Just got new set of Falkens

rabbitstew

When I got my car the tyres were getting low, but ive still managed to squeeze another 10k miles out of them.

Id been dreading getting new tyres as I treat my car like a baby and dont let anyone touch or work on it as from previous bad experiences with other cars, I just dont trust anyone! So, the thought of letting some YTS lad jack the car up and fit new tyres, scratching my newly refurbished mint alloys was not good.

After giving the car a service and the once over I noticed that I couldnt put the tyre change off any more. The backs were down the warning indicator mouldings, and both the front where nearly smooth on the insides - which explained the cars recent tendancy to tramline a lot on very badly surfaced roads.

Thought id stick with the falken 452`s as they seemed to be good value and offered reasonable grip.

Shop around. Mytyres were coming in at 585ish fitted or £520 supply only, Blackcircles were doing them for 565ish fitted. So I thought id try a couple of local garages too. First garage... my god the guy was a miserable so and so. First he moaned at me for where id parked. Secondly he then moaned at me for using Falkens and said I should be using Kumho. I soon found out why as he had massive posters advertising Kumho in his shop. He came in at £600.

Next I called into Wellingborough Tyres, just down the road from me. And, they quoted me £510. I had to ask them to double check that they were the right ones at that price and they were. They got them in within about 4hours and fitted them no problem. I even had 3 guys working on my car at once getting them fitted.

Very impressed with their level of service and they really did take great care over the fitting.

Car handles miles better now. The tramlining has vanished. I reckon I should be able to get 20k at least out of these which should take me up until next summer.

Absolutely, especially when spending the best part of £600.

I do love the difference in service during tyre changes with the Zed from my previous cars though. Used to be I'd get one middle aged bloke with a rolly hanging from the corner of his mouth.

Now it's like an F1 pit crew, I actually had 5 of them round the car last time, one for each wheel and another 'supervising' (ie chatting to me). :#1:

Just shows what can be saved if time is taken to shop around :thumbs:

Definitely. I was really surprised how cheap the local place was. Esp compared to the online places. Normally with my other cars, for years, ive been buying from mytyres and getting a local place to fit them. Used to cost me £5 per wheel to get them fitted.

When I got a price from Mr Grumpy at my local garage he said "yeah that would be £20 fitting per tyre if you want to supply your own tyres". I really thought he was having a laugh, as the last tyres I bought for my golf only cost me £15 each brand new fully fitted for goodyears! But then ive noticed a not many garages are happy fitting tyres you supply any more. I guess they dont make as much cash out of it.

Glad you found a good place and price.

I'm just up the road at Kettering so another option for me thanks.

Did they manage to keep your alloys damage free?

Yeah they arnt far from you either mate. I was watching them like a hawk and they didnt damage the alloys. Theres one very small bit (size of a finger nail) where it looks like paint has flaked off edge of the rim slightly on one of them, but I suspect that was more to do with the guy who refurbished them rather than the fitters. They even kept double checking the jack handles and bits as they walked around the car to make sure they werent going to hit the bodywork.

They certainly loved the zed, and really were careful - didnt even use the windy gun on it in case they damaged the wheels.

I`ll have to keep an eye out for you, as your not far away from me.

I managed to get my tyre's balanced and fitted for £10 a corner. Tyre's 1 year ago (452's) topped out at £400 for the 4. So that was £440 all in.

I'll see if I can get to that price again fairly soon as they need to be changed soon. But then I'm doubting the 452's to maybe upgrade. (chat with Ekona required :thumbs: )

I stick with my local Camskill. For my winter tyres on the punto they even give me a discount because the wheels weren't attached to a car.

As for the zed, I'm definitely exchanging fun and grip for longevity if you're reckoning 20k from a set of tyres. I've done 19k miles from new and halfway through my second set of rears.

Glad someone has now suggested camskill. They are ALWAYS cheaper for summer tyres and the service is fantastic, I've ordered at least 6 sets of tyres from them, I shop around every single time but they are always significantly cheaper.

Glad someone has now suggested camskill. They are ALWAYS cheaper for summer tyres and the service is fantastic, I've ordered at least 6 sets of tyres from them, I shop around every single time but they are always significantly cheaper.

They were my first potential source given previous reports but each time I checked they did not have the sizes I needed for the 370 in stock - so they lost out to mytyres who had then in stock. I couldn't fault mytyres in the order/delivery process and when you are spending near on £800 and they are just a few quid dearer than Camskills.......... :shrug:

Previous camskill service for me was amazing. Ordered lunch time received 9am the next day, I recall it being so early as I had them delivered at work and the post room said they couldn't hold on to them for too long as my 4 tyre's were in the way :lol: