Tracking issues with Nismo S-Tune kit

ozwald

Righto guys got a bit of an odd one here hoping someone can help out...

Fitted the Nismo S-Tune kit to my 06 Z about a month ago now, no problems, pretty simple install and all. Drove it for about a week and a half before going to get the tracking sorted out, peace of mind more than anything else, there wasn't anything wrong. Took it down to the local laser alignment place, they did their stuff and a couple hours later car is back but the steering wheel is very slightly off center to the left. Tech said this was because the car was lowered but that the wheels were dead straight and the easiest solution was to just take the wheel off and re-seat it. Thought this was a tad suspect and realise now that I shouldn't have accepted that, but there we go.

Been driving it for a couple weeks now and have noticed an odd issue, seems to only occur on right hand corners, with the TCS on and damp, wet conditions. What happens is that the ABS applies to the front left and the slip light appears, which when you're not expecting it is bloody terrifying! Now this doesn't seem to be a traction specific issue as I can take the same corner, same condition, with TCS off and nothing happens. Tyre tread is fine, pressures are fine as well, never had any accident damage or suchlike either.

Couple of my mates are technicians and both have told me that I've been fed BS and that there's no reason the wheel shouldn't be straight after the tracking and that most likely the ABS/Stability issue is because the wheel sensors / steering wheel position, are over compensating when turning right and upsetting the system. Went to another alignment shop to get a second opinion and they confirmed that it sounds like it's not been tracked properly. Went back to the first place this afternoon, gave them this info and their response was that with the lowered suspension the car must need different toe/camber settings and if I can provide these then they can put the settings into the machine and re-track it.

So... after that long introduction I have two questions... are there alternate settings for the Nismo kit that anyone knows of? I saw nothing when I was researching the kit and considering it's sold as a 'Set it and forget it' kit I'd be very surprised if there is.

Secondly anyone else think I'm being sold a crock of sh*t?

Cheers Guys!

Short answer is no - go back and tell them to set it to OEM settings. The wheel being straight has nothing to do with camber or toe. I suggest you Google them and you'll quickly sus why that is ;) The steering wheel needs to be kept dead ahead when starting the allignment as that is the dead ahead reference you are aiming to get to. Also the rear wheels need to be straight before they do the front as they use that as a reference point.

If they cant get it right then speak to the manager and get your money back and go somewhere else.

Thanks Chris, yea told me they used the OEM settings, they've given me a print out from the first alignment and it shows everything within what I presume are acceptable tolerances, hence why they're asking for different settings for the lowered suspension. Back to them I shall go tomorrow, although I can see their excuses already.... major problem with this Island, nobody seems willing to do a proper job, half a job and send them on their way.

Neil - Toyo T1-R, all matched, all correct sizes.

Its got nothing to do with their settings - the only thing you cant get within tollerances with lowered setup usually is the camber, but that doesnt stop the wheel being straight! They need to start with the steering wheel dead centre in the car, then you set the wheels up from there. If they dont understand that concept, then I dont know what they are doing working there :headhurt:

Welcome to Jersey - Why do something properly when you can do a half arsed job and charge through the nose. £75 it cost me to become scared of right handers in the wet. :surrender:

Worth asking Chippy or Bendrews if they can recommend somewhere on the Island who will do it right?

Welcome to Jersey - Why do something properly when you can do a half arsed job and charge through the nose. £75 it cost me to become scared of right handers in the wet. :surrender:

Worth asking Chippy or Bendrews if they can recommend somewhere on the Island who will do it right?

We have 3 places... the one I went to, a system at the Island Higher Education College and the other place I went to for a second opinion who I didn't go to first because last time I went to use them for getting new tyres they quoted me £330 fitted for two front T1-R's and promised me best price, found them online for £230 delivered and was told, "You'd be better off getting them then".

Can't wait to leave here for good! But that's another story!

bit of a nightmare mate, I'd be going straight back. The s-tune suspension doesnt drop that much in comparison to some setups and is designed for the car.

I'd be getting a refund and trying elsewhere, no chance of heading to france and getting someone to look at it?

found this:

"I just installed my Nismo S set up and for the REAR I got -2.4* each side...specs are between -1.1* and -2.1* so it wasn't that far off. I was able to bring it to

-1.8* each side easily with an alignment and no special camber kit."

off here:

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-susp ... -spec.html

if that is of any help :shrug:

found this:

"I just installed my Nismo S set up and for the REAR I got -2.4* each side...specs are between -1.1* and -2.1* so it wasn't that far off. I was able to bring it to

-1.8* each side easily with an alignment and no special camber kit."

off here:

http://my350z.com/forum/brakes-and-susp ... -spec.html

if that is of any help :shrug:

Hmm... interesting... the print out they gave me shows the rear camber at 1.37 both sides. I suspect what they've done is set the tracking correctly but that the steering wheel wasn't straight when they started.... as ridiculous as that sounds...

Front is 1.25 left and 1.14 right... I shall have a search to see if that's correct.

I suspect what they've done is set the tracking correctly but that the steering wheel wasn't straight when they started.... as ridiculous as that sounds...

Not ridiculous at all, I think thats exactly whats happened ;)

S-Tune doesnt lower it enough to not be able to get spot on or close to OEM specs - and even then the OEM specs have nothing to do with a steeringwheel not being straight.