How the **** do you fit an after market head unit?

slimjim

AARRRGGGHHH!!!!!

:rant::rant::rant::rant:

How the BLEEEEEP do I get my BLEEEPING new HU to fit? :angry:

Put in the Pioneer spacer from Sextons....

Got it all working fine.. but the holes in the damn braces don't fit....

LOOKS ace how it SHOULD be ... but I can't fix it to stay where I wand it to go!!!!

Any suggestions people? Thinking about drilling the braces where I have marked them. Someone help me before I do anything stupid? :bang:

HUF1.jpg

HUF2.jpg

HUF3.jpg

HUF4.jpg

HUF5.jpg

HUF6.jpg

HUF7.jpg

Please help people... I am dying here :byebye:

Is the brace you are showing there the one which held the BOSE, or was it supplied with the unit?

If the brace holes don't quite align then maybe just drill them and put washers behind. To be fair mine slotted straight in, but you didn't want me to tell you that.

I only used 2 of the screws on the bracket. One on either side.

I then fixed the HU to the car WITHOUT the centre console. This keans that i can take the front console off without removing the HU. The only problem is the sextons fascia surround now doesnt have any fixings. This diesnt matter too much as when you screw back the centre console at the bottom it pulls it all tight.

Any more question just pm me

Console screws to stereo, brackets Screw to stereo. Return console back into position and fix screws holding console and stereo (using bracket holes which appear top and bottom of the bracket)

Maybe pioneer have things a little different but my JVC is bolted in like a safe!!

Console screws to stereo, brackets Screw to stereo. Return console back into position and fix screws holding console and stereo (using bracket holes which appear top and bottom of the bracket)

Maybe pioneer have things a little different but my JVC is bolted in like a safe!!

Nah they are the same but a lot less fiddly to fix it to the car instead of the console thats all, and handy being able to remove the centre console without removing the stereo and all the associated wiring :thumbs:

Nah they are the same but a lot less fiddly to fix it to the car instead of the console thats all, and handy being able to remove the centre console without removing the stereo and all the associated wiring :thumbs:

especially when you start running multiple things off the headunit as the wiring is a real squeeze to get it all in.

When I put my kenwood in the fascia panel just clipped inside the console then bolted the hu to the metal brackets that then screw back onto the car it self.

My fascia never screwed to anything just clipped in and the hu and console secured everything in place by screwing over it.

Where abouts are you dude?

Ps nice hu btw, if pioneer is slightly different and there's nothing to hold the hu to the metal brace try some of the double sided foam that you use for sticking number plates it will hold in place then when you put everything back it will be secure in the console anyway with console screws.

Pps use the 2 holes at the behind the console either side of where the hu sits to hide your wires as it's a real squeeze fitting everything behind especially if you have the remote stalk and a inline booste.

First off, thank you ALL very much or the replies... :thumbs:

I started to get REALLY pi**ed off with it, so I left it for the night.

Going to try to fit it TO THE CAR with the brackets tomorrow and place the facial over hte top, see if that looks any better.

If I had tried it tonight I think I would have ended up with a smashed headunit and a smashed car.

Thanks again everyone... :thumbs:

Just going to drop the kids off at the pool... Then going to forget about the dash and bolt it to the car, then out the dash over the top and see how it looks.

Photo's (Of the install, not me laying cable) coming soon.... :lol:

WOO HOO!!!!

Sucsess!!!!

Right. Screwed it all in and it STILL didn't fit. Was only 1/4" off though.

SO... I tried to work out that the problem was. The HU was too high up. So I looked at the screws I had fixing the brackets to the HU and they were the factory standard countersunk ones. so when they screwed down, then pulled the bracket into ONE position (i.e. too high up)

... I got hold of a few DOME head screws, same size and everything. Screwed them in but kept the bracket in a position I needed it to be in and it is now border line spot on... :yahoo:

So the answer is...

Remove ALL the factory cages, they are useless!

DON'T screw it to the dash cover/fascia thingy...

ONLY screw the HU to the cars brackets and the brackets to the car.

Then put the fascia on and adjust the screws holding it to the bracket accordingly.

Oh and also, DON'T try to do it at night when you are tired and just start getting angry as you will only make it worse. :blush:

Great job mate, nice unit too at least it is full size, my one is a little smaller and has a gap at the bottom :thumbdown:

Have you decided on speakers yet?

:yahoo:

Yup, bought some Rainbows B) CS 265.25 Germanium's....

More to come on that in my Ownership thread... ;)