Rev Skipping

Andy1981

Hi All

Not sure how best to explain this.

I have a Jan 2008 57 plate with 24k on clock.

When I start her up she revs at about 2k for a few minutes then calms down, is this usual?

Also when I pull away slow or ease off then accelerate at low revs @1k it is not smooth has a sort of jump almost like a mini mis-fire but I am no mechanic.

Runs on a mix of 95 and 99 every 2nd or 3rd tank as wasn't aware it made that much of a difference for a normal user (non racer)

Also how do you get the fuel consumption up lol!

All help appreciated.

For improving the MPG take a look here - http://priuschat.com/forums/ ;)

I have always averaged 25 - 28 which is good I think.

The higher revs on start is normal on most cars, it's fast idle. It's instead of having a manual choke, something none of my cars have had! :lol::lol::lol:

Not sure about the mis fire..... I'd check the cars earth straps as an easy check but I might be totally wrong!

I used to get something a little like this, then I got a grounding kit and things are a lot smoother now :thumbs:

For improved MPG buy ballet shoes :lol: and I wouldn't use mostly 95 with the odd 99, better the other way around really... I don't use the really expensive stuff as Iblibe next door to Sainsbury so I use their unleaded which is 97 I believe?

It may well be worth checking the earthing strap / grounding as suggested as from memory (mine is not the best!) an issue there may be causing the 'jump / twitch' youre experiencing.

As for the fuel I believe the general and most accepted view is to run on 98+ octane fuel (Shell V Power, Tesco Momentum etc) as thats Nissan's recommendation for the engine. There have been a couple of threads recently about engines failing potentially because of the long term use of 95 octane fuel.

I always try and use 98+ octane fuel, but if I'm ever 'caught short' I would put ten quid of 95 ron fuel in just to get to the next 98+ octane fuel forecourt then I'd fill her up. Idrive a mix of A, B roads and motorway and I'm sitting at 28mpg at the moment just through smooth and progressive acceleration / braking and gear changes.

It may well be worth checking the earthing strap / grounding as suggested as from memory (mine is not the best!) an issue there may be causing the 'jump / twitch' youre experiencing.

As for the fuel I believe the general and most accepted view is to run on 98+ octane fuel (Shell V Power, Tesco Momentum etc) as thats Nissan's recommendation for the engine. There have been a couple of threads recently about engines failing potentially because of the long term use of 95 octane fuel.

I always try and use 98+ octane fuel, but if I'm ever 'caught short' I would put ten quid of 95 ron fuel in just to get to the next 98+ octane fuel forecourt then I'd fill her up. Idrive a mix of A, B roads and motorway and I'm sitting at 28mpg at the moment just through smooth and progressive acceleration / braking and gear changes.

Good advice there - you certainly would be wise to avoid using 95 from what we are learning about damage that has occurred to some engines that has been put down to using low octane fuel. Stick with the recommended 98+ rating :thumbs: