Country road driving

HEADPHONES

Just come back from a few days in the Lake District.

Drove around some lovely country roads where the speed limit was either 50 or national speed limit.

Would have been great if I knew the roads and it was closed off JUST FOR ME (one can dream :p ) but with so many blind bends, dips and crests with their hidden blind spots I struggled to go around 30 without worrying about some oncoming twonk straying onto my lane when cornering.

Even reckon I may have gone airborne at 50 going over some of the crests :lol:

I know 50 was the LIMIT and not the TARGET but does anyone else find it strange that it is so high here where there is just the odd cottage but as soon as there are a cluster of cottages on a STRAIGHT road double the width the limit goes down to 30 :wacko:

Maybe I'm just a woos and you lot would overtake me even driving a tractor :blush:

You just need to know the road. Think of your favourite a or b road that you know like the back of your hand, every dip, crest and surface change, then imagine what speed you'd drive down it if you'd never driven it before and didnt have a clue what was round the next corner.. or even how sharp that bend was.

There are plenty of twisty, winding, blind summited roads near me, and I know them like the back of my hand. However, there are regular timber trucks and a fair number if cyclists using them too. Sometimes the best road/driving knowledge you can have is common sense pal. Be safe! :thumbs:

You just need to know the road. Think of your favourite a or b road that you know like the back of your hand, every dip, crest and surface change, then imagine what speed you'd drive down it if you'd never driven it before and didnt have a clue what was round the next corner.. or even how sharp that bend was.

+1

Theres loads of country lanes and roads around where I live and being an biker I have spent years whizzing up and down them on fast bikes and fast cars and know them all like the back of my hand. I know what speed, gear for each bend, where each dip, each bump, each pothole is. Of course it then becomes anoying when they re-surface!

I remember test driving a bmw out a few years back and took my mate with me down one of these roads and he was literally leaving a brown smoke trail, and yet I wasnt even going as fast as I could do on that piece of road. Luckily most of the roads I like are 60mph and 60mph is plenty around the bends!

Of course, you do have to still use your common sense. Around my way, especially at harvest time you get millions of tractors, and the last thing you want is to come flying around a bend to meet a tractor.

Go for an advanced driving course. They are fantastic; great fun, very informative and help you make progress in a safe and controlled manner. I've got another 3 day one in wales next week for work and I can't wait! You finish the courses feeling far more confident in your driving and far more aware of your surroundings, overall you will be a safer driver.

Go for an advanced driving course. They are fantastic; great fun, very informative and help you make progress in a safe and controlled manner. I've got another 3 day one in wales next week for work and I can't wait! You finish the courses feeling far more confident in your driving and far more aware of your surroundings, overall you will be a safer driver.

Don't forget to smile when you pass those little white vans :drive1;)

Don't forget to smile when you pass those little white vans :drive1;)

:cry: you have highlighted my biggest fear/worry about the whole thing here :lol:

I'll see if we can go somewhere esle instead :lol: