem to be two different types fitted by nissan dealers (although I did come across a third type it was only on one car in my meet-wide survey).

The type that has an inner disc, a circular recess, and then an outer ring are what I've got. The important thing with these is the circular recess should not be painted. It clearly says this with the instrcutions supplied with the kit to the dealer, but sometimes a monkey runs off with these and the spray man coats everything in sight! (The kit actually contains some masking rings to go in the recesses when the painting is being done but the monkey eats these)

The painted finished produce doesn't look quite as neat due to the black recess, but its fine from a distance and it works!