Which Discs and pads, How to Change and Do I need

SteveJJH

multiple issues here, I'll be doing some searching, but I want to group all this together

I just did what is effectively my first car track day today in the Z (it was great), but I think I have messed my brakes. Near the end of the day, I noticed the brakes didn't feel quite right, so I had a look at the pads back at the pits, and they looked pretty worn out. There's a clip holding the pad on, that seemed to be very close to the disc, so I called an end to my day.

when I left the track to drive home I was getting some nasty scraping noises from the brakes, but I couldn't think of anything I could do other than get home trying to touch the brakes as little as possible

so this leaves me with 3 basic questions:

1. how do I check if i need new discs?

2. what's the best disc / pad combo (I realise this will be contentious, I'll do some searching on this)

3. is changing this stuff something I could do myself? Is it any different to any other car?

I guess some follow up questions would be have I damaged anything else? should I get new brake fluid?

1. Take the wheel off and have a look at how much pad is left if its down to a few few mm (or nothing) they need changing.

2. For track use , for road do you want an upgrade or standard replacment?

3. Easy - lik any other car if you know a spanner from a scewdriver you should be OK and there is a guide on here as well :thumbs:

Check your discs for scoring and a lip - if you have either I suggest you change them.

I'm pretty sure I'll be changing the pads, it's just I don't know whether to change the discs, how much 'lipping' is bad?

I need a disc/pad combo that will work on the road, but I intend on doing a couple of track days a year too. I'll go for an upgrade over standard stuff if it isn't stupidly more expensive

Run your finger nail up the disk if it has a noticable lip around the outside be worried - groves around th disk in the middle should not be there the whole disk should be smooth and clean no marks or bits stuck on it from th pads - if your hearing grinding it may be the pads down to metal or very close so check sooner rather than later.

I run PF front discs and DS2500 pads - but I'm having a small problem on track at the moment, for 1 or 2 days a year standard discs with better pads would do fine - Upgrades will do better :)

Everyone has ther own opinions on pads do a search, Change the discs if the need it otherwise just go for some better pads :thumbs:

O change the fluid anyway and get the right stuff it does make a difference IMO

Disclaimer : The above post is my own PERSONAL OPINION and DOES NOT REPRESENT the official position of any company or entity. It DOES NOT constitute mechanical advice.

1. how do I check if i need new discs?

2. what's the best disc / pad combo (I realise this will be contentious, I'll do some searching on this)

3. is changing this stuff something I could do myself? Is it any different to any other car?

(

1, you need to measure them mate and see if they're shot or not, if they're badly worn (uneven) you might want to swap em so you dont wear down the pads badly.

2, you need to decide how much tracking you'll be doing. for fast road use brembo discs or similar with EBC's will be good enough for a few fast shots (would not rate them for to much track use though, they're pretty abbresive on the discs too) I run a different setup now but can't comment until I get it out on track. The front pads are VERY good though (road use)

3, yeah if you're handy with tools there is no issues doing that yourelf.

Also if you go for sporty pads you might want to conisder squeeling and dust... you can't have it all :thumbs:

ok, thanks for the help guys, I've braved the rubbish weather and gone out and had a decent look. I will definitely need new front pads, and I'm pretty sure I need new front discs.

I was thinking about getting new discs, pads, fluid and lines on the front, is it ok to just do the front or will that give me other issues? looking at the back the pads are pretty worn out but the discs seem ok.

Is it time to go all in and get discs, pads, fluid and lines all round? This is starting to sound really pricey, but then I didn't buy a 350z thinking I was going to run it on a tight budget.

The noise of scraping from the brakes is an intentional design to give you warning of brake wear.

I have installed EBC Turbo Groove Disks and Ferodo DS2500 pads all round.

Now done about 7k miles on them and still going strong (although i dont often drive hard).

Not sure why you would need new lines tho'?

Got the lot delivered from CS and installed locally, all very reasonably priced.

Again don't go mad spending... but buy cheap buy twice depending on what you need it for. I'm going to try out ebc blue rear they didn't break the bank but I'm aware I might need to spend again :p I'd replace lines all four corners at the same time dude.

good braided lines will really improve the braking. Also have others have said better to spend on a good setup rather than going cheap and having to replace again. If you've been in contact with ZMANALEX then dba discs and ferodo pads will be a excellent starting point.

Cool! everything sorted thanks to ZMANALEX, DBA discs all round, Ferodo pads all round, HKS lines and Motul fluid. It's all fitted now, I've been taking it steady to bed in, so I can't really say anything about fade, but it seems like it's going to have good feel at the pedal. :teeth: