Popcharger vs RTcustom Air Induction Mod

Karlp

What are the major differences with a popcharger and the RTCustom air box mod, as much as I like the sound of the popcharger the 2-3 second delay before accelerating is a little annoying, does the air box mod still give a good deep sound when accelerating, also are the any power gains/losses with either?

Popcharger - gives a nice roar but drops some engine power (not convinced of this myself when out on the road, but on dyno it definately heat soaks) and perhaps some throttle response

Standard Airbox - no noise but gives better throttle response and gives a bit more engine power than stock

In simple terms.

Pop Charger

Good for sound

Not so good for heat soak

As a result "claims" of slight power losses

RTCustomz Airbox

Returns the sound to OEM (Although can't remember what that sounds like as it was some 2 years ago)

Great for heat soak, as the plastics take longer to get hot

As a result "very slight" increase in power

Me personally, if I lost 2bhp because of heat soak, I really can't be fussed. If I lost 10+ bhp then I'd be worried. If you want sound, go for the pop, if you want to retain oem response and no sound go for the RTcustoms box. It's all about how YOU want your car to sound.

I will never get rid of my ARC Air Induction, it looks the nuts, sounds the nuts and erm.... isn't made of nuts :lol:

In simple terms.

Pop Charger

Good for sound

Not so good for heat soak

As a result "claims" of slight power losses

RTCustomz Airbox

Returns the sound to OEM (Although can't remember what that sounds like as it was some 2 years ago)

Great for heat soak, as the plastics take longer to get hot

As a result "very slight" increase in power

Me personally, if I lost 2bhp because of heat soak, I really can't be fussed. If I lost 10+ bhp then I'd be worried. If you want sound, go for the pop, if you want to retain oem response and no sound go for the RTcustoms box. It's all about how YOU want your car to sound.

I will never get rid of my ARC Air Induction, it looks the nuts, sounds the nuts and erm.... isn't made of nuts :lol:

But the ARC is easily the best sounding intake for the Z :cloud9:

But the ARC is easily the best sounding intake for the Z :cloud9:

Agreed, it even sounds gorgeous in 4th gear pootling along say 40mph and then just plant the go pedal, it's like a growling monster being woken till it hits 3k rpm.... (I can hear it now :dance: ).

What are the major differences with a popcharger and the RTCustom air box mod, as much as I like the sound of the popcharger the 2-3 second delay before accelerating is a little annoying, does the air box mod still give a good deep sound when accelerating, also are the any power gains/losses with either?

2-3 second delay on accelerating? I have had my popcharger just over a month and have noticed no difference other than the improved growl!

2-3 second delay on accelerating? I have had my popcharger just over a month and have noticed no difference other than the improved growl!

Me too, it doesn't happen.

I have an auto and there is a slight delay in accelerating when sticking my foot right down?

The engine revs up then the power comes through?

Thats either the kick down or the torque convertor locking. Get a grounding kit makes a big difference to smoothness. :thumbs:

I have an auto and there is a slight delay in accelerating when sticking my foot right down?

The engine revs up then the power comes through?

Thats either the kick down or the torque convertor locking. Get a grounding kit makes a big difference to smoothness. :thumbs:

Probably the torque converter taking time to lock up ;)