Protecting alloy wheels?

atchi123

Hi

My Zed has immaculate Rays on it but I am getting more and more paranoid about them getting damaged/degraded (my last car a Celica VVTI, had a kind of bubbling effect on the alloys after a while). Any tips on protection, maintenance, quick fixes for scuffs, etc?

Cheers

I couldn't bear putting those rubbish standard spokes on my baby...

buy some S/H rays then , theres loads for sale as people are swopping for other rims

....or don't drive the car in the Winter like Lomoto. :thumbs:

I'm not sure this was the type of advice he was after, Tim. ;):p

buy some S/H rays then , theres loads for sale as people are swopping for other rims

I know :blush: but I thought I'd throw my two penn'eth in, best advice if your going to run a car through winter ,is to clean the wheels every time you come home ,or else corrosion is more or less inevitable with all the salt that gets thrown down

I know :blush: but I thought I'd throw my two penn'eth in, best advice if your going to run a car through winter ,is to clean the wheels every time you come home ,or else corrosion is more or less inevitable with all the salt that gets thrown down

Can get too paranoid about this, mate. I've had alloys on all my cars over the last 17 years, never took them off or hid the car in winter, washed them every few weeks and never had a problem. Now, I admit I've not had polished lips etc. but we seem to be talking about OEM Rays here. I suspect that if you wash them once a week and don't drive into anything you should be OK, atchi. If not , raise merry hell with Nissan who supply them on UK cars! :thumbs:

Can get too paranoid about this, mate. I've had alloys on all my cars over the last 17 years, never took them off or hid the car in winter, washed them every few weeks and never had a problem. Now, I admit I've not had polished lips etc. but we seem to be talking about OEM Rays here. I suspect that if you wash them once a week and don't drive into anything you should be OK, atchi. If not , raise merry hell with Nissan who supply them on UK cars! :thumbs:

That's me "paranoid " to be fair though atchi123 sounds the same ,and by reading reports on hear it sounds as though the Rays aren't that durable at the best of times :headhurt: and all Nissan do; I believe is supply exchange rims, don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that Nissan would do this but , a set of exchange rims would never grace a car I was driving.. :scare: they may have been damaged etc, then spruced up :surrender: I'd sooner keep my rims nice and clean ,that I know the history ;than risk getting some dubious exchange items

That's me "paranoid " to be fair though atchi123 sounds the same ,and by reading reports on hear it sounds as though the Rays aren't that durable at the best of times :headhurt: and all Nissan do; I believe is supply exchange rims, don't get me wrong I'm not suggesting that Nissan would do this but , a set of exchange rims would never grace a car I was driving.. :scare: they may have been damaged etc, then spruced up :surrender: I'd sooner keep my rims nice and clean ,that I know the history ;than risk getting some dubious exchange items

Strange really these problems with Rays when they seem to be deified on this and other sites. Are we to believe they make their own better than the ones they make for Nissan? :dry:

PS Mine are going back as the offsets are wrong - Rays' fault not Envy I hasten to add.

Strange really these problems with Rays when they seem to be deified on this and other sites. Are we to believe they make their own better than the ones they make for Nissan? :dry:

PS Mine are going back as the offsets are wrong - Rays' fault not Envy I hasten to add.

Nissan will have paid them peanuts to do the wheels for them mate, imo they aren't even close to Rays' owned brands (Volks etc)

Nissan will have paid them peanuts to do the wheels for them mate, imo they aren't even close to Rays' owned brands (Volks etc)

I'd certainly hope so given what they charge. It's a bit stupid putting their name to them if they are going to produce sh1t quality items though. I'd never heard of them before got the Zed and it's clearly got me thinking....

I'm trying a different Jap make ths time round (God loves a trier) and a model that I haven't seen on a British Zed.....all will be revealed in time. Hopefully...... :teeth:

Maybe he can consult sl114 for some advice? :p
What?????

My consultancy fees are £300 an hour, minimum session of 3 hours and i do a discount booklet which offers my services at £250 per hour for the first 3 hours, then £200 every hour afterwards. ;) If you need help, just let me know, haha ;)

Maybe he can consult sl114 for some advice? :p
What?????

My consultancy fees are £300 an hour, minimum session of 3 hours and i do a discount booklet which offers my services at £250 per hour for the first 3 hours, then £200 every hour afterwards. ;) If you need help, just let me know, haha ;)

Thats cheap, you can't be that good :p

Hi

My Zed has immaculate Rays on it but I am getting more and more paranoid about them getting damaged/degraded (my last car a Celica VVTI, had a kind of bubbling effect on the alloys after a while). Any tips on protection, maintenance, quick fixes for scuffs, etc?

Cheers

Wash them weekly is good practice with warm soapy water. stay clear of strong wheel cleaners

Hi

Cheers

Wash them weekly is good practice with warm soapy water. stay clear of strong wheel cleaners

Agree with this.

DO NOT USE WONDERWHEELS! I find that if you use this too much it will corrode the alloys. Twice a year for a good clean should be enough and if you wash the wheels with just water and car soap every week, this will get rid of the brake dust and grime from the road. :thumbs:

Well dunno, but can anyone tell me what product to use to remove those black 'chunks' of brakedust that you get on your alloys? They really seem "baked" on the wheel, black bits of a few mm² in size, and you cannot remove them by just washing them with soap :headhurt:

Well dunno, but can anyone tell me what product to use to remove those black 'chunks' of brakedust that you get on your alloys? They really seem "baked" on the wheel, black bits of a few mm² in size, and you cannot remove them by just washing them with soap :headhurt:
That would be one of the two a year times you use wonderwheels. Just make sure you wash it all off really really well as you dont want acid on your wheels, eating away at them. :D