370z questions

Ecosseven

Hi folks,

Continuing to do some more research into a used 370Z as a daily driver. A few questions for you.

1. Are there any reliability concerns in thew short or long term? I’ve heard that the VQ engine family is generally reliable. Did the 350Z suffer from any issues that might crop up on the 370Z in the long term.

2. Any thoughts on how long the clutch should last under normal driving?

3. What can I realistically expect in terms on mpg assuming a mixture or town and motorway driving.

4. Are there any paintwork issues to be aware of? I have heard a lot of comments recently about the quality of BWM’s water based paint systems.

Thanks and all the best.

1. Nothing to be concerned about. Keeping an eye on the oil is the only thing you really need to watch. It doesnt really burn any, but that leads to you never checking it which is where most problems with VQ engines come in - oil starvation. Its the only real problem I've heard of with VQ engines. The one in my 350z when for 99k miles with no problems when I traded it in for the '70.

2. This is down to driving style but anywhere from 30k miles onwared. Mine on the 350z lasted til 72k miles. Have the 7AT on the 370z so no clutch for me, but I'd expect it to be the same as the 350z.

3. I do a mix of driving and with some motorway I see ~28MPG. With more town driving that usually sits around 26/27MPG.

4. Nissan paint is fairly thin so chips easily. Other than that though, theres no real problems. Nissan still havent learnt to be able to match paint between panels, but its usually only obvious on camera. No different to most other manufacturers bar the Germans.

The only input I can offer is quite possibly the worse-case mpg figures. My car hardly ever sees a motorway so does a lot of around town driving BUT, my biggest problem, is the bypass that links my house to my office which is full of bloody roundabouts which must me the most inefficient driving there is for tyres/brakes/fuel. I get about 18mpg but drive it how I beleive it should be driven ;) .

+1 to the above.

I've done 15K miles nearly, mix of town and dual carriageway. 27MPG.

Still on the original tyres, reckon they rears will last to around the 20K mark. I do give it some welly but never light the tryes up.

On 11k, need new rears SOON! On the paintwork, the sills take a battering, near the rear, especially if it's raining heavily and there's a lot of grush on the road, just light marking, nothing too drastic.

If you get a mint one with no marks on the sills, I would reccommend a clear wrap. The front end takes a battering as well, especially if you, like me, can't keep back from the vehicles in front :lol:

No issues in just over a year of ownership, 6th can be a bit of a pain to get into if it's done at speed, takes subtlety, something I've not got :p

On 11k, need new rears SOON! On the paintwork, the sills take a battering, near the rear, especially if it's raining heavily and there's a lot of grush on the road, just light marking, nothing too drastic.

If you get a mint one with no marks on the sills, I would reccommend a clear wrap. The front end takes a battering as well, especially if you, like me, can't keep back from the vehicles in front :lol:

No issues in just over a year of ownership, 6th can be a bit of a pain to get into if it's done at speed, takes subtlety, something I've not got :p

Big +1 on your findings

13k miles on GUNS now, Ultrac Sesstanas going on next week then in for its P2 service and getting a price for respraying the sills not only to address the numerous stone chips but also to get a better paint match. The paint shop used by Motorline Nisssan at Tunbridge Wells is apparently familiar with the self-healing paint process. Once sprayed I will then get the sills done in clear wrap

Just a few chips on the front end - nothing as bad as I had with my previous 350 though.

Big +1 on your findings

13k miles on GUNS now, Ultrac Sesstanas going on next week then in for its P2 service and getting a price for respraying the sills not only to address the numerous stone chips but also to get a better paint match. The paint shop used by Motorline Nisssan at Tunbridge Wells is apparently familiar with the self-healing paint process. Once sprayed I will then get the sills done in clear wrap

Just a few chips on the front end - nothing as bad as I had with my previous 350 though.

I was just looking at Ultrac's tonight! £189 was the cheapest I could find. Apparantly, excellent in the wet and dry :thumbs:

Erm, I can't beleive you guys are getting nearly 30mpg :scare: .

Hmm, not often, I'm averaging 22 at the mo in all conditions B)

Living down south I have to venture quite far to get to good roads. That involves a lot of motorway, which balances out the hooning when I get there. As an example, when I did the Hoon last I got an average of 31MPG over the whole 2k miles I covered. Anyone who has done the Hoon will attest to the fact that on the actual drive you dont hang about.

I find the best way to get good MPG in the Zed is keeping momentum going. Stop/start and being on and off the throttle is what kills MPG. If you learn to keep a good speed through corners and keep momentum in traffic it makes a massive difference to MPG. Also keeping revs low in traffic helps. I tend to drive it like a DERV in traffic, no need to go over 3k RPM really. Save the fuel for the fun stuff :drive1

Erm, I can't beleive you guys are getting nearly 30mpg :scare: .

Hmm, not often, I'm averaging 22 at the mo in all conditions B)

Saw 31.6 mpg at the usual motorway speeds on the way up to Scotland then below 9mpg on Knockhill :lol:

Usual average mpg around home area is 20mpg if I'm lucky - damn that syncro-rev :D:lol::lol: