Fuel Stability

MFM

Hello...... when the ice, salt and snow arrive here I will store the Z in the garage. Where I am (hill top) when the weather is bad tons of salt are scattered and even drivng the 4x4 last year was tricky in 3 foot of the white stuff.

I have spent quite a bit of time reading about degradation of unleaded fuel. Has anyone used a stabiliser in the fuel when storing, if so were there any problems? ~ what did you use? ~ any comment?

Thanks

:dry:

I would actually do the complete opposite, Its the air in the tank that makes the fuel go off, as all the additives evaporate.

However if you fill up to the brim, no air will be present therefore the fuel can't go off. :thumbs:

whats a gerry can.... :lol::lol::lol:

I would say store the Zed with as little fuel in it as possible, then when want to you take her out of the garage go get a big gerry can full of 99 ron before you start up :thumbs:

I would actually do the complete opposite, Its the air in the tank that makes the fuel go off, as all the additives evaporate.

However if you fill up to the brim, no air will be present therefore the fuel can't go off. :thumbs:

I would say store the Zed with as little fuel in it as possible, then when want to you take her out of the garage go get a big gerry can full of 99 ron before you start up :thumbs:

You know what I am on about :lol:

I was told that no matter how much was in the tank it would go off after a certain amount of time , so rather waste a little than a lot :shrug:

You know what I am on about :lol:

I was told that no matter how much was in the tank it would go off after a certain amount of time , so rather waste a little than a lot :shrug:

Yeah but surely we are talking months and months, not just over the winter?

Are you leaving the car alone for two years?

No?

Then don't worry about it. It'll make no difference in practical terms whether the tank is full or empty or somewhere inbetween, just keep the battery on a trickle charger and start it up every 4 weeks or so.

Hmm complicated. Air helps the breakdown but also it seems that the fuel actually breaks down with a full tank to the brim and the air vent capped for storage. Came across this:

http://www.musclecarclub.com/library/show/storage.shtml

If you type in fuel stabiliser on Google there are dozens for car use.

Basically I dont want to fill the tank with vroom fuel and then find when the salt/ice goes I then have to drain the tank and deal with varnished (from stale fuel) engine parts.

What to do? :shrug:

What to do? :shrug:

It's a common-as-muck Nissan, not a 60 year-old Ferrari. It'll survive a winter regardless of what you do to it. Hell, even if you just parked it up and left it exactly how it is now you could start it in 6 months time off a battery pack without any issues, promise. :)

The much better idea is just to carry on driving it of course... :drive1

Are you leaving the car alone for two years?

No?

Then don't worry about it. It'll make no difference in practical terms whether the tank is full or empty or somewhere inbetween, just keep the battery on a trickle charger and start it up every 4 weeks or so.

Just starting a car up every 4 weeks or so does not work. From experience I spent 5 years rebuilding an Armstrong Siddeley (1952) Whitley (18HP !) After sorting the engine and associated I then went onto to other things and run the engine up to normal temp every month. Over time problems developed in the carb and other fuel associated items. The valves also got tacky. I have no problems about electrics I just don't want to mistake about screwing up the V6 bits with stale fuel and oxidised bits! Hence the post............... :)