Latest sat nav that I can fit into my cubby hole?

HassanZ

Hi all,

I am planning on purchasing a sat nav and wanted it to be the right size for the cubby hole in the Zed. I need it to fit as close to perfectly as possible so it's nice and secure in that little indented section inside the cubby (also would look as close to OEM as possible). I know a few people on here have already done something similar to this and would like some input if possible.

I plan on getting hold of some velcro with strong adhesive which I can stick to the back of the sat nav and the inside of the cubby hole so it's nice and secure. With regards to the wire, I'll have that plugged in to the sat nav permanently, but the wire and plug will be tucked away inside the cubby when not in use, I will pull the wire out and plug it into the lighter socket when I need to use it. Depending on how difficult it is to wire it up permanently, I may consider this option in the future.

I appreciate all of your input guys. :thumbs:

Many thanks,

Hassan

Its not going to look OEM, as the OEM unit has a panel below with a load of buttons on it.

As for size wise, why not go to Halfrauds, and ask if you can try a few different models and see which one fits best.

All that said, I would just pay the extra and get a fully fitted unit from Nurrish (member trader)

Its not going to look OEM, as the OEM unit has a panel below with a load of buttons on it.

As for size wise, why not go to Halfrauds, and ask if you can try a few different models and see which one fits best.

All that said, I would just pay the extra and get a fully fitted unit from Nurrish (member trader)

Thanks for your reply mate, how much does it cost to get it fitted by Nurrish and where is he based?

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=24395&hilit=nurrish+pc

But I just realised he's buggered off for a year, so you may have to look for an alternative.

Ah! HAHA! That's convenient :p Thanks for your help though! :thumbs:

I guess the best way is to get the measurement of the cubby hole and look for a sat nav that'll fit nice and tight inside there. I'm sure LRFAN has a sat nav inside his cubby?

Could always retro fit a OEM one in? Im really happy with mine, and have just updated it to the latest 2011 maps too. Only thing I miss with it is not having speed camera alerts.

The OEM would not meet my requirements as they don't have speed cameras and are really dated. I'd rather have a modern one that I can just slot inside the cubby and stick it in place using strong velcro. With the price I'll pay for an OEM one, I could get a top of the range live Tomtom.

But I just realised he's buggered off for a year, so you may have to look for an alternative.

I guess the best way is to get the measurement of the cubby hole and look for a sat nav that'll fit nice and tight inside there. I'm sure LRFAN has a sat nav inside his cubby?

Your memory serves u well. Iv got (had :byebye: ) a navman s70 in mine connected to the battery

31052009089.jpg

Looks better in the flesh. Jay said it was his favourite mod on my car

Your memory serves u well. Iv got (had :byebye: ) a navman s70 in mine connected to the battery

31052009089.jpg

Looks better in the flesh. Jay said it was his favourite mod on my car

Haha! first time my memory actually worked, I have a memory like a goldfish!! :lol:

That looks brilliant in my opinion, always wanted to do it since I seen yours. Probably the most cost effective method, even if its fitted permanently. What made you choose the garmin? Do you have measurements of the cubby by any chance?

How did you wire it up to the battery?

By the way glad to know you got a buyer after the other guy messed you around! I hope you got what you wanted, your car was very nice!!!

Why not get one of these from Cookbot?

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=47410&hilit=Cookbot+computer

Unfortunately those mode are out my budget...especially when i don't really sit in my car much, just when I'm driving. No need for something that fancy lol! A Sat nav would do me, it'll serve It's purpose whilst filling the gaping hole in my cubby in a cost-effective manner :-)

Just tried my TomTom XXL and it fits but has to be angled backwards slightly.............if that's any help.

Would post photos but my tech assistant (son) hasn't come in yet.

I would really appreciate it if you could please take a pic whenever you can so i know what you mean :thumbs: that's the Sat nav I was considering on purchasing...

Cookbot,

Will the torque app work on a jdm?

As of yet, I've been unable to get the gap cars to work with torque. There are ways to get jap cars OBD2 compliant, but have never done it.

Cookie

Got a link? Quite interested in how that can be done. Logically I'd imagine the OBD compliance relates to the ECU which is different on EU and JDM cars. Obviously a lot of OBD software can send both EODB and JODB messages if you have the right hardware hooked up to it, but would be interested to know how you can get an JODB car sending messages to an EODB software. Or does Torque support both and you just need the right adapter?

Hmm.. I've been looking for a Sat Nav as well and after seeing the fit of Navman S70, this has now gone straight to the top of my list, cheap now as well :yahoo:

As asked before, how do you connect it directly to the battery as I like the idea of it being hard wired. Did you drill a hole in the back of your cubby (my 56 plate one does not have any holes) and attach the wire behind the console? Unfortunately my electrical skills are non existent so I'm wondering if I should hand it over to an auto-electrician to sort out?