Anyone fancy a road trip ? :D

Mega

Semi-serious topic.

I'm trying to plan a road trip for next Summer. Will be taking the zed sowill be posting up with advance requests on getting more than 1 hours worth of luggage in; etc - in due course :)

Take a look at this:

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?saddr=london&daddr=Am+Olympiapark+2,+80809+M%C3%BCnchen,+Deutschland+(BMW+Museum)+to:Transf%C4%83g%C4%83r%C4%83%C5%9Fan,+Sibiu,+Rom%C3%A2nia+to:Budapest,+Hungary+to:N%C3%BCrburgring,+N%C3%BCrburg,+Germany+to:london&hl=en&ie=UTF8&sll=48.589326,12.23877&sspn=12.185702,33.815918&geocode=FXjUEQMd5BL-_yl13iGvC6DYRzGZKtXdWjqWUg%3BFccf3wIdRF-wACGc8bA5DxYk1Q%3BFQ7guAIdUkB3ASlzfDA4qt1MRzE3h2C9en5RUA%3BFabE1AId9okiASnJz9TRNMNBRzFgER4MKcQABA%3BFWcQAAMdfg5qACGoNLZfAqkeLQ%3BFXjUEQMd5BL-_yl13iGvC6DYRzGZKtXdWjqWUg&vpsrc=0&mra=ls&t=m&z=6

Central, down to the chunnel - followed by a blast down to Munich where I'll stay on night 1. Day 2 check out the BMW museum before driving on to Sibiu, Romania - for night 2. We then get an EARLY start and fly over to the Transfagarasan highway, perhaps running this twice.

We then run from Sibiu back to Budapest, Hungary - for a three night stay. Recover, then drink.. Lots for 2 nights. Then on the final day drive up to the Széchenyi Baths in North West Pest, have a few hours of recovery and then an epic run to the Nurburgring.

Arriving at the ring on Thurs night, there'll be the 3 hour open slot on Fri evening and a full Touristfahrten on Saturday.

Drive back on Sunday.

Take monday off to recover.

Total round trip is approx 3000 miles!! Mostly motorway so will get the full 300 mile range from the zed :D Just the 10 tanks of fuel then!!!!! Plus another tank for the ring laps. Costs otherwise are a service beforehand, tyres both beforehand and possibly afterwards, accomodation (only expensive at the ring) and food/drink.

The places:

BMW Welt: http://www.bmw-welt.com/web_rb/bmw-welt ... rview.html

Transfăgărășan Highway: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transf%C4% ... 83%C8%99an

Széchenyi Baths: http://visitbudapest.travel/activities/ ... nyi-baths/

And the 'ring needs no introduction of course...

web-ring-aerial-af.jpg

Sound like a plan?

:) Dave

Nice route, I just drove to Munich and back last weekend actually - its a long haul from Calais though (stopped in Baden Baden) must be a good 12 hours once you build in pit stops. The roads are a bit dull until you start to hit southern Germany when it turns totally gorgeous :thumbs:

That's an ambitious drive in that time, 3000 miles in 8 nights (did I count this right?). I've done a few really big tours over the years, one of the first was 4.5k miles in 17 days, on the single night stops, we always arrived knackered then set off next day for a destination and, even staying three nights it was drive all day, 1st night knackered, second day/night, bit of sightseeing resting, third day, just about recovered before an early bed and off again the next day and so on with a mixture of 1, 2 and 3 night stays.

We needed a holiday after it! Bearing in mind we always, apart from once arriving in Newcastle, had a big drive/overnight from a Channel port. In subsequent years we've done bigger trips but took 3-4 weeks with very few one nighters.

I wish I had your energy, as the last thing I'd want to do after your first part, is thrash about round the Ring for a few days :surrender:

I much prefer a more relaxed GT type tour with shorter journeys in between longer stays, there was one year we even went to Portugal for the day from Northern Spain, (A' Caruna, to be exact), just to bag another country :lol: , before heading back over to Pamplona :wacko:

Good luck anyway and I hope it all goes well and you stay safe :thumbs:

Sounds like a nice tour, but as said you'll need at LEAST 10 days. I've done two trips 2,500 miles each both being 10 days. This included a stop over in Hungary for 4 days on my last trip. I want to do the ring and see my dad again, so this would be perfect for me. My dad lives on the south west coast of Lake Balaton where the beer is very cheap and great weather.

In terms of cost for fuel, in August the 100 octane was 1.72 euro a litre, so make sure you have plenty of cash. If you drive through Austria, Hungary, Switzerland and Slivenia you MUST pay to drive their motorways. I slipped up in Slivenia and had a 150euro fine!!!