Potential purchase

Squee

Have you taken the zed for a test drive yet? :thumbs:

Not yet - I was offered when I went to view on Saturday but daft as it sounds I knew I'd get a bit too nervous with the dealer in the car so I'm going back with my Dad tomorrow who knows far more about engines than I do so will go for a spin with him. Bless him, he's even going to get his ears syringed in the morning so he can hear properly :lol:

Any tips or pointers for us?

Cheers,

S.

:lol: at the ear syringing, he will be able to hear EVERYTHING!! Check for leaking pipes in the engine bay, i remeber i had leaking power steering fluid on mine coming from just behind the front bumper, turned out to be a perished pipe. Not sure if this is a common issue though. :)

Enjoy the test drive you will love it, gear changes take a bit of getting use to at first. :thumbs:

Let us all know how it goes.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you've got an iphone the MyCarCheck app. is very good. You can check for free the basic details of the car and then for a couple of quid extra you can check the mileage, history and compare valuation (although the last one is a little pointless). It's linked with the DVLA and the Police so the data is pretty reliable, you do need wi-fi though.

I'm in love! had an awesome time on the test drive - thought I was going to make a right tit out of myself and goof the gears up but seemed to take to it straight away (maybe as my current car is a Nissan?).

There were however a couple of noises which shouldn't have been there which the dealer forwarned us of (although we'd obviously have heard them) - one being caused by a wheel bearing and the other from the heat shield which the dealer has promised will be fixed up. There's a mechanical garage on site and the Zed would also come with full MOT and service and 3 months warranty.

We suspect that it has had a little bump in the past as the two rear lights look different - on the drivers side there's a slight gap between the casing and the bodywork (dealer says this will be sorted) and also there's red casing on drivers side and not on the other. The paintwork is all fine and no bumps or scratches on the rear. Here's pics of the rear lights:

Zed-02.jpg

Zed-03.jpg

With regard to cosmetic damage in general it's in good nic for the age but of course there are a few little scratches which I guess show on a black car. The worst body damage is on the lower wheel arch on the drivers side. Pic here:

Zed-01.jpg

I really, really did love this Zed and just need to plan my negotiating now - listed on the garage's website and Autotrader for £8,995 but when my colleague, who knows the dealer, enquired on my behalf they said £8,500 to him (this was before I visited the garage). Any thoughts?

Thanks again as ever all - reckon I'll have to get a round in on my first meet :thumbs:

S.

I've been a bit greedy and seem to have two similar threads on the go (will ask mod to merge) - here's my report of the test drive :cloud9:

I'm in love! had an awesome time on the test drive - thought I was going to make a right tit out of myself and goof the gears up but seemed to take to it straight away (maybe as my current car is a Nissan?).

There were however a couple of noises which shouldn't have been there which the dealer forwarned us of (although we'd obviously have heard them) - one being caused by a wheel bearing and the other from the heat shield which the dealer has promised will be fixed up. There's a mechanical garage on site and the Zed would also come with full MOT and service and 3 months warranty.

We suspect that it has had a little bump in the past as the two rear lights look different - on the drivers side there's a slight gap between the casing and the bodywork (dealer says this will be sorted) and also there's red casing on drivers side and not on the other. The paintwork is all fine and no bumps or scratches on the rear. Here's pics of the rear lights:

Zed-02.jpg

Zed-03.jpg

With regard to cosmetic damage in general it's in good nic for the age but of course there are a few little scratches which I guess show on a black car. The worst body damage is on the lower wheel arch on the drivers side. Pic here:

Zed-01.jpg

I really, really did love this Zed and just need to plan my negotiating now - listed on the garage's website and Autotrader for £8,995 but when my colleague, who knows the dealer, enquired on my behalf they said £8,500 to him (this was before I visited the garage). Any thoughts?

Thanks again as ever all - reckon I'll have to get a round in on my first meet :thumbs:

S.

and also there's red casing on drivers side and not on the other.

S.

Yeah, they're all like that. FYI, there's only one reversing light, Nissan decided to save us all a few bob :D

Pete

Go in at a cheeky £7500, you can always go up from there. It depends how much your maximum is, you must have a figure in mind? If there is a lot of cosmetic damage, you can use this to haggle if you want to get this stuff sorted. :thumbs:

Go in at a cheeky £7500, you can always go up from there. It depends how much your maximum is, you must have a figure in mind? If there is a lot of cosmetic damage, you can use this to haggle if you want to get this stuff sorted. :thumbs:

Sounds like a good plan! My initial budget was £8,500 but I was ideally after a Zed with lower miles and wouldn't want to pay more than £8k for this one. I'm a right bugger for a bargain but not used to haggling with car dealers and don't want to be laughed at and told to f-- off if I go in too low.

I'm going to go back on Monday to try and complete the sale. I'm thinking that most garages have their interest from prospective buyers on a Saturday/Sunday and I'm hoping that they wouldn't have any enquiries of the Zed this weekend so when I pop down on Monday they'll be more inclined to listen to my offer.

If you're clever with detailing products can hide a multitude of sins, even on black paint. ;)

Another good plan! I'm a t-shirt printer by trade and use the same kit that's used for decals - will have to be restrained else the poor little Zed'll end up with 'go fast stripes' all over :lol:

S.

If you're clever with detailing products can hide a multitude of sins, even on black paint. ;)

Poorboys Blackhole FTW!!!!......it can make the shittiest of cars come back to life - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47828&hilit=passat+of+doom

From those piccies it looks like its got some natty spats on the rear bumper too - they'd cost a few bob I think (pretty sure they aint standard)

Poorboys Blackhole FTW!!!!......it can make the shittiest of cars come back to life - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=47828&hilit=passat+of+doom

From those piccies it looks like its got some natty spats on the rear bumper too - they'd cost a few bob I think (pretty sure they aint standard)

Heya Ricey,

Sorry for the late reply- for some reason this thread was showing as not responded to on the pc so just seen your reply whilst browsing on my phone!

The rear bumper is in super nic so i think the ugly marks must be reflections of my face ;) is it the mark to the left of the light on the drivers side? That's the relflection of my white on black shelltoes if so!

Headin down to the garage to hopefully tie up the sale tomorrow so wish me luck!

S.

No dude you misunderstood ......spats are like a little add on the left and right rear underside of the bumper not damage. They look quite cool.

Don't worry if its got a few marks here and there....like bronzee said there are plenty of potions to sort that.

Doh! Dumbo me read "natty spats" as "nasty spots" :lol: I'll blame reading the post on the little screen on my mobile.

Anyhoo, said Zed is mine! paid the deposit and will be collecting at the weekend. I'm unbelievably excited and thanks all again for your help and advice.

The dealer would not budge on the price (although car listed as £8,995, he had reduced on first viewing to £8,500 as we have a mutal acquaintance) but before I'd seen the car I knew I wanted a black GT with leather seats and I knew I wanted to pay in the region of 8.5k. Getting one with the Nismo kit is the cherry on the iceing on the cake and having the peace of mind from buying from a dealer is all good too.

This is going to be a looooooong week to wait!

S.

Cheers Ricey and Steve :)

Yeah, I'm pleased with the price too - I know that there's quite a few Zeds on the market for a lot less and some people might feel that I paid too much but I was happy to pay that bit extra for what I wanted.

The dealer has also given me a 'gold warranty' which means I can elect to have work carried out at any garage of my choosing.

Next purchase will be parking sensors - what with me only being 5'2" and the Nismo spoiler I can't see too well out the back :lol:

S.