The Big Man- charged

Ruddles

IMO whether or not the student was being cheeky/abusive/sarcastic towards the conductor, the "big-man" had no legal right to do what he did. Yes it is frustrating when you're on any kind of public transport that has been delayed due to this sort of scenario. I know the route this particular train was taking, i've used it many times, and have witnessed this sort of behaviour and worse before and every time the conductor has had time and opportunity to follow what must be the official policy. End result - BTP standing on the platform of the next station.

I'm not condoning the young persons behaviour but i believe that, if that had been someone who was physically more mature, i highly doubt the conductor or big-man would have acted the way they did.

ALL THREE PARTIES WERE IN THE WRONG - young person morally, conductor both by training and by allowing/agreeing for a passenger to throw him off (Is it the railway company's policy for a conductor/ticket inspector to allow a passenger to throw a fellow passenger off? Breach of UK Health & Safety laws?), and finally the big-man for actually making an un-lawful assualt on a fellow passenger.

Maybe i should throw off the next "suit" i see on the train taking up a whole table/bay with their bags and laptop. After all, they're just as annoying. Maybe i'll be hailed as a hero for that as well. :shrug:

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe i should throw off the next "suit" i see on the train taking up a whole table/bay with their bags and laptop. After all, they're just as annoying. Maybe i'll be hailed as a hero for that as well. :shrug:

i'm sure if you asked them nicely they'd move it for you to sit down.

i'm sure if you asked them nicely they'd move it for you to sit down.

Probably. What i'm getting at, though, is that the resulting actions would be similarly unneccessary and unwarranted.

Also, forgot to say in my last post, the big-man throwing that kid off the train would be like me asking one of my regular customers to eject a shoplifter from my place of work. If that was to happen, i'm pretty sure that after being suspended for breaking with company rules and policies i'd be handed my p45 and looking for a new job.

I've never worked for any of the railway companies, but i'm sure they will have rules/policies/guidelines for dealing with situations of this and similar natures, as most workplaces do. The ticket inspector/conductor has clearly broken these rules by allowing a fellow passenger (with no authority from either the railway company, the local or British Transport Police forces) to physically force someone out of their seat and off the train to their injury.

The big-man caused, by way of pushing the young person off the train, bodily harm. That is assault. No if's, no but's. If the ticket inspector had actually followed his company's policies, maybe the young person would have got his correct ticket for the inspector and/or the big-man would not be up for assault :shrug:

personally i think the term "assault" is branded around far to easily.

if he'd punched him - that to me would be assault

you only have to look at someone funnily now and you've caused them mental harm. we never used to be this soft and wet.

Have to agree Rich, one of the reasons this nation is going down the shitter. People are far too worried about offending everyone or what might happen when events are looked back in hindsight - therefor being overly PC - meaning the little scroats can act like idiots and everyone is helpless to do anything about it incase they get into trouble. Act like an idiot and get treated like an idiot IMO.

Gball: Sounds like you work in a shop? Are you saying if there was a trouble maker in the shop that an old shopkeeper couldnt eject you wouldnt approve of another customer helping?

Its attitudes like this that see people in need of help not getting any and I for one am sick of it. I was travelling to work one day when the car infront of me swerved off the road and hit a fence. Myself, and a trucker were the only people to stop on a very very busy A33 in rush hour. The driver had suffered a fit (from what I never found out). Being a trained first aider I stopped to help and the trucker called the ambulance. Fortunately the chap driving came around before they got there and was perfectly ok, but what if he wasnt? All these people that never even stopped to try and help. I think a lot of people are too scared because they might get in trouble if something goes wrong.

You cant make decisions in retrospect/hindsight, it has to be based on the facts presented at the time. At the time of this train incident the guy was acting like a tit, so got treated like one. So he wasnt actually a tit, but not one person on that train knew that and he could have avoided it oh so easily. So I for one think he got what was deserved.

/end rant.

you only have to look at someone funnily now and you've caused them mental harm. we never used to be this soft and wet.

Gball: Sounds like you work in a shop?

Rich, 100% agree with the above point, but only that.

Chris, Yes i'm a Manager at the Dundee branch of Wickes. Have worked there for about six years, electrical retail before that and in the Hospitality trade before that, so have a good knowledge of customer service. Unfortunately the Ticket Inspector looks like he has forgotten the training his employer gave him as, i'm pretty sure (especially with any kind of transport company), health and safety goes hand in hand with customer service.

He disregarded the safety of both the young person and the big-man : what if the big-man just started to give young person a kicking before throwing him off? What if young person (as happened to another ticket inspector just a few days after) stabbed the big-man? As you both know, UK Heath and Safety in the workplace laws firmly put the employee as responsible for the safety of himself, colleagues and customers (passengers in this case). As a result of the inspector not doing his duty as trained to, and allowing a customer to throw another customer off he has, IMHO, been negligent in his duty. Most people seem to be focused on the young persons behaviour- YES, he was out of line speaking to anyone like that, but just like this clip http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VY27OM_-7oE (this person claims to be a student of the law), what happened before the start of the clip everyone has seen? Why would a student from one of Scotland's top universities start speaking like that? Maybe he was perfectly polite and well mannered? Maybe the inspector decided to be a to$$er towards him because he was wearing a hoodie? Who knows :shrug:

What i do know is this

1 the footage shown, indicates that the young person was verbally out of line.

2 the ticket inspector allows a customer the manhandle and assault a fellow customer

3 the ticket inspector fails to follow his employers policies and UK H&S by allowing the above to happen instead of calling ahead to the next station for assistance.

I'm most definately not the world's best at staying PC, but, unfortunately, these are the times we live in and that is what i see. :disguise: Anyway , have a good crimbo folks :thumbs::drunk:

I'm all for giving these scroats what they deserve - we are such a namby-pamby state these days with inadequate deterrents. :dry:

And because so many of us work in environments where you can't do this and can't do that and looking over shoulders for the racist card being thrown etc, when a little common-sense can adequately sort most issues, its no wonder this country is going to the dogs......

Probably why Cameron got such unexpected support with his stand against the Euro issue - at long last a politician with a backbone, whether he was right or wrong, it was so good to see.

If the big-man gets done then that just confirms the state we are in :angry:

I'm most definately not the world's best at staying PC, but, unfortunately, these are the times we live in and that is what i see. :disguise: Anyway , have a good crimbo folks :thumbs::drunk:

Cant appreciate the position you're in as a manager and have to tow the HSE line. Just a shame it always comes to that nowadays and people arent allowed to excercise common sense any more.

And they wonder why the young people of this age have no sense of morals or right/wrong. Because if you're just told stuff and dont find it out for yourself, you dont actually learn anything :doh: Let kids make some mistakes, get a clip round the ear hole or get themselves into scrapes, and they'll not make the mistake again ;)

Cant appreciate the position you're in as a manager and have to tow the HSE line.

Almost the point i was trying to make :thumbs:All employees are responsible! Due to the potential (any)dangers of working on a train, the ticket inspectors will have have more than average training on this subject. He clearly either forgot or completely ignored it.