First track day done - brake advice needed!

CarrotCakeIsYum

I did my first track day yesterday and have well and truly got the bug! It was a novice day with club MSV at Bedford Autodrome - absolutely fantastic and good to put the z through its paces. I'm slightly lacking skills as a driver though; I span off a fair distance so was very glad I wasn't at Brands or Castle Combe which I've heard aren't as forgiving...

I also had a brown pants moment when the brake pedal went to the floor without any response. With that in mind I need to change the fluid and pads (I'd like to keep the callipers and discs as standard for now), does anyone have any recommendations of what to get and where to get from? I'm also thinking of changing to braided lines, again any recommendations?

FYI I don't really go in for fast road driving (sitting in a queue on the commute to work is exciting as it gets for me) and plan on doing 4 to 5 trackdays a year. A pal has said Ferodo pads are good put I'm unsure to trust something named after a hobbit?

If your pedal went to the floor - you must've been out there a wee bit too long and not cooled down properly inbetween sessions.

As a minimum you'll need to change your fluid out and probably pads. If things got that hot you'd better hope you haven't warped your discs. if you're going braided lines - most gor for HEL or Goodridge - though if you're planning on tracking more your pockets had better be deep :lol:

Plenty pads and discs here http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=157&start=0 :pmzmanalex:

• 1 month later...

I changed my brake lines and got some better fluid before my first track day, so glad i did! :) would have crapped myself to have the brake pedal hit the floor :scare:

did eat my pads on the day, just waiting for some new ones to arrive, sick of waiting for them to be delivered can't drive the 350 :angry:

Have any of you guys tried Pagid RS14's? I had them on my VX220 that was used on track frequently and they were stunning, just took a bit to get some heat into them, i.e. brown pants coming off a motorway slip road and needing to brake, but you learn and brake earlier to get some heat.

Im currently using Mintex 1144's but i heard the the 1155's should be a good compromise between a road pad and a car being used on track every so often.

Sorry to chime in, as i assume there is the usual stuff people have tried for Zeds just offering a point of view from another area, as in the VX community no one uses EBC pads unsure of the reason but its sort of taboo. So i guess it may be the same for other stuff here. :)

Some of our members swear by EBC - some of us think they're false economy :shrug:

A lot of us go for Ferrodo DS2500 as a multi-purpose... don't need to be particulalry hot to get excellent stopping power from them and do well on track without being too rough on discs or particularly dusty.

Think Mr T was running Pagids on the R35 recently - but then they were the 29's IIRC - but with the weight of the R35 on track they certainly had no problem heating up very 'rapid like' :lol:

Have any of you guys tried Pagid RS14's? I had them on my VX220 that was used on track frequently and they were stunning, just took a bit to get some heat into them, i.e. brown pants coming off a motorway slip road and needing to brake, but you learn and brake earlier to get some heat.

Im currently using Mintex 1144's but i heard the the 1155's should be a good compromise between a road pad and a car being used on track every so often.

Sorry to chime in, as i assume there is the usual stuff people have tried for Zeds just offering a point of view from another area, as in the VX community no one uses EBC pads unsure of the reason but its sort of taboo. So i guess it may be the same for other stuff here. :)

I ran the RS14s on my old VXR220 and loved them, I'd also previously ran the 1144 on the car too but found them to be only mildly better than the OEM pads, and certainly not worth the halo praise that the VX community tended to give them. The RS14s on the other hand were (as I'm sure you know) utterly amazing, and I would definitely give them a go on the Zed. :)

For a combination of track/fast road use the Performance Friction discs + pads were my favourite setup on my old 350, along with the Endless fluid and the ubiquitous Goodridge lines. Never saw any fade regardless of track or temperature, although I'm not a particularly heavy braker especially on track.