Engine light on after throttle body clean

sam uk

Hi guys,

I've added a new k&n panel filter this weekend to replace the old dirty standard filter. Whilst i was on the job i decided to give the throttle body a clean in situe. I loosened off the pipe and maf and used a microfibre cloth and removed a lot of black crap from around the butterfly.

After making two short journey's i noticed the power didn't seem as smooth. On the third journey the engine management light came on as i set off, joined by the esp light and the power seemed to back right off.

Is there a likely cause of this? I'm kicking myself at the moment because i feel i've done more harm than good. :thumbdown:

Did you do all the resetting procedures? Last time I cleaned my TB and moved the butterfly valve I had a really high idle and lumpy acceleration because it knocks it all out of sync.

I did the ECU reset, Throttle valve position learn and accelerator position learn (they're called something like that!). Maybe if you don't do them after tinkering around the TB after a while it realises it's wrong and you get the light come on?

Hopefully it's something as simple as that!

Did you do all the resetting procedures? Last time I cleaned my TB and moved the butterfly valve I had a really high idle and lumpy acceleration because it knocks it all out of sync.

I did the ECU reset, Throttle valve position learn and accelerator position learn (they're called something like that!). Maybe if you don't do them after tinkering around the TB after a while it realises it's wrong and you get the light come on?

Hopefully it's something as simple as that!

Sounds hopefull. No I have not done any resets what so ever. I've seen the proceedures instructions before and some seem a bit hit and miss. Should i just disconnect the battery overnight?

If you moved the butterfly while cleaning it , it may need recalibration

Guide for this can be found http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=55272 here but check everything is back on good and tight first.

I definately moved the butterfly whilst cleaning.

That is your issue mate.

The resets will soon fix it :thumbs:

Alex. :)

If its not just an idle reset, check your maf is screwed and in place. and clean that with maf cleaner then idle reset.

Got some CRC maf cleaner on order but going to hold fire that until I check the pipes and do the idle reset. I'll update this post tomorrow after i give it a go.

If its not just an idle reset, check your maf is screwed and in place. and clean that with maf cleaner then idle reset.

Got some CRC maf cleaner on order but going to hold fire that until I check the pipes and do the idle reset. I'll update this post tomorrow after i give it a go.

Thanks Alex i'll sleep a bit better tonight :blush:

I've just reset the the idle and the engine light is now off.

So far so good. Going to take it for a spin later to check everything is ok.

One thing i noticed whilst stationary is that even the slightest touch on the accelerator causes the car to rev and hold for a couple of seconds at 1700 rpm.

Is this normal?

Been out for a gentle 10 minute spin and the engine light has stayed off, but there's definately a strange feel. The revs still seem to stick for a few seconds at around 1500 revs and the car seems to jump slightly when changing gear.

Should I expect to drive it a bit more after the idle reset before things return to normal?