Network Lan Laser Printer - question for the techs

ioneabee

I have a Konica Minolta bizhub 352P with lan connections only - the IP address is set to 192.168.1.35

it is connected via ethernet cable to a windows xp pc - this is set to 192.168.1.25

they communicate fine

now.......

I want to network this PC and the printer to my other computers (all of which run win 7) and conected wirelessly to a router (as does the win xp PC)

if i leave the ip address as above these other PC's can't see it - if I change it back to obtain IP automatically - all pc's can see the xp machine, but then the printer is not seen by anything !!

any suggestions ?

You will probably need to enable Network Discovery on the Windows 7 PCs. Its under Advanced Sharing Options in the Network and Sharing Center :)

I would just add the printer via its fixed IP address on the Windows 7 PCs. Go to Devices & Printers, Add Printer, choose Local Printer, when it asks for a port, choose TCP/IP Port, type the IP Address, it will then communicate with the printer and may even have a driver ready, if not just download one from Konica's website :)

You will probably need to enable Network Discovery on the Windows 7 PCs. Its under Advanced Sharing Options in the Network and Sharing Center :)

I would just add the printer via its fixed IP address on the Windows 7 PCs. Go to Devices & Printers, Add Printer, choose Local Printer, when it asks for a port, choose TCP/IP Port, type the IP Address, it will then communicate with the printer and may even have a driver ready, if not just download one from Konica's website :)

the one thing I didn't consider doing was adding it as a local printer - i mean why would you :wacko: - however that did it, after pretty much spending most of yesterday trying to get it seen - should have come to a car forum 1st !!! :#1:

hi Jim

yep - it was a cross over cable - ta

I assume your router is giving out the ip addresses.

Try setting the printer to obtain an ip address automatically (dhcp). When it gets an address, you should have a function on the router to reserve that address (so the printer always has the same address).

You can then do the same for all windows PC's. They should all then have an address in the same range i.e. 192.168.1.X

You can then add the printer as above by making it a local printer and creating a tcp/ip port to print to.

For windows 7 tcp/ip port setup:

Click the windows icon (Start), Device and Printers > Add A Printer > Add A Local Printer > Create A New Port > Standard TCP/IP Port

Click Next. Type in the IP Address. GIve the port a name, Click Next. That should be all done. :)

I have a Konica Minolta bizhub 352P with lan connections only - the IP address is set to 192.168.1.35

it is connected via ethernet cable to a windows xp pc - this is set to 192.168.1.25

they communicate fine

now.......

I want to network this PC and the printer to my other computers (all of which run win 7) and conected wirelessly to a router (as does the win xp PC)

if i leave the ip address as above these other PC's can't see it - if I change it back to obtain IP automatically - all pc's can see the xp machine, but then the printer is not seen by anything !!

any suggestions ?

If I'm reading this right you have a PC connected by wireless to the network and it has a crossover cable to the printer?

I would either add the printer as a local device (as above to the XP PC) and "share" it when you can "see" the XP PC you should see the printer - you will need the Win 7 drivers ready when you double click it.

or

Plug the printer into the router (if possible) and add it as a local device to each PC (as above)

If you only see the XP machine when it is in "obtain IP automatically" check your primary DNS server when you manually set it - what do you use? it should probably be the router IP.

I would guess 192.168.1.1?

When set to obtain automatically and its working open a command prompt and type -

ipconfig /all

your looking for the wireless adapter DNS settings.

Also check the printer default gateway - it should be the router if you want all the PC's to see it but 2 networks on one PC can cause some "interesting" things especially with firewalls :)

Good Luck