British "must pay to use roads"

Kennydies

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6160877.stm

Is it me or arn't we already paying to use the road.

We pay, car tax, "congestion charge", tax on petrol, tax on insurance....grrrr

Also in the article it says the money raised would pays for trains and buses. Why should the driver subsidise other modes of transport that would collapse, by the governments own admission, if only 5% of people stops using their cars and used public transport.

Its possible that Im actually in a minority here who think this may be a good idea.

For example, I pay £110 road tax on the Golf, and do maybe 10,000 miles.

Yet I pay £190 for the Z and it does maybe half the mileage.

There are positives and negatives for such a system, but I dont think it is beyond the realms of possibility.

Its actually the linking of tax to polution that really gets on my threpenny bits.

Lets say they rebranded road tax as "polution tax" (in fact it is that in all but name now anyway)

The new car Im intent on getting to replace the Golf, has a CO2 level of 167gkm - and with about 16000km per annum, thats 2,672KG of CO2 pumped into the atmosphere, all for a cost of £160.

The Z has a C02 rating of 288g/km, and wil do about 9000km per annum which is 2592KG of CO2 pumped out for a cost of £190 (£210 for a new one thanks to the newly created bracket)

So the Z would actually cost £30 a year more in order to pump out 80KG of CO2 less!

I totally dissagree with taxes being linked to polution, without taking into account the actual usage of the offending machine/device.

Some motorway cruisers will be paying lesstax than my Z, but pottentially pumping out much. much more CO2. So how can this tax be based on emissions?

There is no way we will be better of, otherwise they wouldn't do it. We will get stung, plus our roads are already shabby and we have no transport alternative.

Ban Caravans, do road works at night, make all kids get the school bus, only allow lorry's in the slow lane. Ban long distance coaches and anyone with a crap car

:angry::rant:

Chesterfield - I agree 100% - the whole polution thing is a complete scam. So I only do 7000 a year in my Z yet I have to pay more tax than someone who does 25,000 in their car which might be twice as good as mine on emissions but due to them doing 4 times as much driving they are still producing twice the amount than I am.

They have to clearly define what they are trying to do. There is NO NO NO NO way they will reduce tax on petrol.

The 'might' get rid of road tax BUT if they did I would say 0.01% of people might actually save money. The majority I bet would be looking at twice/three times what they used to pay.

I think overall it is a much fairer way of doing it BUT I know the government are not going to put it in such that those doing less than average pay less than they did and those doing more pay more. Virtually everyone will end up paying more (also the fact due to it being a goverment scheme it will cost 1/2/3 billion to introduce)

Yeah, I suppose asking for tax raised from roads to be spent on roads is a bit far fetched, but why should it be.

Im a believer that tax for a particular item should be based on the costs of providing the infrastructure etc for the particualr item.

i.e alchohol tax should be split and fund the health service and policing (alchohol fueld crimes etc)

tax from cigarettes to fund the enforcement of ban and the national health service

tax from petrol, on the roads,

tax from businesses to pay for business waste services etc.

Rather than chucking it all into one pot and splitting it out wherever the government deem fitin order to try and swing a few votes.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6160877.stm

Is it me or arn't we already paying to use the road.

We pay, car tax, "congestion charge", tax on petrol, tax on insurance....grrrr

Also in the article it says the money raised would pays for trains and buses. Why should the driver subsidise other modes of transport that would collapse, by the governments own admission, if only 5% of people stops using their cars and used public transport.

I absolutely agree with you - the goverment already collects various forms of tax, and roads and other public services is already part of what it's supposed to provide with that tax collected. This kind-of tendendency lately of governments to want to pretend that we don't already pay for certain things that are covered by general tax collection so therefore they then want to invent new taxes so we "do" pay for them, does nark me off as well.

As for congestion: You need to provide reasonable alternatives if you want to make a serious dent in congestion problems. Just raising taxes will only make everyone poorer and angrier unless there's an actual reasonable alternative to getting in your car...

My £0.02 worth.

What are the Londoners/Southeners take on this, with having a congestion charging system in place already? I've been told my quite a few people that it had an impact for about a month then its been back to normal again.

Flaming ridiculous if you ask me, public transport is simply not a viable alternative to driving (plus it all stinks like multi storey stairways) so until that can be sorted out how the hell can they justify putting more tax on the motorist?

Seems to me if we kicked out all the illegal immigrants and stopped taking any more in (be it illegal or not), plus made benefits a DAMN sight harder to obtain then we wouldn't really be in this mess.

:rant::rant::rant:

What are the Londoners/Southeners take on this, with having a congestion charging system in place already? I've been told my quite a few people that it had an impact for about a month then its been back to normal again.

Flaming ridiculous if you ask me, public transport is simply not a viable alternative to driving (plus it all stinks like multi storey stairways) so until that can be sorted out how the hell can they justify putting more tax on the motorist?

Seems to me if we kicked out all the illegal immigrants and stopped taking any more in (be it illegal or not), plus made benefits a DAMN sight harder to obtain then we wouldn't really be in this mess.

:rant::rant::rant:

Personally i never go into the congestion charge as i dont want too, however i just dont see why everyone just doesnt pay and then watch the government try to recoup all the costs from over a million people!!!

That way, we win! B)