New Car - Need to detail ?

ioneabee

going to pick my new car soon (ish) - I've read on detailing world that it will need to be clayed etc and cleaned from "scratch"

Is there a need to do this ?, is there an easier way ? or will it just need a wash and simple wax ?

am in the process of ordering some stuff from Tim at envy - in the basket so far - wash mit, drying towel and dodo supernatural test pot

Over you go to...

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=22

If you want a simple answer, I would say get yourself a clay kit for occasional use.

I have a couple of wash mits, five or six microfibre towels, Autoglym car shampoo, Poorboys Black Hole Glaze (got a black Z) and some Autoglym sealant (recommend something like this it keeps it shiny for ages). Have some various other bits like Megs Bug and Tar, Autoglym interior shampoo and some leather treatment oil (if you have the GT).

I would also recommend some sealant for your alloys, I bought gtechniq C5 but there are cheaper options out. To clean the alloys just use shampoo and water using a mit, brake dust will just fall off if you have sealed them - no need to buy any expensive wheel cleaning fluids in my opinion.

Follow the guides in the detailing part, you wont go far wrong.

Definately either get it detailed or do it yourself but DO get it done right from day 1!

Please also reject the dealer supplied options and save yourself a fortune, what you will get off a detailer (or using the right gear yourself) will last a lot longer and the car will be prepped to a much higher standard.

Bear in mind your "new" car potentially will have been sat on the production line, at the docks, at the docks here, then stored somewhere until either the dealer takes it in as stock or you buy it!

I have seen cars that are supposedly brand new but need a real big amount of work to remove the fall out as they were stored by a railway track etc etc.

A dealer will just wash and give your car a coat of a quick polish but is not really bothered how long the end results last.

Certainly consider a decent wash, clay, paint cleanse and waxing and in an ideal world you will be protecting your car for 4-6 months right there.

Claying will be vital I promise you as it will need it, whatever make and model.

If I can help at all please give me a call tomorrow as I'm at home mainly (rare for sure of late!) (01489) 571976.

Best wishes

Tim

Bear in mind your "new" car potentially will have been sat on the production line, at the docks, at the docks here, then stored somewhere until either the dealer takes it in as stock or you buy it!

I have seen cars that are supposedly brand new but need a real big amount of work to remove the fall out as they were stored by a railway track etc etc.

Big +1 on that! Seen quite a few brand spanking new 370's on the yard lately, not looking exactly as spectacular as they should. One what would normally be lovely Merlot/Black Rose roadster last year, first one into the country over here, swirled to death. :surrender:

I agree with Envy Valeting, get it done ASAP, i did and have never regretted the expense, your car will stert off perfect and with alittle regular TLC will stay that way. I personally would also recommend getting the front protected with some form of paintshield to keep the stone chips at bay.

When I picked up my 370, I had been told it was valet'd. Interior was crap, and even found all the garage window stickers under the passenger seat. General rule of thumb for claying, is after you've washed it, to run the back of your hand on the paintwork, and if it still 'feels' grubby, claying is probably a good idea.

There are vids on youtube that help if your unsure. Makes a hell of a difference believe me!

P.S. Am I the only one who finds it theraputic? :dummy:

I preped my other halfs car when it was delivered. I found it was great for spotting any defects. I found two very small things that were rectified with no issues. If the car had been prepped by the dealer I wouldn't have found them.

It's worth making your new car actually look properly new though. :)