ECU Re-map Golf

captint

Ok, so a mate of mine has a Golf 1.8T Anniversary and he wants to get it remapped, in my distant past I had one of these and had it remapped by a company called AMD, who are bloody good at what they do and do a proper remap and rolling road tune. He has found someome called Revotecnik who will do a software download for a free trial and the if you like it will charge £399 for a full download, whole process takes 10 mins whereas AMD take 3 hours. AMD is £550, so the question is, is the Revo one any good or just a bodge, any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated as I don't want him to screw his motor up

REVO are very good. Had their software on my Cupra and its superb. Highly recommended :teeth:

Took my Cupra from 180bhp to 210Bhp.

If they get the SPS switch that costs an extra £200ish (i think) then they can adjust the timings & switch the map on/off when the car goes into the garage.

Not tried any others but I believe custom Code is pretty good.

Id also recommend a Front Mount Intercooler if its getting mapped :thumbs:

What you need to do with remaps is consider HOW you want the power delivered...lots of low down for racing off the lights, more top end, or just a general improvement all around the rev range.

A lot of people opt for revo as its the most well known and is pretty much a traffic light grand prix solution.

My friend has his Cupra R done one by a company called custom-code which (despite its name) is just a generic remap (not tuned on a rolling road) which pretty much feels like the standard power profile, just more of it.

He is running (allegedly) 270-275bhp (at fly) and 270lb/ft torque, but tuners always over estimate, I'd say its more like 265bhp and 260 lb/ft.

REVO is a very aggressive map. Once it comes on boost its unbelievably quick :teeth:

But Revo is adjustable yourself so you can change the boost settings to be a bit less aggressive.

I think mine was set at 1 Bar and set up for Optimax, but obviously can be adjusted, not sure if Custom-Code do this - Ill try and find out about the CC Map

Also consider why the AMD one takes much longer. Maybe they do rolling road tests? I d rather put my money at a tuner where they do a dynorun before and after so you can at least see if everything is ok.
AMD do do a rolling road session after the install and have an excellent overall reputation. :thumbs:

Cheers

What I'm trying to gauge is whether there is a downside to the Revo, I have used AMD on a Golf and my old M3, I know they have proper software engineers who do the remap on a rolling road, my concern is someone Jonny come lightly just downloading new settings for an ECU, sounds a bit cowboy to me