Is it a Cat D?

James B

My Dad is looking to sell his 07 Audi TT. It was hit when parked causing 2 rear panels needing to be replaced, which was claimed and done on insurance. It was all cosmetic and around £1500 to fix at an audi dealership.

Does this make the car a CAT D?

Best bet, I would pay a tenner and get a proper HPI check carried out on the car. If it comes out clear, you can advertise the car with the HPI certificate, which will potentially bring more interest ;) This will save the potential buyer a few pounds :thumbs: - Very good selling point in my opinion (if it comes out clear that is which in my opinion it most likely will!)

Short answer - probably not.

A Cat D is when it's not economical for insurance company to repair.

+1

Yep...insurers are willing to pay up to 60% of the market value of the car IIRC, if the repair cost exceeds that value then it's deemed a write-off (cat D) :thumbs:

A Cat D is a write off and for the car still to be on the road and in ownership of your Dad he would then have had to buy the car back off them and repair the damage himself. In short, it's definitely not Cat D.

I'd quite like a Cat E introduced which simply says the car has had a repair paid for by the insurance company but wasn't a write off, yes most cars would probably be Cat E but it would help to find a perfect example and may lower premiums a bit with people paying for their own minor accidents instead of making their car a Cat E.