Stainless Exhaust Rattle

doigadam

I have just had a stainless Y section and stainless de-cat pipes fitted. When I put my foot down a strange rattle noise comes from the exhaust. I have checked all the bolts and looked for anything that could rattle. It sounds like its coming from inside the exhaust. Anyone know what this could be? Do I need to be taking it back to the garage?

the rattle comes from the decats mate. Thats the sound that decats make. This is the reason why most people opt for resonated decat pipes.

Mines also sounds metally when decelerating using engine braking

Drove to work this morning. I hate the does. Sounds like the car is falling to bits. Anyway of getting rid of it apart from putting the cats back on?

options

1. put cats back on

2. swap to hi flows

3. swap to resonated

4. don't drive it

5. dont' use more that 2000 rpm in any gear with no spirited driving

6. live with it.

Drove to work this morning. I hate the does. Sounds like the car is falling to bits. Anyway of getting rid of it apart from putting the cats back on?

options

1. put cats back on

2. swap to hi flows

3. swap to resonated

4. don't drive it

5. dont' use more that 2000 rpm in any gear with no spirited driving

6. live with it.

You'll still get it with high flow cats and resonated decats. Its just not as bad.

Mmmm I wasn't expecting the rasp with hfcs, but it's not too bad now. I think something is loose though as I still get a rattle easing off from ~2k revs.

I'm not even sure adding another resonator would help, nismo already has one and that doesn't get rid of the rasp.

I'm kinda liking the hiss you get when easing off now though.

I have a Nismo system from Y pipe back and also decats and don't get any metallic rattles when accelerating.. and definitely no rasp. yeah you get the hiss when backing off but this happens with majority of decats on n/a engines.

Are you sure a join isn't leaking anywhere

I have a Nismo system from Y pipe back and also decats and don't get any metallic rattles when accelerating.. and definitely no rasp. yeah you get the hiss when backing off but this happens with majority of decats on n/a engines.

Are you sure a join isn't leaking anywhere

It only happens when it's quite warm tbh and even then, it seems to be getting better slowly. Used to do it all the time when easing off from 2k when warm. I'm not sure how a leak would cause the sort of noise. As other people have mentioned it could well be rattling against something, either way, i'll see whether abbey find anything when it goes in.

Put a video up and we can tell you if it's rasp or rattling. :thumbs:

Urr, it really is both :p Not so much rasp now really at all tbh, that seems to have gone. Not sure about the metallic rattle, but I assure you, it's not rasp. It's something rattling against the cats when warm.

Either way, it's the least of my concerns atm.

I have just developed the same sound within the last two weeks.. It happens when revving hard, acc and dec, very annoying fast rattle.. It's in the garage at half 4 today, so will keep you informed.. To me it reminds me of a rattley heat shield.. I'm sure it's getting worse!

Right, found my problem. Two metal brackets either side of the prop shaft were vibrating! You would never think they would cause so much buzzing.. He temporarily fixed the sound for it to come back. I'm sure he said they needed M9 bolts?! He didn't have the right size. I'm thinking I'll jack her up and place some sticky rubber sheet between the bracket and the bottom of the car. The metal brackets hold small plastic covers on. Hopefully someone can tell you what they are actually called!!??

I will put a video clip on of mine over the weekend. Also got in the car this morning and the engine managment light has come on three days after having the decats installed... Any ideas?

To be expected, either live with it or get some non foulers from some of the traders on here, think Alex has some. They basically reduce how far the sensors reach into the exhaust.

Just been back to the garage and got mine back up on the ramps to make sure nothing was catching. The exhaust is miles away from anything. I don't think the noise is just the decat. It's too loud. When the engine is cold it sounds horrible. Sounds like something is falling off. It also rattles from 2500rpm to 3500rpm. I've had the y piece changed as well. Could it be anything in the Y piece?