MTB Tyre help needed

rtbiscuit

i have finally got round to sorting tyres out for my old mountain bike, i want to start using it again, but it needs new tyres and tubes. i know car tyres very well, but bike tyres are all foreign to me.

i'm looking for a semi slick tyre its mainly going to be used for road cycling with the occasional dabble in very gentle off road, like footpaths and forests etc with the wife. it currently has very nobbly off road tyres and i've found on the road they are hard work. i'm not a pro cycler, and my bike is an old mountain bike with steel frame and no suspension made by raeleigh, got it when i was about 15 years old and its still useable just needs a clean up. if i really get into it then i might look at a decent road bike.

i'd like to know what brands are good tyres, and what to avoid,

or even specific tyre reccomendations,

bike wheel says i need 26 x 2.10

any help form our experienced pedal monkies would be greatly appreciated

currently been looking at continental bike tyres as i know they make good car tyres. and browsing www.wiggle.co.uk

Have a look on wiggle.com I tend to use them now rather than legging it to a real shop. MTB tyres can be crazily expensive at £25 and up each, but I have just purchased a couple of Continentals from Wiggle for about £12 each I think. They seem pretty good so far anyway.

I will also bump Wiggle as the place to buy your tyres from (actually, the best place to get all your sport gear from).

I bought some gators for my mtb, which are slicks. They are useless off road, but on the road the difference was crazy. No longer are the old folk on their racer bikes flying past me. Not the best grip when wet though. Also they were very very hard to get on my wheel, but they did eventually go on. Don't forget that you'll need different inner tubes to your normal mtb tyres.

I'm doing the Nokia Coast to Coast race in a couple of months, which I need some semi-slicks for. Looks like another purchase will be made :)

I changed my mind at the last minute when ordering and spent £10 more and got a set of continental Double Fighter II they looked pretty :blush: and a brandi know with cars.

also got the conti inner tubes. order came to about £38 for 2 tyres and 2 inner tubes from conti, which i thought was ok. :teeth: cheapest tyres i've ever bought :lol: my new rear tyres for my car are £350 each :lol:

i just used to use a screw driver when i was a kid :shrug:

:nono: :nono:

You should use spoon handles you fool :p

Glad to see you sorted. Wiggle will have you up and running in no time. I am a platinum member which shows how much I shop there :blush: