Verifying JDM Mileage

chrispr99

Hi all,

Took posession of my JDM Fairlady Z last week and still loving it. The question I have is that the seller sold it as

84595 kilometers (52500 miles) on the clock. Simple sums show that he has divided the odometer reading by 1.6 to get to the mileage figure. However.... I have just carried out a quick test and the odometer is definately reading in miles (Got the missus to drive behind me for one mile).

So based on my research from this forum, the car has to be imported and converted into miles on it's day of arrival in the UK. This was completed back in 2005. The recorded mileage at that point was 29000 Kms or 18020 miles.

Now, to get the true mileage I would use the current odometer reading of 84595, subtract the 29000 kms from when it was back in Japan and add the 18020 miles. To get me to a figure of 73615miles, which is substantially more than 52500.

The car appears sound, but the service histroy is way out if the mileage is this high. For example Cam Belts, P1\2\3's....

Does it sound like I have been fleeced? Has anyone else encountered this problem with a seller?

Cheers

You know you have had the wool pulled over your eyes.

Private sale of dealer?

I belive it is illegal to misrepresent the mileage of a car. Did he list the kms or miles in the advert?

+1 looks like you have been had. Suspect its private? You could take it back and enter into debate, was the 'mileage' written on the receipt? If so you could have them legally I suspect?

It was a private sale on Ebay. I still have the advert, what would you lot recommend I do?

I paid around £5k or it and apart from some brake vibration from high speed everything seems sweet on the car.

I did a MyCarCheck.com before purchasing the vehicle and it showed up as

81000 miles recorded on 13 Sep 2010

and

8000 miles recorded on 21 may 2009

I also did a check via VOSA for previous MOT's and it showed the mileage as

March 2011 - 84438 Miles

March 2010 - 77753 Km

March 2009 - 71127 Km

March 2008 - 58909 Miles

October 2006 - 35610 Miles

April 2006 - 28849 Miles (Imported certificate shows 29000 Kms (18020 Miles) at this point)

The problem is, there is no receipt for CamBelt changes needed at 60k Miles, which means it is way overdue. :rant:

It switched back to KM for a couple of years 2009 to 2010? That seems odd? I guess there is a reason it was £5k, there are some bargains around but on average you get what you pay for I suspect. For your own peace of mind maybe run it over to a local garage and get a mechanic to spend a couple of hours going over it?

Whats the ware like on the seats? always a good sign of a cars age. post a pic as mine has just gone 53000miles and the stitching on the leather seats is a wee bit frayed on the driver door side but apart from that look in good condition. I bet a higher mileage car would have much worse fraying and faded leather.

But JDM's rock, if you get the right one ;)

Careful though, just refurbed my seats and took 20k miles off em ;)

But yeah look for wear and tear etc - still not quite sure how your car switched from km to miles to km then back to miles, in any case get a good mechanic to give it a once over make sure the car is mechanically and structurally sound then go out and enjoy it - for £5k you wont get a much better sports car!

Yeah the car is mechanically sound (apart from a vibration when breaking from high speed). Yeah the drivers seat has some wear. I have attached some picks.

Just took her on a spin to Bournemouth and it was massively enjoyable. I agree £5k is a bargin for this much fun. I dont suppose 20k miles will change that.

Do the JDM's have a louder exhaust? Ive seen other 350z's (uk spec) but they dont seem as loud.....