Any Musicians?

Jay

piano here.. people heard me play very badly while very drunk at lakes :blush: poor performance on my part, its amazing how slow your body reacts to what your mind is telling it to do when under the influence of jack and jaeger haha :lol:

I still have the videos ;) I am open to bribes :teeth:

He's actually very good :thumbs:

no videos please... :yuck: probably my worst performance ever :lol:

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played drums for nearly 8 years. Never bothered with grades.. music was about having fun and enjoying it, not measuring my competence with more bloody exams!

My kit is still the original Performance Percussion one I was bought when I first started, albeit upgraded with a nice Snare and Cymbals. The makes don't mean much with drums though.. even some of the worst cymbals I've ever had have produced different interesting tones to the much more expensive ones. It's more about how you play than what you play ;) Even when you get a battered old drum, that trashy sound can be unique and used in some types of music. My old teacher (a jazz prodigy as a child and an absolutely masterful musician) had this one Ride cymbal that he treasured. He said he bought it for £30, left it outside once and it got all tarnished, then he dropped it a few times and then beat it with tools. It had the most incredible spooky, trashy ring to it.

I also have a Zen Tambour. Beautiful sound...

I have played the guitar since i was at school(a long long time ago!).Still got a 12 string i bought in 1979 which has been all over the world with me hence the hardcase covered in stickers/beer stains/food!/FFO(ships boiler fuel) and few other things on it.

Have had a few electric ones including a Fender Strat,Gibson SG and at present a Fender Telecaster.Don't play as much as i would like but do get a chance when we have family get togethers. :band:

I played drums for about 8-9 years. Started off on a shitty old brown beat up Premiere kit.

Then moved onto a lovely black sparkle dusted Pearl Export kit.

After that I managed to get a Roland TD-20... which was a great bit of kit!

but I had to sell it to afford the Zed... a choice I am MORE than happy with! :lol:

Although I HAVE kept my original "Jon Bonham Special" - Ludwig Supra-phonic with the internal damper hammer. It is as old as me, 1978!!!

Any REAL drummers on here?

I am in a band and my drummer (I am the vocalist) actually MAKES cymbals for a living.

The guy is SO talented. Just made this crazy cymbal keyboard thing called a Gameleste for Bjorks latest album/single:

Crystalline -

(BEST YouTube video EVER!)

More recently, with being a vocalist in the band http://www.jameshardacre.com/UA/ I decided to take some singing lessons...

And I passed my grade 3 for Voice just after Crimbo :yahoo:

I play drums and have been for about 10 years. Used to be in a few bands of the Life of Agony/Kerbdog/Alice In Chains ilk, along with a metal covers band. Have a Drum World 6 piece kit (local company), and a mixture of Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste cymbals. I use a Pearl Eliminator double pedal and also have a nice Yamaha snare.

Still not very good though!

I play drums and have been for about 10 years. Used to be in a few bands of the Life of Agony/Kerbdog/Alice In Chains ilk, along with a metal covers band. Have a Drum World 6 piece kit (local company), and a mixture of Zildjian, Sabian and Paiste cymbals. I use a Pearl Eliminator double pedal and also have a nice Yamaha snare.

"If I knew what to do, I'd do it!" - Lost at 22... classic tune!

A 12 string Taylor - meh - I couldn't be arsed tuning that :lol:

:lol: It holds tuning really well. I only play it every now and then and rarely have to play around with it to get it back in tune. Never been much of a fan of Taylor guitars until I found this 12 string. I'm looking to sell one of my 6 strings but can't decided which :headhurt:.

"If I knew what to do, I'd do it!" - Lost at 22... classic tune!

:thumbs:

Ugly (the album name BTW) just full of great tunes...but Lost is defo a fav.

Only time seen them live was at Ozfest '98 down in Milton Keynes Bowl, had Whitfield Crane from Ugly Kid Joe singing. :wacko: Wasn't too bad, but a big pair of boots to fill. Managed to pick up a signed copy of the "River Runs Again" Box set a while back during a trip to Amsterdam.

After seeing Jim's post about his drummer, remembered about this guy..

Jealous of talent? Me? No ;)

My problem is... I LOVE Frank Zappa, therefore I LOVE Bozzio.

but a couple of hears ago, he "headlined" Zappanale in Germany with his "big kit", which we watched being built B)

He then went on to do an HOUR of solo stuff, with his 42 tunes toms. Which was AMAZING for about 15-20 mins. Then even the hardcore drummers got bored. S owe went drinking instead.

The man is a genius... but never ask him about 'Punky Meadows' :lol:

(Oh, and Terry has been talking to Nolan about building him something ;) )

Ugly (the album name BTW) just full of great tunes...but Lost is defo a fav.

Only time seen them live was at Ozfest '98 down in Milton Keynes Bowl, had Whitfield Crane from Ugly Kid Joe singing. :wacko: Wasn't too bad, but a big pair of boots to fill. Managed to pick up a signed copy of the "River Runs Again" Box set a while back during a trip to Amsterdam.

Yeah, saw them a few times, most memorable was at Nottingham Rock City and Keith was climbing and hanging from the lighting rig in the roof during 'through and through'. Crazy man :lol:

For me, no drummer can out Groove Purdie. To the untrained ear it may sound a lot less impressive than other drummers on youtube who go crazy fast on ridiculous kits, but believe me when I say Grooving as well as Purdie is HARD and requires an incredible amount of control. You can't help but nod your head. He brings drums back onto a musical level rather than just trying to impress with speed. The way he controls the ghost notes with his fingers in some of the shuffle videos is just amazing and sounds perfect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9jXALaMy4o

Another one of my favourites is Joe Morello of Dave Brubeck Quartet fame. I don't think any drummer can quite match his ability to play and solo in awkward swing jazz time signatures. If anyone has heard the live recording of Castilian Drums at the Carnegie Hall I'm sure you will remember the stupendous 10 minute solo. This video is awesome, pretty sure it leads into Take Five. WHERE do the sticks come from? :O So funky too. And he uses traditional grip which makes him 100 times cooler.

Oh and this one too, wait for the solo:

And last but not least, the video that made me fall in love with the Zen Tambour. This is the fabled Hang drum, a very rare and very special instrument that my one only tries to copy! I remember seeing this when it had like 50k views, no one had heard anything like it when I showed them!

ENJOY! :yahoo:

cheers mate

yeah its an 8 low F# B E A D G B E

got a nine to thats the same but with a high A string

Cool. Like I said I only play acoustic stuff these days, my old Strat has sat in a case for a few years now (sad I know... :().

I play my baritone a fair bit. Insanely hard to get a hold of in the UK for some odd reason though.