Odd clutch issue when stuck in traffic on M'way

Chuck21

Driving to Brighton yesterday and had a weird problem when stuck on the M25; it was a hot day (about 27 degrees) and we'd been stopped or crawling for about 45mins; pressed the clutch to move off and noticed about 2 inches of slack at the top of the travel which increased to nearer 5-6 inches so almost all of the resistance up to the biting point had gone. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and tested it a few times but it was still biting so I went back onto the motorway; the problem remained but the clutch still worked. Once the traffic started moving the problem vanished....

All I can think of is that the clutch fluid had got so hot that it's consistency changed but I'm no mechanic and havn't heard of this before; sure, 45 mins is a fair while and 27 degrees is hot but would this be 'normal' ?

Drove the car today and touch wood it all seems fine.

Any ideas would be welcome !

Cheers

Charlie

Driving to Brighton yesterday and had a weird problem when stuck on the M25; it was a hot day (about 27 degrees) and we'd been stopped or crawling for about 45mins; pressed the clutch to move off and noticed about 2 inches of slack at the top of the travel which increased to nearer 5-6 inches so almost all of the resistance up to the biting point had gone. I pulled over onto the hard shoulder and tested it a few times but it was still biting so I went back onto the motorway; the problem remained but the clutch still worked. Once the traffic started moving the problem vanished....

All I can think of is that the clutch fluid had got so hot that it's consistency changed but I'm no mechanic and havn't heard of this before; sure, 45 mins is a fair while and 27 degrees is hot but would this be 'normal' ?

Drove the car today and touch wood it all seems fine.

Any ideas would be welcome !

Cheers

Charlie

I had exactly the same problem. Got a slave and braided hose from Zmanalex and problem solved. :thumbs: My independent said 9 times out of 10, it's the slave, and happily in my case, it was.

I've had exactly the same thing and was told the clutch line runs close to something and gets overheated if you get stuck in traffic

Mine was fixed by wrapping the clutch line in heat reflective stuff - but you will also need to change the fluid as if it's overheated once then it is degraded

I chickened out of doing it myself and it was fixed by Abbey when they had her up on the ramp for something else - it took them about an hour

So, you MAY not need new cylinders, but you do need to get it fixed or it will happen again (and next time it takes less time to cook the fluid so it happens sooner)

Common fault Charlie,

Clutch fluid, braided line and slave cyls, all in stock and good to go same/next day :thumbs:

Alex. :)

Cheers Alex - to the rescue again !

Please could you PM me prices for the braided line and slave; I'm useless with a spanner so will get my local garage to fit so won't need the fluid.

Every time I get close to buying the wheel spacers another cost comes up !

Cheers

Charles

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

First go at this - so here goes.

I've had pretty much the same problem on a a '06 (but 276bhp) thats done 34k. Car is due service etc next month - do you think I could get this fault done under warranty ( extended Nissan warranty) or am I going to be PM'ing zman in the near future like most other people? ;)