Whine from gearbox, dealer says its alright?

Dom187

I have brought a 350z HR from a Nissan dealer, I have taken it back to them to have a look at under warranty. The reason being that the car has a whine coming from the gear box, the only way I can describe it is that it sounds like a small super charger (Which I know I don't have!!!). The pitch changes with the cars RPM and it the noise stops when I press and hold the clutch in then rev the car. I dont have to rev the car hard to get the noise it can be heard at 2k RPM. As I have said this is a HR, before this I had a DE 280bhp and it never made this noise.

The reason I am posting up on here is they have come back and said to me that there is nothing wrong, in my limited experience this sounds like a bearing is on the way out? (The car has done 22k miles) Am I being paranoid? If not, any ideas which bearing is on the way out?

Hi mate, i had a similar problem to yours, only mine made a slight grinding noise aswell. From what i understand the "whining" noise is common and effects almost all the 350's. I was more concerned about the grinding noise. The best i could describe it was like two stone disks rubbing together. Anyway i took it back to the dealer (Westway Nissan) as it was only 2 weeks old and still under warrenty. I went in and told them i beleive my clutch release bearing is worn (armed with knowledge i got from this forum!! :D ) and the head Service guy come out, got in my car listened to the noise and agreeded with me.

I left it with them a few days later for a week, during which time they phoned me and said that it was the bearing, and that they would change it.

From what the guy told me it can be a ball ache for them because as its under warrenty, they have to get a head mechanic from nissan to come out inspect it, agree its broken and a warrenty issue before they can start work on it.

As people have said previously the Zed has quite a noisey transmisson and the whining sound is normal, although from what the mechanic told me its the slight grinding noise that indicates the bearing is on its way out.

Hope this helps!! Regards, Lionel.

Oops I aprear to have deletet the begining of my post while copying it into word for spell checking :blush: now fixed

Bought car 7500 miles 08 plate 2 years ago.

Took it for service at 10000.

I mentioned the whine.

The dealer said they thought there was a problem and would have to strip the gearbox to investigate.

I was not happy but said ok as it was under warrantee.

He then asked me to sign an authorisation.

I said "but its under warrantee"

He then explained that if they stripped the gearbox and found nothing wrong I would have to pay for the investigation and labour.... :surrender:

I decided just have the service and have a think.

Received phone call to be told I needed a new rear wheel bearing but would not be charged for investigation as my wheel was about to fall off. :scare: Can have it ready tomorrow.

Anyway at its next service took it to another dealer an pointed out the gearbox noise. This chap seamed much more knowledgeable and interested said "Nothing wrong with it, perfectly normal. We have had a few owner over the years come in with this and if the owner has insisted we investigate we have found nothing wrong"

Now......

I think it must be normal because the car now has 40000 miles on it and it has not changed or gotten any worse.

Surely if the dealer agrees there may be a fault how could I possible end up out of pocket on a car still under warrantee?

Anybody clued up on the Nissan warrantee agreement as this loophole may prevent me buying another.

Thanks for the replies folks, I have taken the car back they say nothing is wrong with it. To be fair they did fix my other little niggles with the car so I will just have to see how I go. I am going to adjust the clutch tomorrow as the bite is quite high and the clutch pedal sits higher than the brake so I want to level them out.