how bad is my door??

jumping350

Well up to this point ive refrained from posting pics up of the damaged zed... its too painful :lol:

Im in a prediciment now ive got another door (Gunmetal- thanks to it looking like blade silver in the pic!)

Any way if im to put this on apparently im gonna have to spray the wing and rear to match!

Someone i spoke to said my door is repairable im not to sure as its dented along the crease...anyone reckon i can fix it or will it be a full swap and side of car respray??

obviously i would want to do the cheaper of the two as im poor and would prefer to keep my original door to

any comments greatly appreciated!!

oh yeah i too am miffed how the side skirt came out pretty much spotless too :shrug:and yes i know i need spacers :lol:

bottom dent looks like it coul dbe pulled, the one on the crease not sure about, but you'd be suprised at the magic they can work these days. bodyshop would probalby pull what they can then fill and build then re spray.

the whol side of the car wouldn't need spraying just the door, as its got an edge to work to they can blend it in to match the body.

2 choices,

Option 1

Go to a bodyshop get them to repair it and re paint, i would think you are looking at between £300-£500 but the paint work will be covered for life of the work or at least 10 years (dpends on the shop) and the finish should be perfect.

Option 2

Go to someone like chips away, or dent masters or another type of smart repairer, they will repair just the damage, probably looking at between £100-£200, but the qulaity of the work dpends on the person doing it, some franchised people are better than others and thats even within the same company. sometimes the repair is slightly visible (but you have to look very hard at the right angle) the work doesn't always last, and the gaurentee is only for about 12 months.

if you already have a replacement door, it should only need the door painting, it shouldn't need the whole side of the car doing.

still looking at between £200-£300 for the spraying of the panel. might be less.

refitting a new door is possibly the easier option, possibly cost less as they won't need to repair it.

where in the south are you. location helps as the place i use is excellent, but could still be miles away.

Not sure about a zed but normally you wouldnt need a whole new door. A door usually consists of a frame and a skin, so its just the skin. I reskinned a Mini door last year and the new skin was about 15quid. Took me 30mins, then obviously you have to paint it.

Id say that original skin could be repaired, but you have to factor in the cost of someone spending a few hours pulling dents out and filling / sanding. Id still say that would be cheaper than a skin as you have to take the door off, strip the window out, the trim...

Other option maybe to get a second hand entire door, in the correct colour, second hand. Then its a DIY case of swapping them over. Only problem ive found with this option is that when you want a silver door, there will never ever ever be a second hand one in that colour. You can find every colour under the sun but the one you want!

:doh:

Repair, don't fit a new door 9 times out of 10 the shut lines never match as well as the original. You can have a brand new door fitted and blended in and it could still look like they have fitted a door off a Ford Anglia. Body In White panels come in batches and I can say after working in BIW in the past differences between presses can on paper look minimal but in reality over the distance on that sort of panel can look massive when fitted.

Sounds daft but trust me. Don't matter how good the paint match is it's the continuity of the trim and gap around the door aperture that will draw your eye :wave:

Thanks for advice guys ...your exactly right thats why ive got a gunmetal door on my table that my gf isnt happy with :lol: not a silver one in sight...

ive stripped that door anyway so if it had to get sprayed its prepped and ready anyway

im gonna look into having the skin repaired then and see what the outcome will be i didnt realise you could unbolt the frame part of the door.

Thats abummer about fitament issues as this is what i was thinking but would seem the easier option as i have the complete door motors everything so would be spray rebuild then straight swap.

repair would mean car going in for a good while i think but if its best option it will have to be done

Not sure about a zed but normally you wouldnt need a whole new door. A door usually consists of a frame and a skin, so its just the skin. I reskinned a Mini door last year and the new skin was about 15quid. Took me 30mins, then obviously you have to paint it.

Id say that original skin could be repaired, but you have to factor in the cost of someone spending a few hours pulling dents out and filling / sanding. Id still say that would be cheaper than a skin as you have to take the door off, strip the window out, the trim...

Other option maybe to get a second hand entire door, in the correct colour, second hand. Then its a DIY case of swapping them over. Only problem ive found with this option is that when you want a silver door, there will never ever ever be a second hand one in that colour. You can find every colour under the sun but the one you want!