Honda Civic 2.2 CTDI any help?

kevlo

Hi Guys and Girls, once again i'm talking about non 350z related stuff so apologies for that but its because this forum is so good that i always end up here. (I've still got my 350z which i love to bits but its tucked up in the garage as we're on a big cash saving mission for a house build project).

I get a generous car allowance from work that i currently use to lease a BMW 330D touring M Sport which is a great car. However I plan to send it back, buy my own car and pocket the car allowance to go towards the house.

My budget is approx £6k, i've looked around and have come to the decision that i want a Honda Civic 2.2CDTI. Mainly because of reliability, looks and the possibility of remapping to approx 190bhp.

Has anybody got any experience of these? Are they like all other Honda's and have great reliability?

I've looked on honda dealers (too expensive), ebay, pistonheads and autotrader and the choices aren't great for my budget, is there other places i should be looking?

Any help much appreciated

At one point my occupation involved driving a lot of different cars. One of the most impressive but underrated and overlooked cars I had driven was the new Honda Accord. That car seriously blew me away...it drove like a proper luxury car, it had enough poke to get me around and it had a countless amount of gadgets that even higher class cars didn't have. I tried to think of a gadget or a feature the car was missing an I struggled (I did realise it didn't have massage seats :p)!

In comparison, if the Civic is anywhere near as good as the Accord I would definitely go for it! In terms of gadgets and features I'm not sure how they are but engine-wise they will be great. The 2.2 litre powerplant should have enough poke to get you around, that's what the Accord had and I'm sure they are both the same engines?

I have a lot of respect for Honda's...

Im currently in the Accord cdti. wont talk about the car as it not a civic. the engine is great its very quick for a diesel :) Like you say 180/190 bhp is achievable with a remap and cat back and panel filter. then it'll blow you away very quick and pulls like a train.

Just watch out for clutches they have a problem most should of been replace early on under warranty but make sure, as these are very expensive to replace. dual mass will prob need to be replace as-well which Honda charge around £950 for the part alone you then have the clutch and labour on top i think labour could be around £700-800.

All in all great car great engine. I also love Honda's very good cars. :thumbs:

My wife has had one for a few years now. The only thing that's gone wrong in 45,000 miles is a stuck cigar lighter thing that was replaced under warranty, and a fuse box recall. It'll also carry 3 adults in back and all their luggage without much fuss, the Sat Nav is fab, and the dash is still spaced aged compared to most other cars.

The 2.2 CTDI engine is a good one, I think the torque figures are not far off the Zs!! Personally I probably wouldn't bother with a remap, the rest of the driving experience is just too bland, useless brake, no steering feel, understeers and rolls around corners. The most fun I've ever have driving it is trying to keep the MPG above 50 :lol: Still not a bad little car, but now that the wife has driven the Bimmer a few times she's demanding RWD for her next car :lol:

My wife has had one for a few years now. The only thing that's gone wrong in 45,000 miles is a stuck cigar lighter thing that was replaced under warranty, and a fuse box recall. It'll also carry 3 adults in back and all their luggage without much fuss, the Sat Nav is fab, and the dash is still spaced aged compared to most other cars.

The 2.2 CTDI engine is a good one, I think the torque figures are not far off the Zs!! Personally I probably wouldn't bother with a remap, the rest of the driving experience is just too bland, useless brake, no steering feel, understeers and rolls around corners. The most fun I've ever have driving it is trying to keep the MPG above 50 :lol: Still not a bad little car, but now that the wife has driven the Bimmer a few times she's demanding RWD for her next car :lol:

are you selling yours? :)

Had a 2.2diesel sport for 2 years,replaced front discs and pads at 18K miles,front tyres at 14k miles,averaged 44mpg knocking about but 52ish on long runs.Nice to drive especially when turbo cuts in but thought ride was hard but mine was on optional 18inch alloys with 225/40/18's on.You would be better to stick with standard 17's for comfort.Only complaint i had was exspensive servicing and crap dealer,tho they lost the Honda franchise not long after.

I think the clutch issue was more when they first came out, their were reports of people going through 2 clutches within the first 18 months, mine is fine and takes a lot of abuse really lol I wouldn't worry to much just be aware. check history when looking at the car. and accelerate hard up hill if you can on test drive see if it slips a little bit which will indicate signs of clutch is going.

Wife had one and loved it.

It's a sod to reverse and a bland drive, till you give it cane, then it's so so.

Idle the turbo after use and change the oil more than Honda say. The wife blew the turbo on hers because she did not. (I only told her about 50+times to do that though :shrug: )

£1700 for a second hand unit then "£$%^ to fit . So she traded it in, they dropped the trade in by £1000 so a ++ for her.

Only way I could think of testing is by trying to accelerate realy hard at about 2/2200 revs. and see it takes off, hers didn't and sounded rather rattly. :lol:

£1700 for a second hand unit then "£$%^ to fit . So she traded it in, they dropped the trade in by £1000 so a ++ for her.

Only way I could think of testing is by trying to accelerate realy hard at about 2/2200 revs. and see it takes off, hers didn't and sounded rather rattly. :lol:

fook me! thats a bill i could do without

Great cars, I had one before the Z as I was doing alot of mileage; as has been said if you are getting an early one make sure the clutch has been done. Honda are absolute @rse bags about honouring the fact they really screwed up with the clutch and flywheel in the early cars.

I had mine for 12 months, problem free, did need a new shock at 50k and I changed the clutch before I swapped cars with Rory as it slipped slightly on me a couple of times and I was not selling a car dishonestly. They don't feel as well built as the Z, thats my only observation going from one to the other. The plus side is, on the motorway, set at 75mph you can expect just shy of 60mpg (on the trip meter) - in reality, probably about 55.

Regarding chipping, if you do go down that route, you will need the full kevlar clutch or paddle clutch, have a look on Civinfo, plenty of good stuff there especially around the clutches and tuning. Look for 'relic'

Same here. I traded mine in for the 370. Handling a bit soul'less If I'm honest, rear vis is better in a transit van, ride was a tad firm, very common on the road, and liked a drink of oil. That said, excellent load space, very frugal (even with a heavy foot, I didnt go below 45mpg, and on the motorway wasn't a kick in the ass of 60). I had the EX spec, and it had loads of toys and felt more roomy with the glass roof, and in the 18 months I had it, it didn't put a foot wrong!

I spend alot of time cleaning and detailing the Zed, and that poor thing was lucky if it got put through an automatic washer. I just wasn't feeling it! :blink: