Supercar Experience Info!

djrm

If you want a real experience do a Palmersport day. Waaaay more expensive, but they actively encourage you to thrash it.

I was really pi**ed off with my experience at Thruxton not because they wouldnt let me thrash it, but because the only car I wanted to hear open up they wouldnt let me. The Cayman was first and the young lad I had as instructor was encouraging me to overtake Fezzas and Porkers as we were going quicker and was impressed with my heel/toe. Instructor for the Aston V8 was some old fart who didnt want me to go over 3k revs. Didnt listen to him obviously as the Aston only sings above 4k :teeth: Single seater at the end the chap told me to cain it again :lol:

I just wouldnt listen to when they say to change gear and you'll have fun, just expect them to bark in your ear all the way around. Pointing out you drive a 300HP RWD car will also help instill a bit of confidence in them ;)

I understand that there not going to let your just do what you want but they should let you get a feel for the car and for the money you pay for these experiences I think they should let you open them up to see what they can do.

Sorry but I would never waste my money doing another "super car" experiance again when you can do the likes of a rally or drift day where they let you get the full potential of the car and encourage you to push .

This opinion has been made due to doing a few "super car " experiences and every one has been the same.

This is because your expectations are not realistic.

A rally/drift company can let you thrash their cars as they are probably worth about £5k each.

Before people moan about not being allowed to drive a Lambo/Ferrari exactly how they want, they should think about if they had shelled out £200k of their own cash, would they allow people to jump in a thrash it? No.

I paid £90k for my Gallardo no one ever drove it apart from me, not even my wife. If I'd invested that money in a car and it was not only a car but also a business investment and was my livelihood, would I let inexperienced people into the car and cane it around a track? No.

People need to realise that these 'experience days' are not ever going to be a true reflection of the car or the ownership experience. Its about getting in a car that most people will never even see on a road let alone own one. If you want to drive it like you stole it, you can hire any car you like for about £600 a day as long as you leave a £5k deposit. Then see how brave you are when it's only your £5k on the line........

What Sarnie said :thumbs:

Sadly nobody is really going to let you get to grips with these cars on a day like this at the kind of cost involved, a shame but totally understandable.

I had a Gallardo for a long weekend (Fri - Mon) and the hire cost was £1750, I also put down a £5k security deposit. These kinds of costs give you a truer reflection of the 'responsiblity' of driving / owning a high performance of super car. Although admittedly not to the same extent as Sarnie would have had as real owner.

I realise I'm very fortunate to be in a position to be able to 'hire' something like a Gallardo for a weekend. The real beauty of being able to hire a car like that for a number of days is the greater freedom you're given. That meant being able to scoot around on the kind of roads one drives on all the time, a and b roads, dual carraigeways, motor ways etc. It was a fantastic experience, something I really enjoyed.

However it also makes you appreciate the 'quirks' of owning a car like that. Pulling in to a petrol station to refuel to find (too late) that there was a slight rise in the concrete apron, only highlighted by the ensuing scraping noise. Passenger agreed to get out and check these kind of 'suspected' bumps / kerbs etc in future, but this little error ended up costing £2k+ to respray the front bumper / lip . Then there's the width, or apparent width' of the car, which can be nerve wracking in tight town and city traffic, or country lanes with oncoming lorrys / trucks.

Also there is attraction of the vehicle itself to other motorists. Boy racers and chav's want to race you, meaning they pull all sorts of stupid manoeuvres in traffic. People 'gawping' at the car, which is nice, but then they end up not paying attention to the road. Both of these things put you as well as other motorists (and the car) at risk. Getting stuck in a queue of traffic on Park Street in Bristol, desperately hoping you have adequate car control (in a vehicle you're not used to) so that you don't 1) burn out the clutch 2) stall it when the traffic moves and then get hit by a car behind.

All that being said it is the most fun I've had driving a car full stop(inluding Aston's and AMG Merc's etc). It's a very inoxicating mixture of fun, fear, adrenaline, speed, movement....it's very difficult to describe when you get the opportunity to make progress on a fantastic bit of road. Hiring that Gallardo is one of the best things I have ever done, despite the unexpected additional cost :headhurt:. I will do it again without a shadow of a doubt, unless of course I buy one or something similar in the next few years.

If you get an opportunity to drive a car like that, at whatever cost, with whatever restrictions at any location I would say do it. Go and enjoy the opportunity no matter how fleeting it may be, make the most of it. For that short period of time you'll have a blast driving one of the most amazing production cars available, see it as a privilege.

Then when you have to get out the passenger seat and hand the keys over think yourself lucky. Lucky that you've been able to drive one and lucky that you don't have to spend so much money servicing it, getting tyres for it, insuring it etc. If you worry about parking your Zed in a public car park, trust me, leaving something like a Lamborghini parked, even just for 2 minutes, is a whole other world of worry!

I've done 2 at Thruxton, in both the F430 and the Gallardo (I prefered the lambo to the Fezza, I found that too skitttish under braking). I was allowed to drive it pretty much how I wanted to. Maybe it's down to which instructor/car owner you get I suppose as I doubt it actually has anything to do with my driving! :blush:

My only criticism was of the single seaters, half the time you're bouncing off the rev limiter as they're limited too low for a fast track like Thruxton.

I can fully understand all the points above regarding the value and running costs/repair costs of these cars, and when you think about it, the imposed restrictions are fair, but......why not be a little more honest with potential punters? I dont think they mention anywhere how slow you are expected to drive, after all people pay good money for these things to do something they can't do in there own cars, otherwise why would you bother?

Why not sell it purely as a 'cruise in a supercar' and for those wishing to really nail a fast car on the track they could have race prepped Imprezas or some such thing (much less than £10k value for a very quick one). At least we wouldnt feel massive disappointment at the end of the day, feeling ripped off. Instead we would have got just what we ordered and would be keen to return for the other 'experiance' too rather than belly aching on public forums about these companies.

Sorry for the :rant:

I understand what you're saying Simon, it does seem to be a rough deal in some ways. However you still get to experience a car or cars that very few people will get an opportunity to drive.

It might be better if these companies could find a way of saying to people "ok, you've done the supercar experience and enjoyed it. Here's a voucher valid for 12 months giving you 50 or 70 quid off a half day 'one to one' supercar instruction. It'd cost you 400 quid normally but this voucher is a bonus for attending this experience so you've got a good saving."

That session would maybe give the attendee a bit more freedom to experience the car and potentially make the business money.

Hi everyone!

I have a question. My girlfriend, lovely as she is bought a me a Supercar Experience day for Xmas :yahoo:

I will get 3 laps driving a choice of 3 cars and wanted some advice to see what cars I should choose to drive!

The options are:

Nissan GTR

Lambo Mercialago

Ferrari 430

Audi R8

There are a few others but I don't have the papers with me here, I will add them later.

Which would you go for??

Thanks

Ryan B)

Ryan, top marks to your girlfriend for getting you such a cool present. For me it would have to be the Lamborghini, with the 430 a very close runner up.

Whatever car you decide on, really enjoy the day and take in as much in as you can. Trust me, you will absolutely love it. :thumbs:

+ 1 I had the Lambo too!

I was quite disappointed with my experience though...unfortunately there was torrential rain at the time I had my 'experience' and the instructor was being very strict. He wouldn't let me put my foot down and get forcing me to shift gear as soon as it hit 3k revs so couldn't really enjoy full power :rant: On top of that all the windows were steamed up so I couldn't see where I was going! I didn't think a supercar costing that much would have major condensation issues?! :wacko:

i had a similar experience. v wet and only the bloke in the galardo let me thrash it. Galardo was lovely!

Got my missus the famous four for christmas :-)

I took a Nissan GT-R round Mallory park recently, it was literally incredible! :scare: I also drove an Audi R8, a Lambo Gallardo, Ferrari F430 and 996 Carrera. The Nissan smashed them all out of the park in terms of fun :teeth:

Hope you have a great day whatever you choose!

Thanks for all the replies peeps!

I know that I am not going to get to rag it about like I would mine but I don't expect to... It is someone elses Lambo etc!! All I want to do is sit in my dream car and drive it about for a bit!! Maybe put my foot down on a couple of straights..... B)

I think it's going to be Lambo, Ferrari, GTR :D

Just to add to some of the slightly off topic threads (I'd save the Lambo for another time!) I was also disappointed with a track day I did at Prestwold Hall. It was only 4 laps and lasted less than 10 minutes. OK, for £75 you can't expect much but I wasn't even allowed to change gear - it was the gorgeous R8 open gate manual too :rant:

I did a rally day at Manby Motorplex which I'd definitely recommend, it was only a Pug 306 with tweaks but it was much more fun than the Prestwold 'track day'.

I did an Audi Experience day last year which was the nuts. I must have had about 3 hours track time during the day, driving the RS5, TTRS and R8 V10. I thought it was excellent value at 500 notes, but then I didn't pay for it :#1:

Thanks for all the replies peeps!

I know that I am not going to get to rag it about like I would mine but I don't expect to... It is someone elses Lambo etc!! All I want to do is sit in my dream car and drive it about for a bit!! Maybe put my foot down on a couple of straights..... B)

I think it's going to be Lambo, Ferrari, GTR :D

great choice... best pick! :thumbs: