obvious signs for damaged wheel bearings

Krissg

Either way, you should always change both. :thumbs:

Jack up the car and see if you can wobble the wheel, hands at 12 and 6 O'clock and at 3 and 9 O'clock. You should be able to see if one wheel wobbles more than the other.

But, change both...... :thumbs:

:pmzmanalex: for prices... :thumbs:

Why should you always replace both?

How much value do you put on your life :shrug:

you can rest assured, if one is going, the other won't be far behind, and the tolerances will be better, its similar to changing one tyre.

I simply don't agree with you on this. If the other bearing is not showing any signs of wear then you are just wasting money. It may be good for a day, month, year or more. Why spend the money now if it could last for months or years? You could apply the same reasoning to CV joints, tie rod ends, shock absorbers, springs etc. Either the garages I've used in the past are total cowboys or your advice is over cautious.

With respect to changing just one tyre I see no problem providing it's the same make/type. More often than not though the tyre is no longer available. Providing the other tyre is sound what's the problem?

Why should you always replace both?

How much value do you put on your life :shrug:

you can rest assured, if one is going, the other won't be far behind, and the tolerances will be better, its similar to changing one tyre.

I simply don't agree with you on this. If the other bearing is not showing any signs of wear then you are just wasting money. It may be good for a day, month, year or more. Why spend the money now if it could last for months or years? You could apply the same reasoning to CV joints, tie rod ends, shock absorbers, springs etc. Either the garages I've used in the past are total cowboys or your advice is over cautious.

+1

I have always replaced both sides as a matter of course, but I am not suggesting that everyone does what I say, The OP asked for advice, I gave him my advice, Thats me, belt and braces.

My advice is free, if people don't want to take advice from me or you the sobeit.

With tyres, I was referring to certain cars that don't like having one tyre replaced, yes, I agree, not every car but some.

I don't see that a bearing of such small value is a waste of money, you would have peace of mind, and lets say, you only change one, and the noise is still there, what are you going to do? Eh, replace the other one. If the noise is gone problem solved, if the noise remains, well, something else is at fault.

Not everyone is adept in diagnosing problems/faults, we all have our own method of doing things, what I have posted is my method.

Paragraph near the bottom of the page.

http://mibearings.com/

Zug is just giving as he says a 'belt and braces' approach answer to the OP :shrug:

Each to their own - some people, even the experts struggle to identify which bearing is on its way out - you can do road tests and impose load on each side and still not get where the noise is coming from.

If you can clearly identify which one it is - most folks would just do the one :thumbs:

Surely if you replace the one bearing & the noise is still there and then you replace the other and the noise goes away - You replaced the wrong bearing in the first place ;)

correct, but as i said, some peeps are not able to identify correctly which bearing may be breaking down, as the OP has asked, i would assume that he is unsure how or what to check for. no disrespect. :thumbs:

If you are that way inclined, IE, hands on with 30 years experience in mechanical engineering, it's a simple diagnosis and cheap fix, however if you aren't that way inclined, where would you start, you would ask a question as the OP has done and wait for replies or more experienced people, thats how we learn. :shrug:

It was quite strange, as when this question was posted, I was actually watching a motor program with Ed China, who was changing a wheel bearing on a dodge Charger, even he suggested that both should be changed together.

If you had a pair of bearings that had done say for arguments sake, 60k miles, and one had started to fail, would you question yourself if you should change both?

It's such a simple quick job. IMO, if your doing one, just do both. Stress loading on the bearings would have been quite large and if one is failing, this would naturally put added stress on the other bearing.

With out a bearing vibration pen, you can only feel and listen for a bearing breaking down, this comes with experience.

We each have our opinions, and this is mine, no offence meant to anyone, and I am always open to differing ways of doing things.

I would change both, no question, no recourse to do the other at a later date.

We may have to agree too disagree on this :blush:

Thanks Vik.... :thumbs: