What is the best wireless router for talk talk?

SteveRS

I'm not too clued up on what is and what isn't a good router, all i know is that my 4 year old siemens tiscali stock router is not working how it should be, i have to turn it off and on again on a regular basis to get wireless connectivity back.

So im looking to replace it and my question to those with a bit more knowledge than me is, what is the best router to go for which is compatible with Talk Talk? What do you guys use?

Any help is much appreciated :thumbs:

Have a look at Linksys or Netgear....they seem to do what they say on the tin :thumbs:

I have a Linksys one at the moment and seems to be fine. Had Netgear in the past as well :thumbs:

+1

although out of preference I'd move well away from TalkTalk

Have a look at Linksys or Netgear....they seem to do what they say on the tin :thumbs:

I have a Linksys one at the moment and seems to be fine. Had Netgear in the past as well :thumbs:

+1

although out of preference I'd move well away from TalkTalk

I know, i would definitely change if i could get a better deal else where without it costing me £30 + a month!

I'll have a look at netgear, any particular models?

Steve, mine came with a D-Link router. Have you tried changing the channel? I used to get loads of dropouts until I changed the channel to 13 & don't have anything like the problems I used to have.

Type 192.168.1.1 into the internet search, password is: admin username: admin

Select Advanced, Wireless Setup, then Wireless Channel. Then change to see how you go.

Steve, mine came with a D-Link router. Have you tried changing the channel? I used to get loads of dropouts until I changed the channel to 13 & don't have anything like the problems I used to have.

Select Advanced, Wireless Setup, then Wireless Channel. Then change to see how you go.

Thanks Keith, I will give this a try, thanks mate. Although i might switch providers as my download speed is currently 3.9mbps and Sky can give me 7.0mbps

But will you achieve that though? It's all based on how far you are from the BT relay station.

Its just down the end of my road, but i know what your saying. I did a compare thing on Uswitch and it gave me the speeds for my area based on my address. :shrug:

Thanks Keith, I will give this a try, thanks mate. Although i might switch providers as my download speed is currently 3.9mbps and Sky can give me 7.0mbps

If you go to anyone they will say you can have 7mb........... but your actual speed 3.9mb is unlikely to change who ever you are with. Every one tells us we can have 24mb............ but have never had more than 8mb.

Its all to do with contention on your lines. If it was just you then you would get the maximum, every neighbour who has ADSL is "sharing your bandwidth".... so the more neighbours... the less you get.

Some days here its fast, then after 6pm when everyone gets home the internet runs like a dog..... thats contention :thumbs:

If you go to anyone they will say you can have 7mb........... but your actual speed 3.9mb is unlikely to change who ever you are with. Every one tells us we can have 24mb............ but have never had more than 8mb.

Its all to do with contention on your lines. If it was just you then you would get the maximum, every neighbour who has ADSL is "sharing your bandwidth".... so the more neighbours... the less you get.

Some days here its fast, then after 6pm when everyone gets home the internet runs like a dog..... thats contention :thumbs:

good advice :thumbs:

this may help http://download.cnet.com/1770-20_4-0.ht ... =downloads - picks up all the wireless networks around you and tells you what channel(s) they are running on, choose one no one else around you is using - jobs a good un

it could just be your router has had it, ring your provider tell them you considering sky (which you clearly are), they may just send you one free of charge! :)

What are the experiences with Sky broadband on here?

On TalkTalk at my house I use a Netgear router, can't really fault it for what I use.

The girlfriends parents have sky broadband and it seems good, it's much faster than mine (Cable vs analogue).