Tech help: Audi TT

sasha@lazytrips

Car went to the garage for the day, they looked at everything - joints, brakes, yada yada & can't find anything. This is so unbelievably frustrating as we need the car sorted by the weekend after next for a long trip :(

Might have to resort to taking it to the local Audi for a day and let them poke around it.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's an update:

It's been to an Audi shop for an entire week and they are none the wiser. They took off the non-standard wheels, put on standard wheels and say that "90%-95%" of the problem has gone away. They then put on the wheels from our Audi onto one of their cars and it was also vibrating at speed, so I guess it's got to be the wheels. Trouble is that their proposed solution was to replace all 4 corners at around £2,500 which I obviously won't be doing.

A couple of questions:

1. The non-standard wheels have slightly larger hub holes and have plastic bits on the inside. Could a faulty one of these cause the car to shake at speed?

2. The tyres and wheels have been looked at a lot and no defects have been spotted. The tyres themselves are budget ones, but have a lot of tread. Should I splash out and buy a set of tyres and see if that fixes it?

Basically I am at a loss as I don't have the cash to just go and replace all 4 wheels, especially at the quoted prices, but need to fix the car. The Audi has been from post to pillar and nobody seems to have a clue. I have seriously lost faith in mechanics. What would you guys do if you were me?

You could get a set of standard wheels used with tyres for much less than that from a scrap yard or eBay, I've done a quick search and came across Item #:110770851015

or Item #:250910918131

I know nothing about wheels for the TT but would either of them be suitable?

Plenty of set of wheels with tyres if you have a search.

Do the tyres, and get something decent this time :thumbs:

If it still doesn't solve it, then it's the wheels themselves and at least you'll have a decent set of tyres you can then sell on to recoup the cost if you want to put the crappy tyres back on. The other option would be to source some wheels from eBay, but then you're back on unknown quantities but will be half the price for a set of wheels.

Thanks for the replies & pm's. Gonna try to swap the spigot rings first and if that don't fix it, will think about wheels/tyres. Don't know what the issue is with main dealers which means they can't actually think for themselves.

Was actually going to weight in with this - I had a spigot ring that had become unseated or something, and kinda welded itself to the wheel. When I put the wheel onto something else there was a noticable wobble to it, checked and the ring had actually slipped onto the mounting face.

New spigot rings might be worth considering ........ :shrug:

If they are after market wheels then id assume they are more expensive than original audi ones. So if it will resolve the issue id be tempted to buy a set of stock wheels off ebay, and sell yours off. You`ll probably end up making a profit on the deal and resolving the vibrating issue.

If they are after market wheels then id assume they are more expensive than original audi ones. So if it will resolve the issue id be tempted to buy a set of stock wheels off ebay, and sell yours off. You`ll probably end up making a profit on the deal and resolving the vibrating issue.

The standard Audi wheels are £1,800 without tyres. Isch don't think so. :) Plus they look horrid too. Gonna try & get the spigot rings swapped first. Will measure them and order the right ones from CS.

The standard Audi wheels are £1,800 without tyres. Isch don't think so. :) Plus they look horrid too. Gonna try & get the spigot rings swapped first. Will measure them and order the right ones from CS.

£1800 second hand on ebay?! wow! they arent cheap then! Sounds like the Spigot rings are definately worth a go then.

Have they tried balancing the wheels ON the car? Not very common these days, but it allows everything that turns when you are moving, to turn in the garage. That way you may be able to rule out two or three corners. If you narrow it down to one corner, swap wheels, and it may tell you whether it's hub/brake related rather than one or more wheels. It could keep the costs down if you can narrow it down to a single corner. Best of luck.