d.o.s attack on this server :(

neo

Hi All,

The email server is being attacked via d.o.s (denial of service) attack hence it's slowing the entire server down :(

the problem is being looked at, in the mean time please be patient :)

Cheers

Lyndon

Guest prescience

The recent topics link seems to be broken?

As far as the speed issue goes, if you go via a Proxy server the response is very fast (i.e. normal) and if not via Proxy, goes like a crawl. Not sure whether that information helps, except that the atack would seem perhaps to be UK-based?

Cant answer that atthe moment Im afraid, the server owner is on the case, but unfortunately until the attack stops, or can be blocked effectively there is no timescale yet.

At least its still up during the attack though.

There are a few glitches after the server rebuild (recent topics error due to SQL version and the gallery), these also require fixing.

FTP access has been suspended/blocked in order to prevent further attacks. However blocking ftp does mean that I have to suspend my work on fixing the remaining issues though.

The gallery should be a very quick fix, we had to recreate the database users on the new hardware, I need to alter one of the gallery config files to reflect the SQL users.

The recent topics error is slightly more complex as the query was written for a lower version of SQL than is now present on the server, so the recent topics query nees to be rewritten for a newer version of SQL.

Hopefully everything will be fixed shortly, once everything is back to normal we can complete some of the extra bits that need to be done, and we can also look forward to bringing you all our little birthday present... I kno its overdue, but it will be worth it. Honest.

Guest prescience

Presumably the route taken to the hosts machine is completely different until it reaches the host machine. Thus it must be a blockage on one of the intervening hops?

Guest prescience

No unfortunately not, unless you have an alternative to dnsStuff.com, it does the trace all right and reports 9 hops but doesn't list them - which is a function of the proxy I think. The proxy restricts certain things (e.g playing youtube videos directly, smileys in posts etc )

Its getting better, but not back to normal yet, there are still some dropouts of traffic specificaly on the cogentco backbone. Looks like its the route inside the states thats causing the errors at the moment.

Hopefully this will be resolved soon, but it looks as though the problem is no longer at the hosts end.

I keep getting this sh*ite when I click on "Recent Topics". Any idea how to get rid?

could not obtain main information.

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 't.topic_first_post_id' in 'on clause'

SELECT t.*, p.poster_id, p.post_username AS last_poster_name, p.post_id, p.post_time, f.forum_name, f.forum_id, u.username AS last_poster, u.user_id AS last_poster_id, u2.username AS first_poster, u2.user_id AS first_poster_id, p2.post_username AS first_poster_name FROM phpbb_topics t, phpbb_posts p LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_posts p2 ON p2.post_id = t.topic_first_post_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_forums f ON p.forum_id = f.forum_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_users u ON p.poster_id = u.user_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_users u2 ON u2.user_id = t.topic_poster WHERE t.forum_id NOT IN (14,42,43,44,55) AND p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND FROM_UNIXTIME(p.post_time,'%Y%m%d') - FROM_UNIXTIME(unix_timestamp(NOW()),'%Y%m%d') = 0 ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC LIMIT 0, 10

Line : 135

File : recent.php

I keep getting this sh*ite when I click on "Recent Topics". Any idea how to get rid?

DEBUG MODE

SELECT t.*, p.poster_id, p.post_username AS last_poster_name, p.post_id, p.post_time, f.forum_name, f.forum_id, u.username AS last_poster, u.user_id AS last_poster_id, u2.username AS first_poster, u2.user_id AS first_poster_id, p2.post_username AS first_poster_name FROM phpbb_topics t, phpbb_posts p LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_posts p2 ON p2.post_id = t.topic_first_post_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_forums f ON p.forum_id = f.forum_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_users u ON p.poster_id = u.user_id LEFT OUTER JOIN phpbb_users u2 ON u2.user_id = t.topic_poster WHERE t.forum_id NOT IN (14,42,43,44,55) AND p.post_id = t.topic_last_post_id AND FROM_UNIXTIME(p.post_time,'%Y%m%d') - FROM_UNIXTIME(unix_timestamp(NOW()),'%Y%m%d') = 0 ORDER BY t.topic_last_post_id DESC LIMIT 0, 10

It means STOP POSTING BORING @*!# :p

DEBUG MODE

It means STOP POSTING BORING @*!# :p

The words "pot and kettle" come to mind :boxing: