Why bother....

evilscorp

Sum old guy just rear ended my parked shed, it was on the street outside my mums flat, he admits liability and I have a witness. So I contact my insurance, Admiral who says great its all there fault cool np then they put me onto sum other company to deal with the claim as im third party fire and theft, albany assistance (ha!) so after going over everything they ask do you have use of another car, yes I say (this is where it all goes to hell) ahh right sir you will need to get two quotes for the repair... err the car is a non mover and most likely a writeoff as it is valued at 500-600 quid (autotrader) and it will cost more to repair from what I can see. So they tell me to get someone to come view it, EVERY garage will not come to view the car due to it being 99% probably a writeoff and they also would need the insurer to contact them which albany refuses to do? after 4hours on the phone to lots of people ive been told im in a catch 22 situation and admiral has told me to deal with it myself???? :rant: So tryed contacting the other partys insurance = we have no record of the accident!

Finally phoned the old guy to find out he has already got a hire car and his is in for repairs, he also gave me his incident ref no and the right number for the broker not the insurer to see if I can get them to come view the car tell me the obvious and tow it away and lose money on a car I just did a lot of work on (new head, service, tires)

Totally let down and dont see the point in having had insurance for the dam thing in the first place would probably be cheaper to accept a police fine :lol:

Wish me luck...... on monday when the broker opens :dry:

Albany are basically loss recovery agents / lawyers or something like that. They are not insurers. There's clearly no profit in this for them so they are not interested. You only have third party fire and theft so that doesn't cover any damage to your car I believe so you probably have to go it alone unfortunately. Do you have AA or RAC cover? If you do you could call them for advice.

I refused to allow Admiral/Elephant to pass my claim over to Albany as I had read horror stories on the net about them. For me Admiral/Elephant dealt with my claim directly but I have comprehensive cover.

Jim

You only have third party fire and theft so that doesn't cover any damage to your car I believe so you probably have to go it alone unfortunately.

That makes no difference, he's claiming from the other party who have admitted liability. If he was comprehensive on the shed, he would still be claiming from the other party. The issue is the lack of support from his own insurers and their subs, an area which, no doubt, they made great plays on to generate and secure business in the first place. Like you said, "why bother". Once they have your money they're like rats on a sinking ship.

I would suggest that you put the onus on the other parties insurers (which you would have expected Admiral to do for you) to sort out your car. They have a claim against them, tell them in no uncertain terms to sort it. It's up to them to inspect the vehicle to decide whether repair is viable. If, as you suspect, they will consider it a total loss, make sure you only accept market value or better, you're not obliged to accept their first offer. As Scuba suggested, if you have any legal services attached to any other policy's, memberships, credit card's, home insurance, give them a call for advice, or even the citizens advice bureau. Make sure you keep records of all correspondance etc.

Whilst the other party has probably just called his claims hotline to sort everything, it is unlikely that his broker will be interested, they would just refer you back to your own insurer, or at best, the other parties actual insurance company. At least you can tell Admiral to get stuffed at renewal.

Either way, you have a legitimate claim, stay cool, and don't let the b@stards grind you down. Best of luck.

You only have third party fire and theft so that doesn't cover any damage to your car I believe so you probably have to go it alone unfortunately.

That makes no difference, he's claiming from the other party who have admitted liability. If he was comprehensive on the shed, he would still be claiming from the other party. The issue is the lack of support from his own insurers and their subs, an area which, no doubt, they made great plays on to generate and secure business in the first place. Like you said, "why bother". Once they have your money they're like rats on a sinking ship.

I would suggest that you put the onus on the other parties insurers (which you would have expected Admiral to do for you) to sort out your car. They have a claim against them, tell them in no uncertain terms to sort it. It's up to them to inspect the vehicle to decide whether repair is viable. If, as you suspect, they will consider it a total loss, make sure you only accept market value or better, you're not obliged to accept their first offer. As Scuba suggested, if you have any legal services attached to any other policy's, memberships, credit card's, home insurance, give them a call for advice, or even the citizens advice bureau. Make sure you keep records of all correspondance etc.

Whilst the other party has probably just called his claims hotline to sort everything, it is unlikely that his broker will be interested, they would just refer you back to your own insurer, or at best, the other parties actual insurance company. At least you can tell Admiral to get stuffed at renewal.

Either way, you have a legitimate claim, stay cool, and don't let the b@stards grind you down. Best of luck.

Great advice :thumbs:

Being TPFT in this instance is irrelevant. The other party are at fault and have admitted liability, therefore the only obligation you have to your own insurance is to inform them of the incident. In an ideal world they would take over the repair of your car and provide a hire car (this is how they make money out of accidents that are not their clients fault ;) ) and then claim it all back from the other drivers insurance.

If the other party has a hire car already then there is a claim in the system already so you need to phone them and not take no for an answer!! :boxing:

PS: The broker won't want to know on Monday, why would they? They source policies not provide claims advice/help.

Can't add much to what has been said above but I know how you feel - your cars been hit by someone else and now YOU have to do all the work to sort it out - WRONG!

Good luck with it hope they sort it for you like they should.

...he's claiming from the other party who have admitted liability....

I don't dispute that.

...The issue is the lack of support from his own insurers...

Isn't that because he has taken out a third party fire and theft policy? That means his insurers liability extends only as far as reimbursements third parties (damage to property, injury, death), reimbursements to the owner if the vehicle is stolen or the vehicle is destroyed in a fire. Surely Admiral are not liable in any way to chase the third party for damages as the owner hasn't paid for these services? I'd really would like to be shown otherwise, I really would.

I've just read through Admiral's policy with respect to third party and in no way does it state that it will pursue damages owed to the policy holder on the policy holder's behalf. The only place I could see this is if the cover was comprehensive.

Jim

[quote name="scubapics

Isn't that because he has taken out a third party fire and theft policy? That means his insurers liability extends only as far as reimbursements third parties (damage to property' date=' injury, death), reimbursements to the owner if the vehicle is stolen or the vehicle is destroyed in a fire. Surely Admiral are not liable in any way to chase the third party for damages as the owner hasn't paid for these services? I'd really would like to be shown otherwise, I really would.

I've just read through Admiral's policy with respect to third party and in no way does it state that it will pursue damages owed to the policy holder on the policy holder's behalf. The only place I could see this is if the cover was comprehensive.

Jim[/quote]

scubapics wrote: "You only have third party fire and theft so that doesn't cover any damage to your car I believe"

I was merely clarifying the position that the level of Evilscorp insurance affecting his ability to claim was irrelevant.

Part of his issue was the lack of support from Admiral/Albany, if you read my post properly, I did not suggest that they should help, only that marketing may try to lure customers with suggestion to the contrary. At least you have now read their small print, most people don't bother.

the problem with insurance companies now is that you usually have a broker, an insurer and then in the event of anything actually happening you have a incident management company. The amount of issues I had with a previous accident were ridiculous and it was almost impossible to get any of the companies involved to take responsibility for anything.

I feel your pain :surrender: