Tablet or Laptop?

tmJak

I'm thinking of what to buy my girlfriend for christmas, and, being a bloke, I'm looking to buy her something that I can't justify to buy for myself, but if I buy it for her and use it then it's ok. Andrea has taken to using my laptop for eBay, and using my account. She also spends her time looking at wedding dresses, venues and favours. We're not engaged, and something tells me she's trying to give me signs... :shrug:

My options are between a tablet thingy (ideally not apple) or a small laptop/netbook like this here.

I don't need to have 3G, wifi will be fine. I need it to be able to use Microsoft word or equivalent, go onto eBay, be relatively easy to use the keyboard for typing and to be able to access http://www.skillsfile.org. I do some work on building sites, and can't be carrying a large laptop around. The battery needs to actually last for about 6 hours. I also don't mind buying second hand as long as it's in good condition. Budget is around £200-£250, but that's flexible.

Anyone got any advise, experience or ideas?

I would get a proper laptop, not a netbook. I have found that everyone i have come across with a netbook thinks they are great to start with and then the moaning starts..... the screen is too small, its slow....blah blah...

If you just want if for web ONLY.... thats fine, but as soon as you start to install the odd program it will really start chugging. I would look for something like this http://www.ebuyer.com/285944-fujitsu-ah531-laptop-vfy-ah531mrsc2gb

I know its a little over your budget..... but as crimbo approaches you might find a bargain or two :thumbs:

Laptop would be what I would go for. Also try to avoid getting the most powerful laptop on show and insted get something light/thin. I normally go for 13-15" screens and then go as light and thin as possible for budget. She doesnt need a desktop replacement, so will appreciate having something light on her lap when browsing rather than 7KG monster than can play the latest games.

As pointed out before, tablets are great, but not for your purposes. If you want to do any kind of web design, you will need a laptop. From having owned a range of different things, netbooks are a waste of money and space. They do not last at all and become frustratingly slow quickly. Get yourself a laptop and think carefully about the specs - you won't need a dedicated graphics card or a high end multi-core processor for your needs, so save money on that and get yourself a decent size screen and a good chipset so that your laptop won't slow down to a grind.

This would be a great bet: http://www.ebuyer.com/279398-asus-k53u- ... 53u-sx072v . Asus motherboard & chipset at that price will serve you very well.

Edit: These have gone out of stock since I put this link up! Can find other K53 variants around at very decent prices.